none
Windows Update Failed Error Code 0xc8000247

Question

• hi ..., i need help regarding the windows update issue.

i'm using windows vista business sp2 running on lenovo thinkpad sl300.

i want to upgrade my harddrive since i need a bigger capacity. so, i try to move my data on old harddrive to a new one.

i'm already try to migrate my harddrive several ways:

1. i try to clone my harddrive with sector by sector copy

2. i try to use rescue and recovery (utilities from thinkvantage)

3. i try to use backup and restore center (windows complete pc backup)

all of them give me the result, everything works just fine, except i no longer can run windows update and all related to it, for example microsoft security essentials.

i already try to fix the windows update with microsoft fix it http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058/en-us with normal and  aggresive mode, none of them works.

can anyone help me on this?

Regards, Ferry Huang
    Monday, March 07, 2011 4:38 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Ferry Huang,

please uplaod the file C:\Windows\WindowsUpdate.log.

André

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code"

Want to install RSAT on Windows 7 Sp1? Check my HowTo: http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=150221
    • Proposed as answer by Harkanwar Singh Wednesday, February 12, 2014 11:37 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Harkanwar Singh Wednesday, February 12, 2014 11:37 AM
    Tuesday, March 08, 2011 1:42 PM
  • Hi Ferry,

Please temporarily disable the third party security programs to test this issue and you may boot in  Clean Boot to check if it is able to perform Windows Update properly.

If the issue persists, please upload the WindowsUpdate.log file:

How to collect the WindowsUpdate.log file
    ================================
    1. Click the "Start" Button, type "WindowsUpdate.log" (without the quotes) in the Search Bar and Press Enter. We will see a file named "WindowsUpdate.log"
    2. Now click on the "File" menu and then click on the "Save As".
    3. From the left panel, click "Desktop" and click the Save button.

You can refer to the following link to upload the information:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproui/thread/4fc10639-02db-4665-993a-08d865088d65

Regards,

Sabrina

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights. |Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Wednesday, March 09, 2011 5:26 AM
  • Hi Andre,

thanks you for your response, here is the file which you need http://cid-ccc5524257467dee.office.live.com/self.aspx/0xc8000247/WindowsUpdate.log

Regards, Ferry Huang
    Wednesday, March 09, 2011 5:36 PM
  • Hi Sabrina,

thank you for your response, here is the file which you need http://cid-ccc5524257467dee.office.live.com/self.aspx/0xc8000247/WindowsUpdate.log

and thank you for your tutorial for using the skydrive.

Regards, Ferry Huang
    Wednesday, March 09, 2011 5:47 PM
  • Hi Andre,

thanks you for your response, here is the file which you need http://cid-ccc5524257467dee.office.live.com/self.aspx/0xc8000247/WindowsUpdate.log

Regards, Ferry Huang

2011-03-05    04:29:09:331    1440    b94    DtaStor    FATAL: Failed to initialize datastore, error = 0xC8000247

Try this FixIt to repair the Softwaredistribution folder:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058

Want to install RSAT on Windows 7 Sp1? Check my HowTo: http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=150221
    Wednesday, March 09, 2011 5:52 PM
  • Hi Ferry,

I agree with Andre. You may go to take the steps in the http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058/en-us manually.

If it does not work, please refer to the following steps:

Rename SD folder and subfolders

=========================

1. Click "Start", in "Start Search" item, type: "notepad" (without quotes) and press Enter.
    2. Copy the following commands and then paste them into the opened Notepad window:

net stop wuauserv
    ren %windir%\SoftwareDistribution\WuRedir WRold
    ren %windir%\SoftwareDistribution\DataStore DSold
    ren %windir%\SoftwareDistribution\Download Dold
    ren %windir%\SoftwareDistribution\SelfUpdate SUold
    net start wuauserv

3. After pasting the above commands, please close the Notepad window. Choose "Save" when you are prompted to save the file. Type "register.bat" as the file name and choose "Desktop" from the left panel as the location.

After that, please reboot in Clean Boot environment.

4. Refer to the Desktop and right click the register.bat file, then choose "Run as administrator".
    5. You will see a DOS-like window processing.

Please check the update issue again.

Regards,

Sabrina

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights. |Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Thursday, March 10, 2011 2:18 AM
  • Dear Andre,

i already try this one, and still didn't works :((

Regards, Ferry Huang
    Thursday, March 10, 2011 3:18 PM
  • Dear Sabrina,

i already try to fix it manually, i also delete the softwaredistribution and catroot2, but when i register the dll, there are some error saying the dll is missing or not valid (something like that), then i also already follow the steps in clean boot section, none of them can bring my windows update back to work :((

is it possible, if this problem happened because microsoft also use the harddrive s/n to validate the license?

