none
Microsoft virtual Wifi Miniport Adapter

Question

• I have just bought a new HP Compaq laptop.  I am using a wireless router to connect to the internet. My prolem is that the internet connection keeps dropping and when I click on 'Diagnose connection problems' I am told that it has been detected that the 'Microsoft virtual wifi miniport adapter is experiencing driver or hardware- related problems.  Can you explain what this means and how I can correct it please?
    Tuesday, December 01, 2009 9:32 PM

Answers

• Hi Martin, 

Your issue can be caused by the driver is not compatible or third party conflicts. At this point, it's better to download the latest wireless adapter driver from HP, then install this new version. In addition, you can test your computer in Clean Boot mode. This method will help us determine if this issue is caused by a loading program or service. Please perform the following steps:

1. Click the Start Button and type "msconfig" (without quotation marks) in the Search Box and press Enter.
    2. Select the Services tab in the open window. Check the “Hide all Microsoft Services” option and click Disable All.
    3. Switch to the Startup tab and click Disable All.
    4. Click OK to save the settings and select Restart when prompted.
    5. Check whether or not the issue still occurs.

Note: Temporarily disabling the Startup Group only prevents the startup programs from loading at startup. This shouldn't adversely affect the system or other programs. We can still manually run these programs later.

How to return from a Clean Boot state
    ============================
    1. Click the Start Button and type "msconfig" (without quotation marks) in the Search Box and press Enter.
    2. On the "General" tab, click "Normal Startup - load all device drivers and services".
    3. Click "OK". Click "Restart" when you are prompted to restart the computer. 

John
    Thursday, December 03, 2009 10:19 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Can you upload the Windows Network Diagnostics report?

Open Device Manager, under Network Adapters right click on the Microsoft Vitural WiFi Miniport Adapter, and choose Disable. Aftere that please test if  the issue persists.

I hope this can help you.

Sincerely.

John
    Wednesday, December 02, 2009 7:19 AM
  • Hello John

Thanks for your reply - much appreciated.

I got a diagnostics report as advised which said 'this device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers for this device (code 31)'.  I disabled the adapter anyway but I am still experiencing 'dropping off' of the internet connection with the diagnostics report now saying:

1. The wireless network connection 2 adaptor is disabled - detected
    2. Problem with wireless adaptor or access point - fixed

Can you offer any further help with this problem please?

Martin 
    Wednesday, December 02, 2009 8:07 PM
  • Hi Martin, 

Your issue can be caused by the driver is not compatible or third party conflicts. At this point, it's better to download the latest wireless adapter driver from HP, then install this new version. In addition, you can test your computer in Clean Boot mode. This method will help us determine if this issue is caused by a loading program or service. Please perform the following steps:

2. Select the Services tab in the open window. Check the “Hide all Microsoft Services” option and click Disable All.
    3. Switch to the Startup tab and click Disable All.
    4. Click OK to save the settings and select Restart when prompted.
    5. Check whether or not the issue still occurs.

Note: Temporarily disabling the Startup Group only prevents the startup programs from loading at startup. This shouldn't adversely affect the system or other programs. We can still manually run these programs later.

How to return from a Clean Boot state
    ============================
    2. On the "General" tab, click "Normal Startup - load all device drivers and services".
    3. Click "OK". Click "Restart" when you are prompted to restart the computer. 

John
    Thursday, December 03, 2009 10:19 AM
  • Hi John

Thanks again.  I put my computer in Clean Boot mode as you advised but the problem still persisits.  Unfortunately I can't return from the Clean Boot mode as when I typw "misconfig" in the search box and press enter a page appears saying "no items match your search".  Don't know what I'm doing wrong as this obviously didn't happen when I put my PC in Clean Boot mode.

As for loading the latest wireless adapter driver, when I go to the HP site I have a choice of drivers to instll as follows:
    1  Intel Pro/wireless drivers for Windows 7
    2  Intel WiFi link 10000 drivers
    3  Broadcom wireless LAN driver for W7
    4  Atheros wireless LAN driver for W7
    5  HP Wireless Assistant

Which one do I download?

Could my wireless router be faulty?  It's a new one and was purchased with my laptop.

I'm grateful for your help.

Martin
    Friday, December 04, 2009 8:36 PM
  • First, you type the wrong letter, you must input "msconfig" in the search box and press enter. Then you should be able to return from the Clean Boot mode.

As the driver, you can check which one is used for your wireless adapter in the Device Manager. Of course, it's better to upload the system information to the to the public folder in the SkyDrive. Then, i can help you check which one is for your.

At the same time, you can try to download the first one, then remove the old driver, and reinstall the first one as a test.

Sincerely!

John
    Monday, December 07, 2009 3:15 AM
  • Hi John

I'm also experiencing the same problem, when I troubleshoot the problem, it says "Problem with wireless adaptor or access point".

Can you tell me what this means?

Oh, and also, I was reading both you and Martin's comments earlier and I wanted to know more about your clean boot mode. Will it erase my entire hardrive and information if I do it?

Thank you very much.

