none
USB001 not present in 'Add Printer' port list?

Question

• Can anyone help.

Just upgraded from XP to Win 7 Home Premium (32 bit). 
    When I try to install my Epson DX4400 multi function printer on USB, Windows plays a sound but does not attempt to load any drivers.  When I try to add the printer manually, there are no USB ports available in the available ports list.
    I have other USB devices (mouse/keyboard) working fine but cannot install the printer.
    I have downloaded the latest driver from Epson but the install routine always hangs when it tries to auto detect the usb printer (there is a note about this on the Epson website but it only suggests cancelling the installation and adding the printer manually so I'm back to square one!).
    Help!
    Tuesday, February 23, 2010 11:15 PM

Answers

• Hi LTP1963,
    The recommended method from Epson is to install the software first, then connect the DX4400 usb cable when prompted to do so.

Are you using that method?

Before attempting the installation, uninstall any instances of the device from Hardware and Printers and any software from Uninstall Programs. Reboot. Prepare the the printer, no connection, run the installation package that you downloaded( v.6.55 Sept 2009), then connect the device.

Here is a manual connection reference for Windows 7 from Epson: http://www.epson.co.uk/Printers-and-All-In-Ones/Inkjet/Epson-Stylus-DX4400/Drivers-Support?target=article&extn=.html&articleId=3820 It addresses Windows 7 and the spooler issue.
    Wednesday, February 24, 2010 12:20 PM
  • Thanks to all who contributed - tried all of the above and even tried to do a system repair using the Windows 7 install disc but without success.
    Did get a result tho!

The problem seemed to be based in the fact that although the printer drivers would load, Windows 7 would not recognise the Epson as a printer and therefore would not allocate USB001 as the default port.  I checked 'Printers & Devices' and noticed a 'USB 1.1' device in the devices list.  I took this to be the Epson as I could account for all the other USB devices.

In the end, I went into Device Manager and removed ALL the USB devices from the list - unplugged all USB devices from the pc - put the original Epson install disc in the dvd drive and rebooted.  When Windows had restarted, I plugged the Epson into the USB port and Windows 7 immediately recognised it then loaded drivers directly from the install disc.  This means the Vista driver has been loaded but it seems to work fine.

After that I plugged in any other USB devices and (so far) all seem to be working.

Thanks again to those took time to respond.

Thnks
    Monday, March 01, 2010 9:39 PM

All replies

• Prior to installing this printer, is there a similar printer icon or device being install under devices and printers? If there is remove it, next install the printer drivers again, if the driver is not meant for win 7, run it as compatible mode and next run as adminstrator
    Tuesday, February 23, 2010 11:43 PM
    Answerer
  • Hi Daniel

Thanks for the response.

No other devices listed other than usb wireless for mouse & keyboard.  These devices work fine regardless of which USB slot I use (I have 8 slots on the PC).

The driver I am using was downloaded from the Epson website and is specifically for Windows 7 Home Premium (32 bit).  It's a self extracting file - will try running in Administrator mode.

LTP
    Tuesday, February 23, 2010 11:51 PM
  • Nope

The Epson driver just crashes out and reverts to expecting a manual setup.

Have now loaded the original driver (XP) which was on the driver disc which came with the printer.  Loads ok but only after creating a new 'Local' port which actually isnt attached to anything so the driver cant make contact with the printer.

When I try to add a new port type, the driver wants me to supply the location of the relevant .INF file.

It seems that although USB seems to be running ok - Windows 7 will not allow me to create a printer port?
    Wednesday, February 24, 2010 12:12 AM
  • Try installing the printer in safe mode w/networking, here's the step on how to access safe mode
    Wednesday, February 24, 2010 12:13 AM
    Answerer
  • Thanks Daniel but no luck - can't install in safe mode as print spooler wont start.

Have checked BIOS and USB is def on. Now trying to find a way of installing a new port type.

Wednesday, February 24, 2010 12:48 AM
  • Thanks Daniel but no luck - can't install in safe mode as print spooler wont start.

Have checked BIOS and USB is def on. Now trying to find a way of installing a new port type.

Try the following

Right click on My Computer

Select Manage

Double click on Services and Application

Double click on Services

Scroll down to Print Spooler and double click on it

Click on Dependencies tab

Check what dependencies the print spooler has, if any

you may need to click on "+" on those dependencies to more dependencies

Go back to the Services list

On each of the spooler dependencies, double click on it

Make sure it is set to Automatic in the Startup Type drop down menu

Now click on Start to start the service

Click OK

Now try and print

if you still get spooler error messages, try this

Open a Command Prompt window, found in your Start (Orb) at bottom left, and it is in the list that pops up

key the command;
           sc config spooler depend= RPCSS
        (note the space after the = but not before)

restart the print spooler 

Wednesday, February 24, 2010 1:32 AM
    Answerer
  • Hi LTP1963,
    The recommended method from Epson is to install the software first, then connect the DX4400 usb cable when prompted to do so.

Are you using that method?

Before attempting the installation, uninstall any instances of the device from Hardware and Printers and any software from Uninstall Programs. Reboot. Prepare the the printer, no connection, run the installation package that you downloaded( v.6.55 Sept 2009), then connect the device.

Here is a manual connection reference for Windows 7 from Epson: http://www.epson.co.uk/Printers-and-All-In-Ones/Inkjet/Epson-Stylus-DX4400/Drivers-Support?target=article&extn=.html&articleId=3820 It addresses Windows 7 and the spooler issue.
    Wednesday, February 24, 2010 12:20 PM
  • Hi Guys

Sorry I dropped off  - busy couple of days.

I will try all of your suggestions and post results when I get the time.

Thnx
    Wednesday, February 24, 2010 11:23 PM
  • Thanks to all who contributed - tried all of the above and even tried to do a system repair using the Windows 7 install disc but without success.
    Did get a result tho!

The problem seemed to be based in the fact that although the printer drivers would load, Windows 7 would not recognise the Epson as a printer and therefore would not allocate USB001 as the default port.  I checked 'Printers & Devices' and noticed a 'USB 1.1' device in the devices list.  I took this to be the Epson as I could account for all the other USB devices.

In the end, I went into Device Manager and removed ALL the USB devices from the list - unplugged all USB devices from the pc - put the original Epson install disc in the dvd drive and rebooted.  When Windows had restarted, I plugged the Epson into the USB port and Windows 7 immediately recognised it then loaded drivers directly from the install disc.  This means the Vista driver has been loaded but it seems to work fine.

After that I plugged in any other USB devices and (so far) all seem to be working.

Thanks again to those took time to respond.

Thnks
    Monday, March 01, 2010 9:39 PM