none
Can not get disk defrag/task scheduler to run.

Question

• I have Windows 7 x64.  I am a single PC not in any network or home group.  When I attempt to run the Disk Defrag I get the following error.

"Disk Defragmenter cannot start because the task scheduler services is not running.  Start the task scheduler service and try again."

I then attempt to run the Task Scheduler, and it gives me the error "The remote computer was not found."

I click ok on the error and it goes into Task Scheduler but most of the options are grayed out.  I click Task Scheduler (local)/ connect to another computer.  The Select Computer window pops up and I select Local Computer (the computer this console is running on).  It then gives me the error "The remote computer was not found."  I am at a loss as to how to get my Task scheduler working, so I can run my defrag utility.  Any suggestions?

Wednesday, May 09, 2012 4:13 PM

Answers

• Update : I ended up downloading a free 3rd party cleaning utility that also repaired registry errors etc.  After running the utility and rebooting the machine I can once again run my defrag utility.  Thanks for the assistance earlier.

• Marked as answer by Sabrina Shen Wednesday, May 23, 2012 5:18 AM
    Sunday, May 13, 2012 7:18 PM

All replies

• Hi ,

Did you try going into Services and starting Task Scheduler?

1.Press Winkey+R, type services.msc and press Enter or click GO.

2.Scroll down to Task Scheduler and double click on it.

3.Set the Startup type to Automatic then click on the Start button.

Please make sure all the required services for Task Scheduler were started like: 

Remote Procedure Call

Eventlog service

DCOM Process Server Launcher

If the Task Scheduler service cannot be started in the services.msc, please take the steps below:

1.Press Winkey+R, type regedit and press Enter.

2.Find HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Rpc\Internet key, remove it and restart computer.

Hope it helps.

Tracy Cai

TechNet Community Support

Friday, May 11, 2012 6:07 AM
  • Followed step 1.  Found Task Scheduler and double clicked.  All options on window are grayed out.  It will not allow me to change the start up type from disabled to Automatic.

According to the services window Remote Procedure Call, DCOM Server Process Launcher and Windows Event Log Service are all started and set on automatic, however all but the Windows Event Log Service were grayed out when double clicked.  Is there something that needs to be changed in the Windows Event Log Service that will allow me to make changes to the Task Scheduler window?

I also tried the last option you listed.  Went into Regedit looked for the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Rpc\Internet key.  It does not exist in my Regedit.  Still at a loss, thanks for the info so far though. =)

Diane

Friday, May 11, 2012 9:01 PM
  • Update : I ended up downloading a free 3rd party cleaning utility that also repaired registry errors etc.  After running the utility and rebooting the machine I can once again run my defrag utility.  Thanks for the assistance earlier.

• Marked as answer by Sabrina Shen Wednesday, May 23, 2012 5:18 AM
    Sunday, May 13, 2012 7:18 PM
  • Hi. I also have a Windows 7 OS. Have been trying to follow your steps but none seem to work. Your first suggestion I cannot select Automatic because it's grayed out and with your second suggestion I find HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Rpc but not Internet key. Any other suggestions?
    • Edited by Vickie P Sunday, August 05, 2012 8:24 AM
    Sunday, August 05, 2012 8:13 AM
  • Got exactly the same problem:

- Task Scheduler starts but does not show any history

- cannot connect to external computer error message

- schedule service appears not be running when clicked on in Service window

- can't restart scheduler of modify start options when rightclicked in Services window

Can anyone help me out?

Friday, August 30, 2013 11:45 AM