none
Windows 7 Beta Product Key

Question

• Is a product key required? When I click "Get" to obtain a product key in my TechNet subscription, I get the following error:

An Error Has Occurred

There was an error error while trying to retrieve requsted key information and we cannot process your request.

You can try to:
    Reference Id: 15BBB2A9

This error has been logged with the reference number noted above. Please use this reference number if you contact support. 
    Thursday, January 08, 2009 3:20 PM

Answers

• Product keys are not required for Beta download but are needed within 30 days of download. Anyone who did not receive a product key during their original download, simply need to return to the download site and click the “product key” tab to secure an individual product key.
    Windows Client IT Pro Audience Manager for Web Forums
    Friday, January 09, 2009 3:19 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Yes, a key will be needed if you were to use >30 days.

Try getting a key from TechNet a few days later, they might be experiencing some technical issues. If the problem persists after a few days, try contacting TechNet directly.

Jabez Gan [MVP] - http://www.msblog.org
    Thursday, January 08, 2009 4:23 PM
  •  I am an MVP and a Technet subscriber, but I find that the "Key" column is grayed out; nothing happens when I hover my cursor on it or when I click on it.
    www.WinVistaClub.com
    Thursday, January 08, 2009 4:37 PM
  • Could be a browser issue - to test, try another browser.
    Could be a TechNet issue - contact them to see.

- John
    Thursday, January 08, 2009 5:03 PM
  • I had the same issue. The problem whas that I had 2 TechNet Subscribtions and I don't know why, but the expired subscription was set as default. Click on "Manage my subscriptions" and check if you have chosen the right one.
    Peter Forster, MVP Virtual Machine, Austria
    Thursday, January 08, 2009 5:09 PM
  • Hi,
    Getting the same error.
    Server overload?
    Anyone successful in getting Windows 7 beta key  with a TechNet Plus subscription?

Thanks
    Thursday, January 08, 2009 5:46 PM
  • Hi,

On MSDN Subscriber Download next to lik to get keys is this message:

The activation keys are currently unavailable. Please install without using keys and check back in a few days to claim the keys. Sorry for the inconvenience. 
    Zvonimir Mavretić
    Thursday, January 08, 2009 6:55 PM
  • Yes, I am getting the same thing. (The activation keys are currently unavailable. Please install without using keys and check back in a few days to claim the keys. Sorry for the inconvenience.)  You can still install and run Windows 7 for 30 days.

Joe
    Thursday, January 08, 2009 7:14 PM
  • This is a known issue and they are currently working to fix this issue.  Once the problem is resolved we will be sure to let everyone know that they can get their serials.  Until then it can be used as a 30-Day trial till the serials are available.  No functionality will be removed in this time and the serials will be available before the 30-Day Limit is up.
    ~Alex T.~Windows Desktop Experience MVP~
    Thursday, January 08, 2009 7:51 PM
  • Product keys are not required for Beta download but are needed within 30 days of download. Anyone who did not receive a product key during their original download, simply need to return to the download site and click the “product key” tab to secure an individual product key.
    Windows Client IT Pro Audience Manager for Web Forums
    Friday, January 09, 2009 3:19 AM
  • Thats true ! no need to enter product to install Windows 7 for 30 days but it must be activated to send feedback or suggestions via given shortcut on desktop.

Well...now MSDN & TechNet both subscribers can get their individual keys...and its working all the way...no more errors.
    Friday, January 09, 2009 10:24 AM
  • True, we can always install it for a month. But we still dont have the serial.
    www.WinVistaClub.com
    Friday, January 09, 2009 12:30 PM
  • A short massage, sorry when lowbit offtopic.

When i activate my Win7 now and "work" with it, can "reaktivate" it when the final vers. is out? Or will i need to reinstall it?

Win7 from now 4 ever :-D !
    Friday, January 09, 2009 2:42 PM
  • Where do you go to get the serial for Windows 7? Will it be available here?

Can someone post a link please.

Thanks Dobbin04
    Saturday, January 10, 2009 7:39 AM
  • Get here:
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-gb/evalcenter/dd353205.aspx
    Monday, January 12, 2009 12:39 PM
  • Thank you for this link, but this site will redirect me to:
    https://www.microsoft.com/library/errorpages/smarterror.aspx?aspxerrorpath=/betaexperience/productkeys/win7-32/enus/default.aspx

I was able to download a product key for windows 7 64bit beta, is this key usable for the 32bit version too?
    Monday, January 12, 2009 2:07 PM
  • I can confirm, even for x64. This is one of Microsoft "smart" ways to tell you that they have problems with a page. Try it again later or wait for a reply from Microsoft staff.

Btw. I hate redirections on errors. (i) If I have a typo in the address, I could not fix it by a simple update of the address bar. (ii) Microsoft has not-working links on its site frequently. Redirection does not allow me to hitting F5 until they make it works. (iii) Live Search has not found anything useful yet (even on normal search).
    • Proposed as answer by MCCZ Monday, January 12, 2009 3:00 PM
    Monday, January 12, 2009 2:59 PM
  • How about keys to activate the Home Premium edition of Win 7, available?
    Monday, January 19, 2009 3:44 AM
  • Home Premium is only a private test of 1000 users.  There are no Home Premium public beta keys available.

Reference: http://www.neowin.net/news/main/09/01/15/windows-7-home-premium-and-server-betas-available-to-public
    • Proposed as answer by MCCZ Monday, January 26, 2009 2:21 PM
    Monday, January 26, 2009 2:20 PM
  • Indeed... The public beta is for Ultimate - and Ultimate trumps Home Premium (and all the others) anyhow...
    Monday, January 26, 2009 2:44 PM
  • Even though the Windows 7 Beta Customer Preview is no longer available, you can still find or register for a product key there.
    Thursday, March 19, 2009 10:46 PM
  • Even though the Windows 7 Beta Customer Preview is no longer available, you can still find or register for a product key there.

When the product key is generated from this site, and I plug it in (manually or copy/paste) it tells me it is invalid for Windows 7? 
    Tuesday, September 29, 2009 4:16 PM

When the product key is generated from this site, and I plug it in (manually or copy/paste) it tells me it is invalid for Windows 7? 

Hi, the Beta product keys are valid for prerelease builds only (Beta, RC). You need to use a purcharsed product key for activate the final (RTM) version.
    • Proposed as answer by MCCZ Tuesday, September 29, 2009 4:24 PM
    Tuesday, September 29, 2009 4:24 PM