none
Windows defender not showing on task bar

Question

• In XP I am used to seeing the windows defender icon next to the clock. However in Win7 I do not see this. Is this normal and if so how do I tell if it is running?

Monday, March 16, 2009 10:24 PM

Answers

• The Action Center icon (looks like a flag) is the notification replacement for Windows Defender along with any other security applications.

Nonetheless, if you want to see if Windows Defender is running, type “defender” at the Start Menu search dialog box.  Do be aware that some of the notifications that you are used to seeing the XP version is absent in the Windows 7 version.  As of now, that is by design.

• Marked as answer by Aframe Tuesday, March 17, 2009 1:50 PM
    Tuesday, March 17, 2009 1:46 AM

All replies

• In previous versions you could change this behavior by a switch in the registry - but I haven't been able to locate it in it's usual startup haunts.  Maybe try a post over in the Security forum?
    - John
    Tuesday, March 17, 2009 12:46 AM
  • The Action Center icon (looks like a flag) is the notification replacement for Windows Defender along with any other security applications.

Nonetheless, if you want to see if Windows Defender is running, type “defender” at the Start Menu search dialog box.  Do be aware that some of the notifications that you are used to seeing the XP version is absent in the Windows 7 version.  As of now, that is by design.

• Marked as answer by Aframe Tuesday, March 17, 2009 1:50 PM
    Tuesday, March 17, 2009 1:46 AM