Regards, Ferry Huang
    Thursday, March 10, 2011 3:25 PM
  • but when i register the dll, there are some error saying the dll is missing or not valid (something like that),
    maybe some DLLs are damaged.

Please start the command prompt (cmd.exe) with admin rights [1] and run sfc [2]:

sfc.exe /scannow

Is it able to find and repair broken files (create the txt file shown under [2] and look if all files are restored)?

best regards
    André

[1] http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/How-do-I-run-an-application-once-with-a-full-administrator-access-token
    [2] http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833

• Marked as answer by Sabrina Shen Tuesday, March 22, 2011 9:32 AM
    Thursday, March 10, 2011 4:08 PM
  • Dear Andre,

i'll try it later, and will let you know the result.

but i'm a little bit confused, what do you means by this "(create the txt file shown under [2] and look if all files are restored)" ? <-- forget about this, i already got it :p

btw, when i'm doing complete pc backup with backup and restore center, is it better to turn off all the security features? (like AV, firewall, user account control, etc) and should i do the backup with default administrator login?

thank you

Friday, March 11, 2011 11:30 AM
  • but i'm a little bit confused, what do you means by this "(create the txt file shown under [2] and look if all files are restored)" ? <-- forget about this, i already got it :p

the link under [2] shows you how to sue the findstr command to generate the text file.

Monday, March 14, 2011 4:47 PM
  •  how to sue the findstr command

Well, isn't that American! OK that sfc.exe didn't succeed in helping me with the same problem - but to actually sue it...?

I cloned the HDD in my portable to replace it with a 500GB one, but that also gives me a non-working Windows Update.

"FATAL: Failed to initialize datastore, error = 0xC8000247" is also in my Windowsupdate.log, none of the suggested remedies work...

Monday, July 11, 2011 8:56 PM
  • I did the same - replaced the harddrive used the one recovery in Lenovo and now no windows update....Microsoft!!!! What the Hell were you thinking!
    Saturday, September 03, 2011 4:11 AM
  • I'm running Vista X64 SP2.  I encountered the same issue described above.

