none
Transfer from Vista to Windows 7

Question

• I have a new computer that was loaded with Vista and was given the update to Windows 7 free.  I did a complete system backup before installing Windows 7, and have had nothing but problems.  I now find that no files, no email or contacts have transferred.  Dell is now telling me I have to pay to obtain this information.  What can I do?
    • Moved by Carey FrischMVP, Moderator Wednesday, November 11, 2009 2:33 AM Moved to relevant category (From:Windows Vista Announcements)
    Tuesday, November 10, 2009 4:29 PM

Answers

• 1. Please let me know if you use the "Upgrade" way to get Windows 7 or did a "Custom Install" (which is a clean install).

If it is a Custom Install, check if we can find a folder named windows.old on system drive. The previous windows, users and program files folders are saved in this folder, so you can try to find some missing files here.

2. As you did a system backup, can you find the backup file?

In order to transfer files from Windows Vista to Windows 7, we will need a newer version of Windows Easy Transfer but not the one build in Windows Vista. Here is it:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=09d80814-2a73-4245-a63b-8e780d0430cb

So if the backup files still exists, the worst thing we can do is to reinstall Windows Vista to get files back.

Wednesday, November 11, 2009 6:51 AM

All replies

• 1. Please let me know if you use the "Upgrade" way to get Windows 7 or did a "Custom Install" (which is a clean install).

If it is a Custom Install, check if we can find a folder named windows.old on system drive. The previous windows, users and program files folders are saved in this folder, so you can try to find some missing files here.

2. As you did a system backup, can you find the backup file?

In order to transfer files from Windows Vista to Windows 7, we will need a newer version of Windows Easy Transfer but not the one build in Windows Vista. Here is it:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=09d80814-2a73-4245-a63b-8e780d0430cb

So if the backup files still exists, the worst thing we can do is to reinstall Windows Vista to get files back.

Wednesday, November 11, 2009 6:51 AM
  • It was an upgrade.  Dell told me my computer was configured for Windows 7, which it was supposed to be, so they started stripping a number of things off in order for Windows 7 to work.  We did get it loaded and I tried working with it, and really didn't like it so we reloaded Vista.
    Friday, November 13, 2009 5:39 PM