George
    Tuesday, December 08, 2009 6:20 AM
  • Hi George,

The Clean boot mode can help you determine if this issue is caused by a loading program or service. It won't erase any files in you computer.

In addition, you can try to create a new wireless connection to test this issue. 

If the issue persists, please upload your troubleshoot report to to the public folder in the SkyDrive for anylizing.

John
    • Edited by John Cena Wednesday, December 09, 2009 2:14 AM
    Tuesday, December 08, 2009 7:28 AM
  • Hi John

Just wanted to let you know that I downloaded the latest driver for my wireless adapter(Atheros) and everyhting seems to be fine now.

Still have the problem with the MVWMA and this is still disabled.  As it doesn't seem to affect anything, it will stay disabled for the time being.

Thanks for your help.

Martin
    Tuesday, December 08, 2009 8:59 PM
  • Hi martin,

I am glad to hear your issue is fixed after installing the latest wireless adapter driver. As the virtual Wifi Miniport Adapter, you can leave it alone.

Sincerely!

John
    Wednesday, December 09, 2009 2:21 AM
  • Hi John

Can you tell me what the function or the job of the Microsoft virtual Wifi Miniport Adapter?

I uninstalled the Microsoft virtual Wifi Miniport Adapter and everything was still going well, then I try to install it back again, and when I tried to do that, there was a disk crash, I'm not sure what that means and I hope you can help me with this.

I had the newest version of the Microsoft virtual Wifi Miniport Adapter, so by updating it didn't help.

thank you very much

George
    Wednesday, December 09, 2009 7:56 AM
  • Hi George,

You can get more idea from the Microsoft MSDN site:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd815243(VS.85).aspx
    Meanwhile, there is an intelligible article for this feature.

Windows 7 adds native Virtual WiFi technology from Microsoft Research
    http://www.istartedsomething.com/20090516/windows-7-native-virtual-wifi-technology-microsoft-research/
    In short, this is a new feature for Virtual WiFi Hotspot, but it is still impracticable for most of us, you can safely disable this adaptor in Device Manager and it will not affect your current wireless/cabled network connection.

I hope this can help you.
    Wednesday, December 09, 2009 10:32 AM
  • I have the same problem, please tell which site you went to

Sunday, January 17, 2010 9:29 PM
  • Hi Kanelle,

You can open a new thread, and post more detail information of your machine. At that, we can help you out.

John
    Monday, January 18, 2010 2:16 AM
  • Hey i just did this and it's still doin the same thing.....

is still troubleshooting...

plz help...

Thursday, March 25, 2010 9:41 PM
  • so did ur get fixed or is it still messin up...

if it did get fix MSG me cuz i need same help...

well have the same thing goin on...

Sunday, March 28, 2010 12:07 AM
  • hi john,cn you suggest me of what  should i do with my (mvmpa)..if i will troubleshoot it..it says there that (mvmpa-could not start.(code 0)??pls help me..

Thursday, July 29, 2010 5:50 PM
  • Hi

I have meet the same problem,but the problem can not be solved if I download the latest  wireless adapter driver ,somebody online said that it was caused by the download of "xp mode"!

xuqing                                                                                                  

Tuesday, August 24, 2010 4:50 AM
  • John i was wondering if you had a fix to my problem the connection seems to be as a limited access connection and i'm not really sure how to fix this but i have a thought that this has to do with the drivers but again i'm not really sure about it hope you could give me some advice and help me:} its a HP  Pavilion all-in-one with Atheros AR5007Eg Driver I am pretty sure that if i get the updated driver it might fix the problem but since you have more experience you could've help me and thanks:} 
    Tuesday, August 09, 2011 5:42 PM
  • OMG TY SO MUCH UR A GOD,U FIXED MY PROBLEM THTS BEEN GOING SINCE 2 YEARS AGO,I OWE U EVERYTHING I HAV TYTYTYTYTYTYTYTYTYTYTYTYTY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    • Edited by AoDS4league Monday, January 16, 2012 1:56 AM
    Monday, January 16, 2012 1:56 AM
  • Hi John,

I had the same problem where wifi connection suddenly drops and when i troubleshoot it says "Problem with wireless adaptor or access point".

But, after that my multi touch touchpad is not working :(<o:p></o:p>

So two problems for me now.  Wireless issue and how can i get back my multitouch touchpad on my Asus K53S laptop.<o:p></o:p>

The wireless adaptor Atheros AR9285 wireless network adaptor. with that also MVWMA and Realtek PCIe GBE family controller.<o:p></o:p>

PLEASE HELP.

<o:p></o:p>

PS: I use Belkin n600db.  

Darshan<o:p></o:p>

Thursday, October 04, 2012 8:00 PM
  • Hi John,

You have just given me the help and instruction i need'ed to sort my problem with the WI FI mini port Adapter on my pc ,It's been giving me problems for a couple of weeks know but all sorted now thanks to you.

my appreciation for your help Richi 

Wednesday, April 16, 2014 7:23 PM
  • hi john,

I tried what u have said but I am not able to see it, even I changed OS also but it won't work for me 

17 hours 47 minutes ago