I cloned a 320GB drive to a 640GB drive.  System booted and everything else appears to be fine.  I'm on that computer now as i update this note...

~~~~~~
    Tried to perform Windows Update and get following error:

Windows Update cannot currently check for updates, because the
    service is not running.  You may need to restart your computer
    ~~~~~~

Tried to perform Microsoft Security Essentials update and get following error:

Virus and spyware definitions update failed

Security Essentials could not check for virus and spyware
    definition updates due to an Internet or network
    connectivity issue.

Error code:0xc8000247
    Error description: Security Essentials couldn't install the
    definition updates.  Please try again later.

Tried multiple times still fails
    ~~~~~~

Everything else appears to be working other than Windows Update & Windows Security Essentials.

Please help us with this issue...  Please advise. 
    1) I tried restarting the computer multiple times - didn't work

2) I tried restarting, stop then starting wuauserv service - didn't work

3) I made disabled firewall & antivirus - didn't work

4) I made sure following programs were working and running:
    C:\Windows\System32\svchost.exe
    C:\Windows\SysWOW64\svhost.exe

5) confirmed C:\Windows\system32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs was running too

Please help us...

If there is anything i can provide, let me know....

Thanks in advance...

• Edited by SG_NO Saturday, October 08, 2011 11:48 PM
    Saturday, October 08, 2011 11:37 PM
  • Ran following: ( Microsoft Windows Update " Fix It " ), but it didn't work 

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058/en-us

How do i upload WindowUpdate.log fle
    • Edited by SG_NO Sunday, October 09, 2011 12:26 AM
    Saturday, October 08, 2011 11:43 PM
  • ANyone get updates to work?  Microsoft can you help us?

Tuesday, October 11, 2011 6:21 PM
  • Has anyone got updates to work?  Is microsoft going to read this forum and help us?

Tuesday, October 11, 2011 6:22 PM
  • I am also running into issues, I recently got a SMART warning of imminent failure on my 320GB WD Scorpio in a TM2 by HP.  I upgraded to a 500GB advance format Hitachi and am trying to recover using the HP Recovery disks I orderd for the computer.

Initially i had trouble getting the the Recovery disks to work, but eventually got windows 7 to load.  After which it proceeded to crash.  I ran the recovery utility  (installed as part of the factory image recoverey) from a separate partition on the Hard Drive to create a Minimal windows install.  This appeared to be stable, except the problem was that the windows update didn't work.  What I eventually found was a link to an HP Driver for High Density Drives at http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c02219204&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN This is basically an Intel Rapid Storage Technocolgy Driver as I understand it.

This immediately fixed the windows update issue, and appeared to be just what I needed.  Then after a week I realized with the minimal Windows install my touch screen functionality was totally useless, so I proceeded to start updating/adding the drivers I thought were necessary and eventually drove my computer to crash again, requiring a recovery... again.  This time I was able to get a full recovery, to open windows, and as a first step installed the SP47845 so that update would work and I could get my computer straight from the beginning.  that worked, but my second step was to install Norton which  upon restart caused the machine to crash again.

This time I deleted the partitions and wiped the drive with a Magic Partition Tool bootable disk, and proceeded to run another recovery.  again this time the recovery failed at first but after then recovering from the recovery partition a full recovery windows 7 was installed that appeared to be stable. 

then i learned that my partitions could be misaligned since i am using an advanced format 4096K sector drive instead of the factory installed 512k sector drive, and proceeded to track down Hitachi's align tool to align the partitions for an advanced format sector layout.  it turns out that only the HP Diagnostics partition was off a bit, and was quickly remedied using the Hitachi Align Tool (as i understand WD has their own align tool, and others may as well).  upon restart after re-aligning the partitions, check disk ran (for hours) on the windows partition resulting in no issues.

I'm hesitant to reinstall the SP47845 again for rapid storage for two reasons, one, I found a later version of the driver at Intel's website http://www.intel.com/support/chipsets/imsm/sb/CS-031502.htm the second reason is that on that page it specifically says: "If you try to install the operating system on a 4k sector disk with a driver older than Intel® RST version 9.6, the install process might not complete.  If the operating system does install, do not try to upgrade to Intel® RST version 9.6 without reinstalling your operating system."  My OS did install, also, if I install the driver, and reinstall the OS, i don't see how Windows will keep the Rapid Storage Technology driver, since it basically reinstalls all the drivers when it does a recovery.

maybe somebody who knows more about the intel rapid storage technology driver, or tries it, can elaborate??  Also if there's something I'm missing about the instruction to reinstall the os after installing the driver please advise

• Proposed as answer by Gregishere Wednesday, May 09, 2012 8:45 AM
    Friday, October 21, 2011 2:46 PM
  • I'm having the same problem not being able to update Windows Vista from SP1 to SP2.  I'd liketo upload my Windows Update Log for folks to look at - how do you do that?  Should I just copy the text from it into the body of this question?
    Monday, January 23, 2012 2:53 AM
  • yeah me to i fixed it with reimage which performs a reinstallation of windows over the interenet try it here http://reimage.softwaresummary.com

Tuesday, February 21, 2012 4:16 AM
  • Solved!
    I also had the same problem on a Win 7 64bit Home Premium Packard Bell's reinstalled with the original CDs (it was "released" from the factory), on my hard drive being large (1TB).
    - Updated the Intel driver "Intel Rapid Storage Technology": http://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?lang=eng&ProductFamily=Chipsets&ProductLine=Chipset+Software&ProductProduct=Intel%c2%ae+Rapid+Storage+Technology
    - Restart the computer
