none
Windows 8 wont recognize my LG blu ray drive!! What can i do?

General discussion

• I built myself a new pc and started it up for the first time about a month ago running windows 7,,everything worked great..

I recently upgraded to windows 8, everything seems to be working fine except for my optical drive...I have been looking around online all day and have found that this is a common problem. 

As such, i have tried all the common solutions talked about on all the forums,,,,

I tried: rebooting, unplugging and replugging, plugging into a different SATA2 port on my motherboard, plugging into a SATA3 port, going into Command prompt under administrator and copying and pasting the HKLM code (which even says successful after I hit enter)

all these attempts have not worked,,

My brand new LG CD/DVD/BluRay drive does not work....

Whenever i go into control panel and check my devices there is a yellow exclamation point by the drive,, so it recognizes it as a device.. but wont allow me to use it..   The model is an LG WHN14NS40 drive

When I go to trouble shoot it it says "there is a problem with the driver for HL-DT-ST BD-RE WH14NS40. Reinstalling the driver might fix this problem." there is an option for "Apply this fix" when i click it it says "Troubleshooting was unable to automatically fix all of these issues found."

I've spoken to LG and their devices don't have driver installs that I can download,,, and there is no firmware uploads either.....

What can fix this???? im loosing my mind, please help!!

Rob

Monday, November 19, 2012 11:23 PM

All replies

• Hi rtex8,

Lose the first N in the model quote-I only found a WH14NS40.

Enter device manager and remove\uninstall the device. Then, right-click computer and scan for hardware changes.

I had this thought after going through the pain you have suffered at LG's lame support site...

The drive appears to use a SATA 1.5gb transfer rate. Win8 looks at SATA 1 as "legacy".

Check your BIOS settings for USB to determine if you can dumb down a port.

Also, check for a BIOS update for the motherboard.

If it is Intel based, visit Intel and run the Intel auto-updater (requires installing software that you can uninstall later)

I don't have any further ideas, except don't buy LG computer products. They make nice appliances.

Tuesday, November 20, 2012 3:56 PM
  • Hey NanoWarp,

You are right about the "N" that shouldn't have been there. Typo.

In regards to the remove/uninstall tab, I did that, and when I right click and select "scan for hardware changes" the drive comes back and it still has the yellow exclamation point (!) after it..Was that supposed to change or something? because it looks exactly the same.

As for changing around the BIOS, just so I'm clear,, are you saying to go into the UEFI setup utility of my board (which btw is an ASROCK H77PRO MVP running an INTEL chip) and see if I can trick the board into thinking that the SATA2_4 port which the drive is plugged into is actually a USB port?

I'm in the setup utility right now and under the tab "Advanced/Storage Configuration" the only option I see is to change to SATA2_4 port from disabled to enabled. After i enabled it however I booted up the computer and when I try to click on the icon it says "(BLANK)-pc is denying access to your PC. Contact the owner of the media server to allow your pc to access it." i dont know what this means. I've since went back into the utility and changed it back to disabled since that's what it was and that's what all the other storage drives are set to and they are working fine.

On the Intel site I ran the auto-updater and all it says is that my graphics driver is current, and my chipset INF is valid.

On the ASRock website the only update is for an ASMedia SATA3 driver. Which I installed once before when I for switched over to Win 8. But just for fun I did it again to be sure. After installing I plugged the drive into a SATA3 port now. still nothing...

BTW my pc still says "(BLANK)-pc is denying access to your PC. Contact the owner of the media server to allow your pc to access it." if i try and click on the icon for the other driver that its showing even though I changed it back to disabled..

i dont know.....just getting more and more frustrated.....and so it goes...

Appreciate the help...Thanks!

RTex8

Wednesday, November 21, 2012 6:28 PM
  • I have several LG optical disks and they all work fine

if there is a problem its clear that the chipset drivers are at fault

I need more machine specs to be of further help

Windows MVP, XP, Vista, 7 and 8. More people have climbed Everest than having 3 MVP's on the wall.

Hardcore Games, Legendary is the only Way to Play

Developer | Windows IT | Chess | Economics | Vegan Advocate | PC Reviews

Wednesday, November 21, 2012 8:35 PM
  • Hey Vegan Fanatic..

Yea Id love some help with this issue...So frustrating.

