none
services greyed out in windows 7

Question

• Hi

I am hoping somebody can assist, I have for many years disbaled certain services to ensure my pc is running at maximum speed without many overheads. for some reason i am unable to do this in windows 7. if i go into the management console i can normally disable certain services but for some reason its all greyed out.

startup type-greyed out
    start-greyed out
    stop-greyed out
    resume-greyed out

How can i get round this? The account i use to log on has administrive credentials.

Kind Regards
    Richard
    Thursday, September 10, 2009 12:10 AM

Answers

• Why do you wish to stop the "DCOM Server Process Launcher"?  The control buttons are disabled because the service is already running, and doesn't support the stop, pause, or resume functions.  The Startup type is disabled because even an administrator, running the management console elevated, is prevented from changing the configuration.

If you are completely determined to change the startup type for this (and potentially other services that otherwise react similarly), run the services management console as SYSTEM.  One way to do this is to start a CMD prompt as SYSTEM (psexec -sid cmd.exe ), and from there launch services.msc.  When you do that, the Startup type dropdown becomes enabled...

But I don't recommend it... ;-)
    • Marked as answer by Linda Yan Friday, September 11, 2009 12:53 AM
    Thursday, September 10, 2009 10:04 AM

All replies

• Hi Richard,

Are you running the Services Management console as an elevated administrator?  What services are you having a difficult time configuring?
    Thursday, September 10, 2009 12:45 AM
  • Hi There,

I dont think i am running the console with elevated admin rights, I normally just set my account to have administrator priveleges but is it a bit more complicated then that.

The service i want to stop DCOM server Process Launcher, The startup type is set to "automatic" and i have no option to change these settings.

Kind Regards
    Richard
    Thursday, September 10, 2009 4:19 AM
  • No.Compromise's question about UAC is a good one, and I'm not sure you fully understood it, but it may be moot anyway as the DCOM Server Process Launcher may well be grayed out for everyone.

Just guessing, but I'd say the controls for this service are grayed-out because Windows believes this service to be essential to its operation.

Do you know what the DCOM Server Process Launcher actually does?  How do you know you want to disable it?  A lot of things rely on COM objects nowadays.  I notice quite a few entries in the section entitled "The following system components depend on this service".

Perhaps it's a bit early in the Windows 7 game to be disabling things to try to get it to run better.  It's not XP and the same tweaks will not necessarily apply.  I too started out wondering what I could disable, but I was talked out of doing so and sure enough Windows 7 actually seems to run pretty well if left alone.

I'm sure there will be more and more Windows 7 tuning tips published as time passes.

-Noel
    Thursday, September 10, 2009 4:45 AM
  • Why do you wish to stop the "DCOM Server Process Launcher"?  The control buttons are disabled because the service is already running, and doesn't support the stop, pause, or resume functions.  The Startup type is disabled because even an administrator, running the management console elevated, is prevented from changing the configuration.

If you are completely determined to change the startup type for this (and potentially other services that otherwise react similarly), run the services management console as SYSTEM.  One way to do this is to start a CMD prompt as SYSTEM (psexec -sid cmd.exe ), and from there launch services.msc.  When you do that, the Startup type dropdown becomes enabled...

But I don't recommend it... ;-)
    • Marked as answer by Linda Yan Friday, September 11, 2009 12:53 AM
    Thursday, September 10, 2009 10:04 AM
  • Hey there.,

Thanks No Compromise, That resolved the issue for me after downloadeding PStools. I didnt realise there are different admin rights to windows vista/windows 7 so this has been a great learning experience.

Because i am inquisitive i cant help but tinker, Its in my nature. I know these MS operating systems get bloated sometimes. Why have stuff running in the backgriound if you dont need it. obviously there are pitfalls but that is part of learning.

All the best
    Richard
    Thursday, September 10, 2009 1:58 PM
  • Tinkering is fine, but do make sure you have a verified backup of the system and any critical data... :-)
    Friday, September 11, 2009 1:22 AM
  • Thanks buddy, it also solved my problem. I really appreciate your efforts in making things easy for us. :)
    Monday, August 30, 2010 1:25 AM
  • I tried to use your instructions (to stop the oracle listener service), but it doesn't seem to work. It seems that the psexec process (which is connected to my local computer) is only able to use stdin,stdout, and stderr to communicate with the SYSTEM session. I'm using Windows 7, logged in as a non-admin. I run a console as admin (so that psexec can create the service), and run "psexec -s cmd" which opens a new prompt which has a different username associated with it (%USERNAME% returns the computername + "$"). I run ipconfig and get the response on the console, but if I try to run explorer or services.msc, it fails.

Let me know if you can think of any work-arounds or if you can repro this, thanks!

In Christ, Aaron

Friday, October 05, 2012 5:14 PM
  • Hey there.,

... I know these MS operating systems get bloated sometimes. Why have stuff running in the backgriound if you dont need it. obviously there are pitfalls but that is part of learning.

All the best
    Richard

I turn things off for two reasons:

1) To be more efficient. I use my system for business. Microsoft makes software for little girls to play.

2) To mitigate threats. Why have telephony when there's no modem, for example? I'll never fax, never do facebook, etc. To have any of that on in Services or Outlook is stupid.

Sunday, October 07, 2012 2:59 AM