none
Cannot print a PDF file on Windows 7

Question

• I have a new work laptop which I downloaded Adobe Acrobat from the Adobe site onto yesterday.  I connected successfully to the Network printer today and am able to print Word docs with no problem.  However, when I try to print a PDF I click on the print ICON to the top left of the screen, a print window comes up and then I press OK and nothing happens.

I have checked the print queue and nothing is being sent.  I have restarted my laptop and the problem is still there.  I have checked that all the settings on the pop up print window are the same as a colleague (who is using Vista) and I have also tried printing a different PDF file but to no avail.

Just to reiterate, when I try to print nothing happens - no error messages, nothing, nada, zilch.

Any ideas? (As you can see from my prose, I'm not exactly a power user so I would be most grateful if any suggetsions take into account my extreme computing deficiencies !

Many thanks

John

Tuesday, April 20, 2010 2:35 PM

Answers

• Hi,

If this issue only occurred on PDF file, I would like to suggest you uninstall and reinstall Adobe Reader to test the issue.

If it does not work, I also would like to suggest you test the issue in Clean Boot.

What’s the result in Clean Boot?

Regards,

Arthur Li - MSFT
    • Marked as answer by JDubya13 Wednesday, April 21, 2010 10:30 AM
    Wednesday, April 21, 2010 8:30 AM

All replies

• In Control Panel go to Printers and Right click on the Network printer and Set it as default and try to print now, let us know how it goes..

-Mukesh

Tuesday, April 20, 2010 6:48 PM
  • Hi,

If this issue only occurred on PDF file, I would like to suggest you uninstall and reinstall Adobe Reader to test the issue.

If it does not work, I also would like to suggest you test the issue in Clean Boot.

What’s the result in Clean Boot?

Regards,

Arthur Li - MSFT
    • Marked as answer by JDubya13 Wednesday, April 21, 2010 10:30 AM
    Wednesday, April 21, 2010 8:30 AM
  •  

John,

Hope you are trying to take the PDF file print from Internet. Let me know did you install Adobe Acrobat 9 Standard for windows 7? If so, it is suggested to reinstall the applications.

Try open IE with no-add mode.

1. Click "Start", type in "INETCPL.CPL" and press "Enter". 
    2. Click the "Advanced" tab.
    3. Click to clear the "Enable third-party browser extensions (requires restart)" check box.
    4. Click "Apply".
    5. Click "Ok".
    6. Start "Internet Explorer", and then try to reproduce the issue.

After the test, you can re-enable the check box.

Sachin Shetty| MCP|MCTS|MCITP| Please remember to mark the replies as answers and Vote as helpful if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.Thank you in advance.
    • Proposed as answer by Kameshjk Saturday, May 08, 2010 2:14 PM
    Wednesday, April 21, 2010 9:12 AM
  • Hi Mukesh

The printer is already set as Default Printer, so must be something else. Many thanks for trying.  Cheers John

Wednesday, April 21, 2010 10:12 AM
  • Hi Arthur

Your suggestion to Uninstall then Reinstall worked.

You're a star!

Cheers

John

Wednesday, April 21, 2010 10:32 AM
  • Thank you for your suggestion Sachin. The problem was fixed when I uninstalled/reinstalled as per Arthur's prior suggestion.
    Wednesday, April 21, 2010 10:34 AM
  • Oh, as recently i faced the same problem and no matter which printer i did it was going to the default printer, so after setting the Right printer to default i was able to print the documents, would suggest you try a reinstall the application as others have suggested..

-Mukesh

Wednesday, April 21, 2010 10:47 AM