Well I already spec'd out the board up above.. But I have an LGA1155 chipset, with an Intel 3rd gen i7-3770 chip.. Im not sure what other hardware on the pc could be effecting the drive other than these 2.

thanks 

Thursday, November 22, 2012 5:00 PM
  • http://www.windows-it.tk/wp/cd-dvd.php

Windows MVP, XP, Vista, 7 and 8. More people have climbed Everest than having 3 MVP's on the wall.

Thursday, November 22, 2012 6:43 PM
  • HEY MICROSOFT-IT SUPPORT PEOPLE!! I COULD REALLY USE SOME SUPPORT HELP RIGHT ABOUT NOW!!

I still cant get my drive to work....I have no idea what the problem is.

After looking around on more forums. I found:

"Windows 8 does not recognize my DVD drive" posted by Bakapen on March 1, 2012

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_cp-hardware/windows-8-does-not-recognize-my-dvd-drive/f115e396-34df-4795-8c72-b2d4029346a5?tm=1353701964098

Wael Helwe.

(Microsoft Forum Moderator)

replied on March 3, 2012

Hi Bakapen,

Can you open System Information, go to Components > Problem Devices and tell us what's listed there exactly?

Also can you share your hardware information(Machine Name, Model, CPU, RAM, ..etc)?

After reading  this I was gonna follow these same steps and post my hardware specs hoping it would help. In doing so I realized that when I did a search for System Information I do not have a tab for it, all I had was a tab for PC-Friendly System Information. I looked around and found that PC-Friendly is some older version of legit copyright software that helps run dvd options on disks.... Why this took the place of my regular Windows 8 System Information, I don't know...Maybe it came pre-loaded on the drive or maybe it was on a disc that I watched when I had Windows 7 running, back when the the LG optical drive was working, about a month ago. I've since uninstalled PC-Friendly thinking my regular System Information tab would come back... It hasn't..

Could this be the root of my problem????

I should also mention that there was an AVG system Information icon that came up when I found PC-Friendly system information on my computer.This Icon was ran by AVG PC Tune-UP because I have AVG2013. Just like with the PC-Friendly I also uninstalled AVG PC Tune-UP thinking my windows 8 regular System Information would come back, but to no avail.

Could this be related to the drive problem I am having????

I'm really hoping you guys can come through and help me here... I have a brand new PC with a brand new optical drive running a brand new OS, WHY IS THE DRIVE NOT WORKING!!!!!!

Thanks for any help you can give...

Friday, November 23, 2012 8:46 PM
  • HEY MICROSOFT-IT SUPPORT PEOPLE!! I COULD REALLY USE SOME SUPPORT HELP RIGHT ABOUT NOW!!

I still cant get my drive to work....I have no idea what the problem is.

After looking around on more forums. I found:

"Windows 8 does not recognize my DVD drive" posted by Bakapen on March 1, 2012

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_cp-hardware/windows-8-does-not-recognize-my-dvd-drive/f115e396-34df-4795-8c72-b2d4029346a5?tm=1353701964098

Wael Helwe.

(Microsoft Forum Moderator)

replied on March 3, 2012

Hi Bakapen,

Can you open System Information, go to Components > Problem Devices and tell us what's listed there exactly?

Also can you share your hardware information(Machine Name, Model, CPU, RAM, ..etc)?

After reading  this I was gonna follow these same steps and post my hardware specs hoping it would help. In doing so I realized that when I did a search for System Information I do not have a tab for it, all I had was a tab for PC-Friendly System Information. I looked around and found that PC-Friendly is some older version of legit copyright software that helps run dvd options on disks.... Why this took the place of my regular Windows 8 System Information, I don't know...Maybe it came pre-loaded on the drive or maybe it was on a disc that I watched when I had Windows 7 running, back when the the LG optical drive was working, about a month ago. I've since uninstalled PC-Friendly thinking my regular System Information tab would come back... It hasn't..

Could this be the root of my problem????

I should also mention that there was an AVG system Information icon that came up when I found PC-Friendly system information on my computer.This Icon was ran by AVG PC Tune-UP because I have AVG2013. Just like with the PC-Friendly I also uninstalled AVG PC Tune-UP thinking my windows 8 regular System Information would come back, but to no avail.

Could this be related to the drive problem I am having????

I'm really hoping you guys can come through and help me here... I have a brand new PC with a brand new optical drive running a brand new OS, WHY IS THE DRIVE NOT WORKING!!!!!!

Thanks for any help you can give...

• Proposed as answer by Paddyh01 Friday, December 07, 2012 6:42 PM
    Friday, November 23, 2012 8:46 PM
  • Hi rtex8,

Been away, sorry for not responding...

