none
Delete Toshiba Music Place Places

Question

• Hello,

I have bought a new laptop from toshiba with windows 7 bundled with lots of bloatware, i am in the process of deleting it all but i cant get rid of this set of very annoying "places" on the desktop.

I have removed the program using the add/remove programs.

the desktop icons remain.

when i double click on one it says application not found.

right button click gives option of open or create shortcut. no delete.

the files do NOT appear in:

• C:\Users\Public\Desktop
    • C:\Users\Dave\Desktop

I cannot find the icons in the registry under:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Desktop\NameSpace

when i run a search in regedit for "Music Place"

it finds it under:

HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-4172585473-663151546-4161246990-1001\Software\Classes\CLSID\{00000001-0E3A-4123-8B32-4B68A91E104A}

and if i change the string it updates the desktop icon but if i delete it, the desktop icon remains.

I have tried refreshing the desktop and restarting.

Also restarting in safe mode - still  unable to delete the files.

Any help appreciated.

Many thanks.

Dave.

Tuesday, September 04, 2012 3:40 PM

Answers

• This is a lot simpler than most are suggesting.

I got on to Toshiba because I had the same problem on a window 8 laptop. I was looking all over the registry for 'music place' and even after \i followed the registry edit advise the icon still came back. 

There reply was so simple I laughed. 

Simply uninstall the 'Toshiba places icon utility' and all your troubles are over.

No need to edit the registry, just go into the control panel - programs and find it listed there, right click and uninstall.

So simple...

All the annoyance because they didn't call it 'music place'

Hope this helps others with the same issue

• Proposed as answer by captain_steve Tuesday, December 11, 2012 10:57 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by BigDaveGeek Wednesday, April 17, 2013 9:33 PM
    • Marked as answer by BigDaveGeek Thursday, October 10, 2013 8:48 PM
    Tuesday, December 11, 2012 10:57 AM
  • Ok, so I have sorted this myself.

• Start off by uninstalling the program (start -> control panel -> uninstall a program -> choose places on the list and click uninstall)
        • while the "uninstall" part of control panel is open, uninstall "Toshiba places icon utility" - credit to captain_steve
        • click start, and type "regedit" push enter
        • click "yes to allow the program to make changes
        • click "edit" and then click  "Find..."
        • then type in the text that appears on the icons on your desktop eg Music Place
        • this will go away and find everywhere in the registry where the text "Music Place" occurs there should only be one place and its well hidden under random letters and numbers, I had:
        • HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-4172585473-663151546-4161246990-1001\Software\Classes\CLSID\{00000001-0E3A-4123-8B32-4B68A91E104A}
        • The last part is the important bit, yours might be different.
        • right button click on the bit that starts with {000..... 
        • choose Delete
        • Click "yes" to permanently delete the key and all its sub keys.
        • close everything and restart the PC (Start -> Shutdown -> turn the PC back on).
        • click and drag the icons to the recycle bin, it will say if you want to return these icons then go to the control panel or something like that, just click yes to delete - if it wont let you again, then do a real shut-down so the power is off and try again from step 12.

Hope this helps future users.

Also shame on Toshiba! Another company that has lost my respect.

• Marked as answer by BigDaveGeek Thursday, September 06, 2012 3:02 PM
    • Edited by BigDaveGeek Thursday, October 10, 2013 8:52 PM uninstall "Toshiba places icon utility" - credit to captain_steve
    Thursday, September 06, 2012 3:02 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I would like suggest you try to  left-click the  icon, then drag it to the Recycle Bin.

Hope this helps.

Spencer

TechNet Community Support

Thursday, September 06, 2012 9:27 AM
  • Ok, so I have sorted this myself.

• Start off by uninstalling the program (start -> control panel -> uninstall a program -> choose places on the list and click uninstall)
        • while the "uninstall" part of control panel is open, uninstall "Toshiba places icon utility" - credit to captain_steve
        • click start, and type "regedit" push enter
        • click "yes to allow the program to make changes
        • click "edit" and then click  "Find..."
        • then type in the text that appears on the icons on your desktop eg Music Place
        • this will go away and find everywhere in the registry where the text "Music Place" occurs there should only be one place and its well hidden under random letters and numbers, I had:
        • HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-4172585473-663151546-4161246990-1001\Software\Classes\CLSID\{00000001-0E3A-4123-8B32-4B68A91E104A}
        • The last part is the important bit, yours might be different.
        • right button click on the bit that starts with {000..... 
        • choose Delete
        • Click "yes" to permanently delete the key and all its sub keys.
        • close everything and restart the PC (Start -> Shutdown -> turn the PC back on).
        • click and drag the icons to the recycle bin, it will say if you want to return these icons then go to the control panel or something like that, just click yes to delete - if it wont let you again, then do a real shut-down so the power is off and try again from step 12.

