none
Windows 8.1 will not install using Windows Store if you have moved your User folders

Question

• A lot of people have moved their Windows "Users" folders to another hard disk as the size of the C drive is smaller (typically using an SSD). I used the following process to move my user folders (using audit mode) -

4275-user-profiles-relocate-another-partition-disk at eightforums.com website under tutorials.

Now when I went to install Windows 8.1 it comes back with an error that the application wasn't installed with an Error code of 0xc1900102.

I can install normal Windows 8 programs with no issues, so I am not sure why this is happening.

I saw a post from someone installing a preview version that also had the same issue but I couldn't find a solution/fix or workaround. Just wondering if anyone else has had this problem and are looking for a solution or have any ideas on how to solve this.

I was thinking about re-creating the moved folder back on C drive just to see if it tricks it into work...

Thursday, October 17, 2013 5:26 PM

Answers

All replies

• upgrading to a new Windows or installing a Service pack requires that the user folder is on the system drive.

Use the Libraries instead:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/libraries-windows-explorer

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code"

Thursday, October 17, 2013 6:24 PM
  • Same here. Upgrade to v8.1 does not work due to moved "Users" or "Program Files". In my case, I moved only the "Users" folder. Any ideas how to quickly resolve the issue?
    Thursday, October 17, 2013 7:46 PM
  • Right answer to the wrong question. Makes sense if you have the space, doesn't make sense in the above scenario...
    Thursday, October 17, 2013 7:50 PM
  • Hello,

Upgrade is not supported if the \users folder has been moved

Thanks, Darrell Gorter [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Thursday, October 17, 2013 8:12 PM
  • no, technically 8.1 is a new Windows and upgrading always requires user folder on system drive. Accept this or flatten your PC and reinstall with a clean ISO and move the folder again with an unattended.xml.

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code"

Thursday, October 17, 2013 8:35 PM
  • Well, that's a poor quality response.  And a poor version of upgrading.  Seems like all this talk of a "free upgrade" was false.
    Thursday, October 17, 2013 9:05 PM
  • Moved folders

Error message - Windows 8.1 installation error 0x80070004

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows8_1-windows_install/windows-81-installation-error-0x80070004/970909c3-e03e-4cd6-ac09-97d3dea3cc62

Don't Retire TechNet

Thursday, October 17, 2013 11:24 PM