It seems that you have done everything to get the drive to work...

LG specs the drive as Win7 and earlier compatible with no firmware updates.

No, I didn't intend to suggest that you change the boot configuration or the drive usage. I thought perhaps you may be able to configure the port differently, which you cannot.

One item left to try. Insert a disk into the drive and see if it will read it. Check to see if the drive appears in Computer with the disk in it.

Saturday, November 24, 2012 6:16 PM
  • cd dvd and bd drives all use the same ata command set, no driver needed

if there is a problem, consider malware as being a possibility

Saturday, November 24, 2012 6:23 PM
  • Hey guys thanks for getting back to me. Yea I know LG spec'd the drive for win 7 and older that's why they say they cant help me. Its just frustrating I'd hate to go through the pain of returning it just to have them come out with firmware for it in like a months time. Its just hard for me to believe that this one drive, which is a fairly recent model, is somehow incompatible with win 8.

Unfortunately inserting a disk does nothing. Same if I boot up the pc with a disk in there.

And I find it hard to believe its malware. The computer is brand new, i really doubt i have a virus, Ive barely used the thing.

And what do you make of the whole system information option disappearing???? could those be related?

Appreciate the help, I'm new to forums and you guys have been much more help than any lg tech support.

At this point im wondering if i should just go back to windows 7...

Saturday, November 24, 2012 9:42 PM
  • recently i read a report of new computers shipping with malware on them as it penetrated the factory installers

clearly there is a problem with the SB chip driver as that is where disk controllers are taken from

Saturday, November 24, 2012 9:46 PM
  • I just found this on the device manager when I explored the properties of the drive.

Under General it says:

"Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged. (Code 19)"

Don't really know what that means.

Under Driver File Details it says:C:\WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS\cdrom.sys

C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\GEARAspiWDM.sys

C:\WINDOWS\System32\Drivers\PxHlpa64.sys

Don't know why there is three

Under Events it says:

11/24/2012 4:46:27PM Device configured (cdrom.inf)

11/24/2012 4:46:27PM Device not started (cdrom)

then it says under information:

Device SCSI\CdRom&Ven_HL-DT-ST&Prod_BD-RE__WH14NS40\4&1a58a66f&0&040000 was configured.

Driver Name: cdrom.inf
    Class GUID: {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
    Driver Date: 06/21/2006
    Driver Version: 6.2.9200.16384
    Driver Provider: Microsoft
    Driver Section: cdrom_install
    Driver Rank: 0xFF0005
    Matching Device ID: GenCdRom
    Outranked Drivers:
    Device Updated: false

Saturday, November 24, 2012 10:00 PM
  • open the command prompt as an administrator

then run

sfc /scannow

Saturday, November 24, 2012 10:04 PM
  • Just finished the scan..

Verification 100% complete.

Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.

Saturday, November 24, 2012 10:26 PM
  • well spend some $$ and upgrade to blue-ray

my current lg drive has not died yet, not bad after 3 years after the previous one croaked

dos up like it, including 8

HL-DT-ST-DVD-RAM GH22NS30

Saturday, November 24, 2012 10:31 PM
  • Well i appreciate the help..And this is a Blu Ray drive..I bought on New Egg..

Actually just checked their site and out of their top 20 optical drives, LG accounts for 9 of them, mine of which being one. So I cant imagine that they make crap devices, unless that info is based on most popular drives not necessarily most reliable drives.

I'm hesitant on buying another LG though.  

Saturday, November 24, 2012 10:48 PM
  • there are several makes and models of bd drives now

i only cited my drive as it still works, my server dvd drive is even older and it still workd

probably get a usb bd myself so i can use it on portables as well as the gaming box

Saturday, November 24, 2012 10:54 PM
  • Im not much of gamer so i wanted to find an internal drive that wouldnt break the bank but was also rated well, I thought I found it in the WH14NS40, but alas I was wrong.
    Saturday, November 24, 2012 11:00 PM
  • bd is sony's technology but they do not make drives anymore and stick to their ps3 as the only bd platform they make now

Saturday, November 24, 2012 11:11 PM
  • Well I'm not buying anything yet.. Gonna keep my fingers crossed about this and stay positive. There might be a fix coming soon.

I was just on the LG website and saw that only 4 days ago they posted a software update for the WH12LS39. It is the windows 8 firmware update for this blu-ray writer. This model is older than mine... Lets hope this means there is an update coming soon for my model...

