none
Far Cry game instalation under x64 windows 7 beta.

Question

• Hi all...

I'm testing the x64 version of the windows 7 beta on my games machine... I've installed Fallout 3 (unpatched) and have no problems with it after hours of play. I've installed COD 4, although I've not tried it yet to see if it works (I still have it installed under my other boot option). So I thought I'd try Far Cry (the original) as I wanted to see the x64 enhancements available for it, I've never used an x64 OS before due to reliability issues I'd heard about.

Unfortunately I can't even get the installer to work. It starts fine, goes through all the install options, then when the instalation actually begins it returns "error -1603"

Looking at this error, it would suggest I don't have administrator priveleges or am running out of disk space... Neither is the case... I have over 200GB of freee disk space split between two drives, Far Cry requires 4GB, so space isn't an issue...

Things I've already tried:

1. Running the setup as administrator.
    2. Running the setup in compatability mode for XP SP2.
    3. Running the setup with both of the above.
    4. Installing to different directories, namely c:/program files/... c:/program files (x86)/... d:/program files/... d:/program files (x86)/...
    5. Using different source dvd's (I have my friends copy here also)

I believe it might be windows defender causing the problem, as it now wants to submit the file F:/setup.exe (F:/ being my DVD drive).

I'll disable defender, reboot and try again... But in case this doesn't work does anybody have any suggestions?

EDIT: Disabling defender makes no difference... I have however got the installer running as I type this. You have to uncheck the "install DirectX 9.0b"

And the installer's just finnished... Now to apply the patches and the x64 patches... Watch this space...
    Tuesday, January 13, 2009 6:51 PM

Answers

• I would believe you will need patches to run Far Cry on Windows 7.  Since the game only supported up to XP at the time of its release.  If the installer even goes thru.  You can still install DX9 as it will not over write your DX10 files.  Use the DX Runtimes installer.
    ~Alex T.~Windows Desktop Experience MVP~
    Friday, January 16, 2009 4:43 AM

All replies

• I would believe you will need patches to run Far Cry on Windows 7.  Since the game only supported up to XP at the time of its release.  If the installer even goes thru.  You can still install DX9 as it will not over write your DX10 files.  Use the DX Runtimes installer.
    ~Alex T.~Windows Desktop Experience MVP~
    Friday, January 16, 2009 4:43 AM
  • I have installed Fallout 3 into Windows 7 32bit.
    Had no problems with the install or playing the game.
    But.....
    It doesnt show up in the Games Explorer.  Or in the Start menu.
    I had to manually add a shortcut into the games explorer.
    Friday, January 16, 2009 7:26 AM
  • Hi Funky,

is it Fra Cry or Far Cry 2?
    Fra Cry 2 is running fine on my 64bit version.
    Mayby try to disable UAC and try again to install as Admin in compatiblity mode.

Groovy ;o)
    Friday, January 16, 2009 10:08 AM
  • I hate to respond to a post that's been out for more than 2.5 years, but I had this same problem, and found a solution-  Don't install DirectX 9.0b.  I found that leaving this option unchecked allowed the install to move forward.  So somehow the installer is having an issue with the newer DirectX already on my PC.
    • Proposed as answer by bbuzzard7 Wednesday, July 06, 2011 8:40 PM
    Wednesday, July 06, 2011 8:40 PM