Hope this helps future users.

Also shame on Toshiba! Another company that has lost my respect.

• Marked as answer by BigDaveGeek Thursday, September 06, 2012 3:02 PM
    • Edited by BigDaveGeek Thursday, October 10, 2013 8:52 PM uninstall "Toshiba places icon utility" - credit to captain_steve
    Thursday, September 06, 2012 3:02 PM
  •  Hey thanks for writing up this list, its the first I've found with any proper solutions to this issue anywhere!  

I've been having a bit of a problem with part of it, I wonder if you can help me out - you see after I search 'Music Place' into regedit, no results appear.

In fairness, the first time I attempted this solution it did, however I think when I attempted to delete the program I only deleted the name 'Music Place' rather than the whole thing.... the annoying icon on my desktop is now indeed nameless, but unfortunately still there.

So now I have no way of finding the program.... do you have another way? Or perhaps do you remember roughly what folder it was in, or do you have some of the other digits in the name that I could put into the search bar?

Any help would be hugely appreciated.

• Edited by tommymorris Tuesday, September 18, 2012 9:23 AM
    Tuesday, September 18, 2012 9:23 AM
  • did you follow all the steps and drag drop the name less icons to the recycle bin and accept the message it gives? then restart your computer...
    Thursday, November 01, 2012 7:34 PM
  • I can confirm that all of the above does NOT delete the "Music Place" icon from the desktop, its dam annoying to be fair.

Its only weblink as well that redirects to some music store online

Monday, November 12, 2012 12:42 PM

I got on to Toshiba because I had the same problem on a window 8 laptop. I was looking all over the registry for 'music place' and even after \i followed the registry edit advise the icon still came back. 

Simply uninstall the 'Toshiba places icon utility' and all your troubles are over.

No need to edit the registry, just go into the control panel - programs and find it listed there, right click and uninstall.

So simple...

• Proposed as answer by captain_steve Tuesday, December 11, 2012 10:57 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by BigDaveGeek Wednesday, April 17, 2013 9:33 PM
    • Marked as answer by BigDaveGeek Thursday, October 10, 2013 8:48 PM
    Tuesday, December 11, 2012 10:57 AM

So simple...

So easy!!! Thanx Steve.....................:o)
    Monday, December 31, 2012 10:37 AM
  • Hi there,

I have tthe same problem. I have followed those steps and unistalled the "Toshiba places icon utility".

Problem is, the music place icon still remains on the desktop.

NEED HELP

thanks

Monday, January 14, 2013 4:52 PM
  • Hi,

open TOSHIBA PLACES-SYMBOL-UTILITY and choose there, wich icon you want to remain or disapear.

Gruß   heng26

Thursday, March 21, 2013 4:34 PM
  • Thank you so much for that answer, Captain Steve.  I was being driven demented by Toshiba and its pesky icons, coupled with Windows 8, and am delighted to have finally been able to delete the Music Places icon.  Toshiba hasn't endeared itself to me by its behaviour over this!
    Tuesday, March 26, 2013 12:57 PM
  • i guess that only worked AFTER editing the registry? - my step 1 is, uninstall...
    Wednesday, April 17, 2013 9:33 PM
  • I can confirm that all of the above does NOT delete the "Music Place" icon from the desktop, its dam annoying to be fair.

Its only weblink as well that redirects to some music store online

did you find a solution?

this worked for me... dont forget step 1 - uninstall.

Wednesday, April 17, 2013 9:35 PM
  • Hi there,

I have tthe same problem. I have followed those steps and unistalled the "Toshiba places icon utility".

Problem is, the music place icon still remains on the desktop.

NEED HELP

thanks

i don't know what to say... 

try going start -> run -> type "msconfig" and then look for any services that talk about toshiba places on startup and disable them restart and see what happens?

Wednesday, April 17, 2013 9:37 PM
  • brilliant

Wednesday, June 26, 2013 12:03 PM
  • Thanks so much for putting this up I spent days trying to sort it until I came across your post,fair play to you for sharing this and thanks a million.Worked perfect on the first go.
    Saturday, January 04, 2014 6:47 PM