Saturday, November 24, 2012 11:35 PM
  • if you have an old dvd drive kicking around try that and see if it comes up ok

Saturday, November 24, 2012 11:41 PM
  • Process of elimination..Good idea. Ill try that...
    Saturday, November 24, 2012 11:43 PM
  • I would need an IDE to SATA adapter for the old drive to work with the new board. But it was a good idea
    Sunday, November 25, 2012 12:08 AM
  • ebay is chock full of adapters for everything imaginable

Sunday, November 25, 2012 12:10 AM
  • I have a slightly different BD drive (same brand I think) and it works
    fine in Windows 8. 

I was looking at your older messages and you say this driver:

C:\WINDOWS\System32\Drivers\PxHlpa64.sys

Was in your drive properties.  It doesn't show in mine and maybe
    that's what is getting in the way.  I think it's a roxio driver and
    maybe uninstalling whatever installed that will get you going.

Here's a kb article that is pretty much the same thing for earlier
    OS's.  The Win7 directions should be okay for Win8.

Bob Comer - Microsoft MVP Virtual Machine
    Sunday, November 25, 2012 12:37 AM
  • I have the Exact Blu-Ray burner follow the instruction, it fixed myWH14NS40 drive.

Run Command Prompt as an Administrator.

Type cmd in Windows 8 Metro UI and press cltr+shift+enter

Type following and enter

reg.exe add "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\atapi\Controller0" /f /v EnumDevice1 /t REG_DWORD /d 0x00000001

“Best if you copy and paste the above it it is not correct it will not work”

Go to lower left-hand corner right click to bring up “power user shortcut menu “

Select Device manager

Click on IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers

Right click on ATA Channel select properties

Click on Advanced Settings tab

Until you find the ATAPI Cdrom

Make sure the DMA checkbox is not selected

"DMA on drive does not work on my machine anyway, works but the further into the blu-ray you read the slower it runs.

Reboot the system Verify if the problem has been resolved.

Monday, November 26, 2012 12:12 AM
  • @ Bob Comer> I tried deleting the (C:\WINDOWS\System32\Drivers\PxHlpa64.sys) in the drive properties. You mentioned it could be related to Roxio. I went into add or remove programs figured I could delete Roxio, only there is no Roxio installed on my system, so I don't know what else to remove.

I've tried to run the microsoft fix-it tool on that link, but it says that the fix-it tool won't work on my OS and then it closes. I guess because that is meant for win 7.

@Clif_Hawk> I have ran the HKLM code in the Command Prompt several times before and even after it says it was successful nothing has changed and the drive still does not work.

I went into Device Manager and under IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers there are 4 things listed:

Asmedia 106x SATA Controller

ATA Channel 0

ATA Channel 1

Intel(R) 7 Series /C216 Chipset Family SATA AHCI Controller

The only one similar to what you suggested is under the ATA Channel 0:

In Advanced Settings the only thing it shows under Devices is:

ATA Disk  PIO Mode 4
    I unchecked the Enable DMA box inDevice Properties but it's still not working.

Though the fact that you have the same drive and it's working on your system does gives me hope..

@ Microsoft IT Support People> Does Microsoft have Windows 8 Tech people that can remotely check my computer via go-to-assist?

Monday, November 26, 2012 3:04 PM
  • Hi,

How about install Windows 7 driver?

You’d better contact LG for further help for driver issue.

Thank you for your understanding.

Leo Huang
    TechNet Community Support

Thursday, December 06, 2012 8:26 AM
  • Hi,

I struggled with Windows Pro 8 MCP not recognizing my LG DVD. It worked fine in Windows 7 but it only would show up as a hidden, greyed out device in Windows 8. I has a second LITE-ON drive which had the same problem. I swapped cables, reinstalled the latest BIOS and still nothing. I tried adding the line to my registry that had been recommended to no avail. I spent 4 hours with the Microsoft help desk in my PC and they were stumped. Since both DVD drives were made in 2009, I bought a new LG drive. It was not recognized either. I went to the LG web-site and downloaded the latest firmware for the drive but I had NO WORKING DRIVE to load it on. On reading the firmware up date instruction I found the answer for me at least. It stated that to update the firmware you "must have the SATA drive attached as a Master drive on the secondary drive controller". I detached the HD I had there, attached the LG DVD drive and bingo Windows 8 recognized the drive!!! I tried the same with my other two DVD drives and all were recognized!! It turns out that Windows 8 will not recognize SATA DVD drives attached as SLAVE drives! I has been attaching my DVD drives as SLAVE drives. So, see if my solution works for you. Once your drive is recognized go to the drive manufacturer's web site and update your firmware to Windows 8 compatible.

