none
Uninstalled Gadget Clock, How do I get it back?

Question

• I mistakenly uninstalled the default gadget clock that comes with Windows 7. It no longer shows up in the Gadget program. It appears to still be on my computer in the Windows Sidebar folder in Program Files. How do I restore it... THANKS
    Monday, January 26, 2009 7:12 AM

Answers

• Kusaywa,

I was going to suggest just re-downloading it from the gadgets website, but as I looked, didn't seem to find the original Clock gadget.

That being said, I worked out a very simple work-around. Basically, go to the Program Files/Windows Sidebar/Gadgets/Clock.Gadget directory. Now select all the files in that directory (Ctrl+A), right-click, Send To>Compressed (zipped) Folder. A message box will tell you it cannot create the Compressed Folder here, and asks you if you would like to place it on the desktop instead, Select "yes". Now go to the desktop, it has probably made a file called "drag.zip", rename the entire name (including file extension) to "Clock.gadget", it will ask you if you are sure you wish to change the entire name, and you answer "yes".

Now you have basically recompiled the original installer, just double-click on your newly-created "Clock.gadget" file, and it will ask you if you wish to install. A few clicks later and you are back in business.

I know it kind of looks complex, but it is very, very easy. I hope I have been of assistance to you.

• Proposed as answer by Julzzw Monday, January 26, 2009 9:37 AM
    • Marked as answer by Alex T JrModerator Monday, January 26, 2009 7:41 PM
    Monday, January 26, 2009 9:36 AM

All replies

• Kusaywa,

I was going to suggest just re-downloading it from the gadgets website, but as I looked, didn't seem to find the original Clock gadget.

That being said, I worked out a very simple work-around. Basically, go to the Program Files/Windows Sidebar/Gadgets/Clock.Gadget directory. Now select all the files in that directory (Ctrl+A), right-click, Send To>Compressed (zipped) Folder. A message box will tell you it cannot create the Compressed Folder here, and asks you if you would like to place it on the desktop instead, Select "yes". Now go to the desktop, it has probably made a file called "drag.zip", rename the entire name (including file extension) to "Clock.gadget", it will ask you if you are sure you wish to change the entire name, and you answer "yes".

Now you have basically recompiled the original installer, just double-click on your newly-created "Clock.gadget" file, and it will ask you if you wish to install. A few clicks later and you are back in business.

I know it kind of looks complex, but it is very, very easy. I hope I have been of assistance to you.

• Proposed as answer by Julzzw Monday, January 26, 2009 9:37 AM
    • Marked as answer by Alex T JrModerator Monday, January 26, 2009 7:41 PM
    Monday, January 26, 2009 9:36 AM
  • THANKS... worked perfectly!

Monday, January 26, 2009 5:12 PM
  • I have the same problem, using Vista. I tried your fix, which worked fine until I tried the double click on my new folder ("Clock.gadget"). This only opened the floder, showing the contents, rather than asking me to install. Also, I don't see an exec file to run, so I'm a bit lost. I'd like to have the original clock (I like the 'modern settings', renamed V'ger), but don't now understand how to re-install it. Ideas?
    Friday, February 26, 2010 1:54 AM
  • did not work=no exe file in win 7-got same results as braverts

Thursday, July 29, 2010 4:26 AM
  • I accidently uninstalled the currency converter in Vista but got it back by doing this;

1. Click on Control Panel

2. Find Windows Sidebar, double click and Windows Sidebar Properties comes up

3. Look down where it says Maintanence

4. And click on Restore gadgets installed with Windows

I got back the Currency Converter by doing this so you should be able to get back the Clock

• Proposed as answer by Jan Lenck Saturday, October 13, 2012 10:37 AM
    Saturday, November 20, 2010 6:47 AM
  • Thanks ALot...Lub YOu...
    Saturday, November 05, 2011 6:53 PM
  • Followed your advice and got my claendar back
    Thursday, November 22, 2012 12:07 PM
  • Thanks it worked perfectly. Till now i thought i need to get the original .gadget file for the already installed gadgets in the sidebar. Your answer not even fixed my issue but also educated me how to get the .gadgets files. Once again Thank You very much.
    • Edited by CrazyArjun Wednesday, March 27, 2013 6:48 AM Spelling mistake
    Wednesday, March 27, 2013 6:47 AM
  • Here's an easier one. Go to Start, then search "Restore Gadgets", then select "Restore desktop gadgets installed with Windows"
    Friday, November 22, 2013 3:16 PM
  • Thanks-that worked well.  Unfortunately, the clock may be the victim of MS discontinuing Gadgets.  Although the clock did re-install, it won't open.  Most of the other gadgets also changed.  I believe this all happened after a recent MS "upgrade."  Do you know if there is any way to make the clock work?  Again, thanks.
    Wednesday, November 27, 2013 7:51 PM
  • Great explanation, it did work just fine for me too, thanks !!

Thursday, February 20, 2014 3:40 AM