    - Windows Update OK!

Thank Jay - Man :-)

• Edited by Nick-Tech Sunday, March 11, 2012 4:06 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Sue-Cat Saturday, March 17, 2012 12:56 AM
    Sunday, March 11, 2012 4:04 PM
  • Wow... I had same problem, yada yada yada.

I updated the intel driver as per Nick-Tech instructions - now fixed! Awesome! Thank you Nick. :)

Saturday, March 17, 2012 12:58 AM
  • Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

I've been searching and trying everything multiple times for about 10 hrs now. Almost ready to get win 7. I just installed this new HD from a 350gb 5400rpm to Seagate 500gb 7200 about a month ago. Used the Seagate Acronis tool to do a sector copy. Everything seemed fine at first, then I noticed the Index Service wasnt' working correctly, Explore would crash, then I fixed that issue.

This is the fix that worked for me, so it isn't Windows fault, if it is the Intel driver.

Again, this was the fix for my Windows Update and Microsoft Security Essentials instal, along with Windows Defender update, Error 0xC8000247.

JNaz

Thursday, April 26, 2012 3:55 AM
  • My windows update won't work and when I try to do it manually I get the same error as you. However when I want to go the link you've provided all I get is page not found :( Any ideas?
    Saturday, April 28, 2012 12:42 PM
  • I am also running into issues, I recently got a SMART warning of imminent failure on my 320GB WD Scorpio in a TM2 by HP.  I upgraded to a 500GB advance format Hitachi and am trying to recover using the HP Recovery disks I orderd for the computer.

Initially i had trouble getting the the Recovery disks to work, but eventually got windows 7 to load.  After which it proceeded to crash.  I ran the recovery utility  (installed as part of the factory image recoverey) from a separate partition on the Hard Drive to create a Minimal windows install.  This appeared to be stable, except the problem was that the windows update didn't work.  What I eventually found was a link to an HP Driver for High Density Drives at http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c02219204&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN This is basically an Intel Rapid Storage Technocolgy Driver as I understand it.

This immediately fixed the windows update issue, and appeared to be just what I needed. 

Thanks for that info. I downloaded that patch and it immediately fixed my problem. However, I had deleted all the update records before applying that patch in Windows\SoftwareDistribution before applying that patch and all worked perfectly again.
    Wednesday, May 09, 2012 8:47 AM

This immediately fixed the windows update issue, and appeared to be just what I needed. 

Thanks for that info. I downloaded that patch and it immediately fixed my problem. However, I had deleted all the update records before applying that patch in Windows\SoftwareDistribution before applying that patch and all worked perfectly again.
    I have the same problem with Toshiba 750 Gb (I changed HD Seagate 500 Gb and recovered OP by Acronis), but new RAID drivers did not solve Windows update and W. Live MAil problems. Vista 32, Acer Aspire 6930. Can you help me? Thanks!
    Monday, October 08, 2012 11:56 PM
  • Thank you Jay-Man!  We have a Dell E6500 image that we restore as needed.  Image was last updated in Sept. 2011.  Everything was current at that time.  Restored onto the same laptop but with a new 1TB Momentus drive.  Could not run Windows Update and Defender would not update.  All of the services were running normally (it was a generic image!!!  Nothing but MS stuff and our proprietary software was installed!!).   Still, ran thru all the service commands, renamed the SoftwareDistribution directories, etc, etc.   Even toggled Windows Updates off and on.  Still nothing.   Continued reading down and came across your link for that IRRT driver update.  Everything is working perfectly and I'm now installing 69 updates! 

THANK YOU   THANK YOU   THANK YOU!!

Now, of course, I  need to find a smaller drive like the one the image was created off of originally and restore to it and test things.  I get the feeling it's only going to be for these newer (larger) drives.  Because I know we have used this image at least 5 times this year with no problems.  Would be interesting to check, just for giggles.

Did I say Thank You?

THANK YOU   THANK YOU   THANK YOU!!

Friday, November 30, 2012 2:12 AM
  • Anyone having this problem who recently swapped out their hard drive follow this lead that fixed it for me.

http://www.beezmo.com/geezblog/?p=74#comment-60

Friday, February 08, 2013 6:49 AM
  • excellent answer.

this resolves the issue that was driving me mad.

Thank you

Sunday, March 17, 2013 6:29 AM
  • Thank you.. I solved by Updating Intel drivers too.. does anyone know why storage drivers interfere with windows update?
    Monday, October 21, 2013 1:15 PM
  • Thanks everyone for the help! I also resolved my problem with the latest INTEL RST Driver, after countless hours and many attempts to fix the problems. Same starting point ... upgraded my Windows 7 disk Image from 320 GB to 1TB drive on my HP machine with an Intel RAID controller.

Thanks again .. this is a great forum!

-Fino :-)

Thursday, October 24, 2013 1:44 AM
  • Updating the Intel RST driver worked for me also.

Similar situation to what others have reported here. Had recently upgraded from a 320MB to a 1TB C: drive, and a few weeks later realized that Windows Search and Windows Update were no longer working and the services could not be started. Errors posted in the Application log when I tried. Registry okay. Deinstalling and reinstalling Windows Search did not fix it.

Have a Dell computer, but got the Intel driver from an HP site (probably should have searched it out on Intel's site, but the HP download worked fine).

Tuesday, December 10, 2013 5:10 PM
  • Error Code 0xc8000247 can be fixed so dont be frustrated!

In general the Intel Rapid Storage Technology Driver needs to be updated.  Please read near bottom of this thread and click the link which goes to the hp site.

An update to the latest Intel Rapid Storage Technology Driver VERSION: 9.5.6. is found on that page. Currently the file is "SP47845" (see hyperlink).

I hope this helps everyone!!

Sunday, February 02, 2014 11:37 AM
  •  I was having same issue with update not working.. problem was fixed after updating the intel rapid storage driver i'm glad I found this page to help me fix this problem.
    Saturday, July 26, 2014 12:45 AM