Hope my "week of hell experience" helps someone else.

Paddy

Friday, December 07, 2012 6:57 PM
  • Paddy,

Thanks so much for your tip.  Moved the LG Blu Ray drive to a SATA Master and viola, it now is recognized under windows 8.  This problem caused lots of wasted time for me so thanks for providing a solution that worked.  Microsoft please fix this for windows 8 since bios recognized the disk but windows 8 didn't.

Thanks,

Randy

Monday, December 10, 2012 11:42 PM
  • there is no such thing as master SATA, its only 1 cable to a device from 1 header

master/slave goes back to the IDE era when jumpers were needed to slave a drive (hit or miss if it would work)

Monday, December 10, 2012 11:50 PM
  • Agree.  Meant to say that I moved the SATA cable on the motherboard so that the drive appeared as a Master drive vice Slave drive on the controller board. 

Tuesday, December 11, 2012 12:20 AM
  • how old is your system board, even my antique D915PGN I lost long ago showed SATA as discrete units while EIDE were shown normally

Tuesday, December 11, 2012 12:26 AM
  • You are correct kind of: motherboards do have primary and secondary controllers even in new boards. BIOS typically defaults to emulating IDE because many people want to use an old hard drive with critical info on it. You have to set a jumper on IDE drives for master/slave. You are correct that SATA drives do not have such a jumper and are not seen as all "Master" drives in the IDE parlance. Unfortunately Windows 8 appears to believe we are still in the IDE age and if you do not place the SATA CDROM/DVD drive on the secondary controller in the "MASTER" slot, Windows 8 can't see the drive. I don't know what motherboard "R_SD" above has but mine is an EVGA P55 with the newest A74 BIOS and a second generation Intel i5 processor. Not all that old. I would not be so fast to criticize as to educate people and offer potential solutions to their problems. I'm just saying.

Paddy

Wednesday, December 12, 2012 10:09 PM
  • Just a suggestion,  I have a windows 7 pc that I had upgraded from Vista.  After the upgrade my dvd drive rarely works.  It might work for playing one disk, then it craps out.  I finally bought an LG super multi external drive and that has worked perfectly, for me.  I just bought a Dell Inspiron 15R laptop with windows 8 64-bit preloaded.  It has a blu ray/dvd drive on it.  After I have booted up my win 8 pc, my blu ray drive will not open manually, using the eject button on the drive.  I actually have to reboot the pc, then open the drive while it is booting up and then I can use the drive.  Watching a movie, it works fine, provided I left it open when I booted.  I plugged my LG super multi external drive into the usb port and it works fine on the win 8 pc, also.  The external drive cost me about 80 bucks a couple of years ago, it's just that it is one more piece of equipment that I have to carry, if I want to create double density dvd's.  Still don't know why my internal drive will not open, manually, without rebooting.  But the external drive may be a solution for you, especially if you are using a desktop unit.  Hope that helps.   Ron
    Tuesday, January 29, 2013 1:10 AM
  • Dell is notorious for being hard to upgrade the OS on. The seems to want to use proprietary gear a lot.

Tuesday, January 29, 2013 1:18 AM
  • You just open "computer management" -"disc management",you will see it there,right-click"change driver letter and path"-choose "add" in new pop up window that appears-choose letter-finished...Ta daa!
    Tuesday, July 16, 2013 8:37 PM
  • Using the old IDE compatibility mode is the problem, AHCI is the way now, so enable that in the BIOS

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Msahci

change this to zero

then reboot

Corsair Carbide 300R with window & Corsair TX850V2 70A@12V

Asus M5A99FX PRO R2.0 CFX/SLI & AMD Phenom II 965 C3 Black Edition @ 4.0 GHz & G.SKILL RipjawsX DDR3-2133 8 GB 

GTX 260 SLI 216 core (GT200 Tesla) & Asus PA238QR IPS LED HDMI DP 1080p

ST2000DM001 & Windows 7 x64 Enterprise

Microsoft Wireless Desktop 2000 & Wacom Bamboo CHT470M

Place your rig specifics into your signature like I have, makes it 100x easier to understand!

Hardcore Games, Legendary is the Only Way to Play

Tuesday, July 16, 2013 9:08 PM