none
windows 7 home premium 64-bit replacement disk

Question

• hello, i need some urgent help, i have a window 7 home premium 64-bit preinstalled on my computer and my computer recently crashed and i am unable to log on to windows and i don't have the installation dvd or any recovery disks at all and i live in trinidad and tobago; can someone help me on what to actually tell microsoft corporation trinidad and tobago to see if i can get the disk or some other way that i can get the disk?
    Sunday, February 14, 2010 1:02 PM

Answers

• you must go to the vendor you purchased the computer from or you buy a new disc.
    there is no "microsoft" replacement for OEM disc.
    Sunday, February 14, 2010 2:32 PM
  • Did your PC come with a recovery partition? Microsoft requires that commercial PCs have some way to restore the OS. The recovery partition is the least desirable way (it's lost if the HD fails), but it might work for you. (It would, however, restore the PC to the original factory state. All of your files, and any new applications, would be wiped.)

Your PCs maker may provide some sort of disk to serve the same purpose, but it may not be free. As Bubbapcguy remarked, Microsoft generally doesn't provide support for OEM installations.

If I were in your circumstances, I'd be trying to find an alternate path to obtain the Win7 DVD. All of the value of the Win7 license is in the 25 character key that came with your PC. The Windows 7 DVD is not copy-protected. You may have to modify the installer slightly to make it generic. The simplest way to do that is to copy it to a USB flash drive:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/dd535816.aspx

I haven't tried it, but supposedly if you remove \sources\ei.cfg, the installer becomes generic. This has the additional bonus of installing much more quickly than from the DVD. I used the USB drive method with the copies of the Win7 upgrade that I purchased and downloaded form the Microsoft Store.

If you don't have a friend with the DVD, I find that there are copies of the .iso (DVD disk image) available online, although not directly from Microsoft. (I won't post links here, although a search engine will turn them up easily.) Be sure to get one that matches the original hash codes, or you'll risk infection with malware. You can extract the .iso with freeware like 7Zip.

Good luck.

Sunday, February 14, 2010 3:39 PM
  • Hi Dookhan,

Bubbapcguy is right. There is no replacement from Microsoft for OEM computer. To ask for a recovery disk, you need to contact computer vendor.

Going back to the problem, Windows 7 is built-in with the System Recovery Options containing several tool, such as Startup Repair, System Restore which can help you recover Windows from a serious error. You can press F8 during the startup and launch these options. Have you tried it?

Best Regards
    Dale
    Wednesday, February 17, 2010 6:08 AM

All replies

• you must go to the vendor you purchased the computer from or you buy a new disc.
    there is no "microsoft" replacement for OEM disc.
    Sunday, February 14, 2010 2:32 PM
  • Did your PC come with a recovery partition? Microsoft requires that commercial PCs have some way to restore the OS. The recovery partition is the least desirable way (it's lost if the HD fails), but it might work for you. (It would, however, restore the PC to the original factory state. All of your files, and any new applications, would be wiped.)

Your PCs maker may provide some sort of disk to serve the same purpose, but it may not be free. As Bubbapcguy remarked, Microsoft generally doesn't provide support for OEM installations.

If I were in your circumstances, I'd be trying to find an alternate path to obtain the Win7 DVD. All of the value of the Win7 license is in the 25 character key that came with your PC. The Windows 7 DVD is not copy-protected. You may have to modify the installer slightly to make it generic. The simplest way to do that is to copy it to a USB flash drive:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/dd535816.aspx

I haven't tried it, but supposedly if you remove \sources\ei.cfg, the installer becomes generic. This has the additional bonus of installing much more quickly than from the DVD. I used the USB drive method with the copies of the Win7 upgrade that I purchased and downloaded form the Microsoft Store.

If you don't have a friend with the DVD, I find that there are copies of the .iso (DVD disk image) available online, although not directly from Microsoft. (I won't post links here, although a search engine will turn them up easily.) Be sure to get one that matches the original hash codes, or you'll risk infection with malware. You can extract the .iso with freeware like 7Zip.

Good luck.

Sunday, February 14, 2010 3:39 PM
  • Hi Dookhan,

Bubbapcguy is right. There is no replacement from Microsoft for OEM computer. To ask for a recovery disk, you need to contact computer vendor.

Going back to the problem, Windows 7 is built-in with the System Recovery Options containing several tool, such as Startup Repair, System Restore which can help you recover Windows from a serious error. You can press F8 during the startup and launch these options. Have you tried it?

Best Regards
    Dale
    Wednesday, February 17, 2010 6:08 AM
  • K. here is the thing, i have a dell pc alright and i have some program named, dell datasafe local and when i open it, it says dell recommends that you create a set of recovery disks now, now as you may know that dell has a hidden partition called pc restore, what i would like to know is since that partition is in the harddrive and the program burn/backup all files on your hard drive, isn't the hidden partition would also be burned to the dvd's?
    but can i also use those 2 dvd's to reinstall windows, e.g. like from the disk image,
    also when i was browsing through the files on the disk i saw a folder name, dellfactory/dellpreload etc.
    Saturday, February 20, 2010 3:19 PM
  • Your questions are still Dell questions, you need to be on phone or chatting online with dell to resolve your issues with restoring to the OS.
    Saturday, February 20, 2010 3:56 PM
  • Most peopel are talking Bull S***

your laptop or pc if you have your own key all you need is the DVD there are 2 types of OEM for thows out there that are just Dumm

There is open OEM such as you buy when you build your own PC

And attached OEM such as Dell Tosh Acer so think befor posting

If your hard drive drops dead an you pop in a new one you can use the Attached OEM or the OPEN oem Ebaysers sell them with out keys so have a look if you can read your COA Key your ok 

Wednesday, September 21, 2011 10:00 AM