none
Windows 7 (or VISTA) Driver for wireless USB adaptor SMC 2862w-g eu

Question

• The wireless USB adaptor SMC2862w-g eu doesnt work proper with Windows 7 RC (havent checked it with Vista but XP is OK).
    Any suggestions?
    Is there a general issue with wireless adaptors in W7 RC?
    Havent found a VISTA driver also.

Thanks
    Saturday, June 13, 2009 8:02 AM

All replies

• LTgermany,

The driver available from this page claims to support Windows Vista, although I'm dubious as I wasn't able to find anything on the official site which supported anything newer than XP. If, in fact, SMC is not providing a Windows Vista driver, you may not have much luck getting this device working under Windows 7.
    -Alex
    Saturday, June 13, 2009 3:14 PM
  • The driver at that site is the XP driver package from SMC, however on a side note I have a SMC2662-W V3, my driver will install from windows update or an automatic driver search if connected to the internet
    there appears to be 3 versions of that model, making it difficult for me to check this weekend (slow connection), if you want, retrieve the hardware id for the adapter from device manager, enter the string that looks similar to USB\VID_0707&PID_EE13 in the search bar on this site (http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/home.aspx) to see if a driver is available online or connect with another means (possibly ethernet or modem) long enough to check online for a driver update...
    PS looks like hit and miss, I entered one string, got a lot of matches
    http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/Search.aspx?q=USB%5CVID_0707%26PID_EE13
    entered another version, not so lucky, havn't tried the V1 model yet PS, it seems that the one version is identical to Driver Model: EZ Connect g 2.4GHz 802.11g Wireless USB Adapter Driver Provider: Ralink Version: 3.1.0.0 Version Date: 10/8/2007 If the hardware id of the device matches USB\VID_0707&PID_EE13 then try the RaLink driver
    • Edited by shakeyplace Saturday, June 13, 2009 4:04 PM
    Saturday, June 13, 2009 3:57 PM
  • Thank you all,

i will try your recommendations.

Bye
    LT
    Tuesday, June 16, 2009 1:30 PM
  • Hello LTGermany,

Have you been able to resolve your question?  If so please post the answer so others can see or if you need more help let us know.
    -Scott
    Thursday, June 25, 2009 11:28 PM
  • I was able to get this to work with Windows 7 RTM by downloading the XP drivers from SMC's website, then running it in XP compatibility mode with Admin priveledges.
    Saturday, December 26, 2009 1:58 AM
  • I was able to get this to work with Windows 7 RTM by downloading the XP drivers from SMC's website, then running it in XP compatibility mode with Admin priveledges.
    It didn't help for me ( having Windows 7 Home Premium). The program does work fine but the computer simply doesn't recognize the adapter... :(. Does anyone know a solution or does only buying a new adapter help?
    Thursday, February 11, 2010 6:09 PM
  • I have the same problem, because I have Windows 7 Home Premium 64bits. But I think that the main problem is that it's difficult to find drivers for 64bits versions. Because my pc doesn't even recognise the drivers I downloaded for Xp. Has anybody found some drivers for vista or win 7 64 bits?

• Proposed as answer by El Mitico Thursday, August 09, 2012 3:10 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by El Mitico Thursday, August 09, 2012 3:10 PM
    Friday, June 17, 2011 12:02 PM
  • I came across this problem and solved it using the driver provided here (from PRISM software, that luckily has the same chip at this SMC device)

http://wikidevi.com/wiki/Intersil/p54/usb/windows

you will see that in the list somwhere is

%A022_DESC_STR%     = PRISM_A022,        USB\VID_1260&PID_EE22		;SMC 2862W-G version 2

which has the VID and PID that coinceeds with my SMC, model SMC2862W-G and part number 99-012084-449, that i think is the third revision (V3) of this hardware.

It is currently working in Windows 7 64 bits, using WPA2

• Proposed as answer by n0r3lli Tuesday, September 11, 2012 3:20 AM
    Thursday, August 09, 2012 3:15 PM
  • http://wikidevi.com/wiki/Intersil/p54/usb/windows  this page can't open any more, can u forward me a copy of the new driver?
    Friday, October 04, 2013 8:44 PM