none
Installing RAID drivers to an existing Windows 7 Ultimate installation

Question

• I have already installed Windows 7 Ulimate on my home built computer.  I have found that I can enable the RAID function on my motherboard, create a Mirrored array with my boot drive and another identical drive, and have it try to boot normally.  I know that I have to install the RAID drivers from my motherboard manufacturer (MSI), but I do not know how to install them after I have Windows 7 already installed.  I have tried this multiple times even going as far as entering the boot menu and selecting the option that allows me to install drivers.  I loaded the drivers onto a floppy disk but the drivers cannot be found when Windows looks for them.  I have sucessfully removed the RAID set and reconfigured my system back to a single drive system, but I want to have the protection of a mirrored drive system.  MSI has instructions on how to configure the RAID during an install but not after the operating system has already been installed.  My system components are listed below:

Motherboard: MSI 790GX-G65
    Processor: AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 945 Processor, 3000 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
    RAM: 4gb
    Hard drives: WD Raptor 300GB (2)
    Operating system: Windows 7 Ultimate Upgrade from Vista Ultimate
    BIOS: AMI A7576AMS V1.5

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    Sunday, January 03, 2010 6:31 PM

Answers

• Hello,

If you successfully set up the Hardware RAID to an existing Windows 7 Ultimate installation, Windows 7 will be no long boot up. To enable Hardware raid, you need to reinstall windows 7 and install raid controller driver during installation.

I recommend you involve a software RAID. Software RAID is more flexible than Hardware RAID. How to set up a software raid, refer this article.

As for the controller driver, If you would like to reinstall windows 7 and ebale hardware RAID. Click here to download the correct controller driver for 790GX-G65.  

Thomas77
    Monday, January 04, 2010 8:55 AM

All replies

• Hello,

If you successfully set up the Hardware RAID to an existing Windows 7 Ultimate installation, Windows 7 will be no long boot up. To enable Hardware raid, you need to reinstall windows 7 and install raid controller driver during installation.

I recommend you involve a software RAID. Software RAID is more flexible than Hardware RAID. How to set up a software raid, refer this article.

As for the controller driver, If you would like to reinstall windows 7 and ebale hardware RAID. Click here to download the correct controller driver for 790GX-G65.  

Thomas77
    Monday, January 04, 2010 8:55 AM
  • I seem to have done this exact thing with out realizing it on my Windows 7 Pro. I installed a sata controller so I could use my new blue ray burner and when I rebooted I keep getting the blue screen. I thought it was the Jmicron driver that was installed so I unistalled it all with no luck. I can now only boot in IDE mode. Prior to this I had everything running great. SSD OS with 4 WD640 Raid 5 on my Asus P^TD Deluxe. Is there anyways I can reverse this effect. I don't have a restore point to go to. Or do I need to reinstall Windows again.

Will I lose my raid 5 Data? Please say I won't. Uhg!!

Thanks.

Thursday, May 20, 2010 9:22 AM
  • Being able to do this is a shot in the dark.  I have a biostar T790GXE and it must be special.  It has 6 sata ports on it with two modes for raid setup.  The last two ports (5&6) can be set to IDE when raid is enabled.  Certain Motherboards offer this as an feature (turned on and off) and others offer this standard when raid is installed.

Here is what I did,

Installed SBS 2011 (basically windows 7) to my 320 gb HDD, I am using a 250 as backup (planning on switching soon).  I then put 2 1tb Segate Baracuda's on the system and enabled raid 1 for them for redundancy.
    Here is where each HDD is plugged into on the mobo

Sata 1: Empty
    Sata 2: Empty
    Sata 3: Seagate Baracuda
    Sata 4: Seagate Baracuda
    Sata 5: WD 320
    Sata 6: WD 250

I enabled raid and enabled a sata combined mode on my mobo and viola.  I can't garuntee that this will work, however I have heard of other people's motherboards lacking the combined mode but having sata 5&6 as ide when raid is enabled.

Sunday, January 02, 2011 7:46 AM