none
How to suppress Unknown Publisher question without turning off UAC?

Question

• I'm trying to run an .exe on a server on the same network that I have mapped as a shortcut on my Windows 7 Pro desktop. I don't want to turn off UAC. I have already checked the Run as administrator in the Advanced Property of the shortcut. After I click the shortcut, I will get the UAC question "Do you want to allow the following program an unknown publisher to make changes to this computer?

Program name: xxx.exe
    Publisher: Unkown
    File origin: Network drive

I need to click the Yes button in order to run the exe.

How can I suppress this question without turning off UAC?
    Friday, September 23, 2011 5:59 PM

Answers

• I don't think you can, it's part of the way UAC us supposed to operate to give you notification that this is an untrusted publisher.  If you could just run executables without any oversight of UAC, then what's the point of UAC?

If you have a legit software package, then why not look up how to write and publish your application so that it is a known publisher?

:P Advice offered, If you need more help it is advised to seek the council and advice of paid professionals. The answer is always 42, or reboot.

Friday, September 23, 2011 6:55 PM

All replies

• I don't think you can, it's part of the way UAC us supposed to operate to give you notification that this is an untrusted publisher.  If you could just run executables without any oversight of UAC, then what's the point of UAC?

If you have a legit software package, then why not look up how to write and publish your application so that it is a known publisher?

:P Advice offered, If you need more help it is advised to seek the council and advice of paid professionals. The answer is always 42, or reboot.

Friday, September 23, 2011 6:55 PM
  • I don't develop the app.  How can you make a third-party application to become known publisher?  I wonder why UAC cannot be controlled to skip checking for certain applications.   IE allows you to add trusted sites why UAC does not have a fucctionality to add trusted app.

• Edited by PCSQL66 Friday, September 23, 2011 9:50 PM edit
    Friday, September 23, 2011 9:48 PM
  • Let's go further with that logic: If you can just click"Yes" when UAC prompts you, then what's the point of UAC?

Clearly we're looking for something more in the middle here, compared to these claims that undesirable behavior is desirable, and no problem actually can conceivably exist that the user is actually experiencing with the operating system - do not make the user repeatedly answer a question they are only ever going to answer one way. Or minimize the amount of times they repeat the same answer for something very unlikely to change. 

If their opinion about the safety of a given program changes, via something they read, or by prior experience running the program, then they will think twice about running it next time!  If the program is malicious in ways unbeknownst to the user, some other program is going to have to detect that. Regardless, the user has shown their approval of the program by clicking it, and registered their general acceptance of the UAC warning by approving of it once.

It seems as though we're thinking robotically about robotic software run by robots. 

• Edited by batCattle Monday, June 23, 2014 3:36 PM incomplete
    Monday, June 23, 2014 3:34 PM
  • UAC and signed applications are both designed to prevent malicious software from attacking a system

Corsair Carbide 300R with window
    Corsair TX850V2 70A@12V
    Asus M5A99FX PRO R2.0 CFX/SLI
    AMD Phenom II 965 C3 Black Edition @ 4.0 GHz
    G.SKILL RipjawsX DDR3-2133 8 GB
    EVGA GTX 6600 Ti FTW Signature 2(Gk104 Kepler)
    Asus PA238QR IPS LED HDMI DP 1080p
    ST2000DM001 & Windows 8.1 Enterprise x64
    Microsoft Wireless Desktop 2000
    Wacom Bamboo CHT470M
    Place your rig specifics into your signature like I have, makes it 100x easier to understand!

Hardcore Games Legendary is the Only Way to Play!

Monday, June 23, 2014 4:39 PM