none
Canon RAW CR2 files do not work in WINDOWS 7

Question

• Heads up since the CANON VISTA drivers for RAW images (CR2) do not work in WINDOWS 7.
    Tuesday, May 12, 2009 3:42 PM

All replies

• Er, what do you mean by "they don't work"?

Windows 7 prompted me to download the latest CODEC from Canon (1.5.0, I think), and the RAW images are showing up just fine in Windows Live Photo Gallery and the Windows 7 Explorer...
    Tuesday, May 12, 2009 4:30 PM
  • I downloaded the CODEC from Canon website the same version you specified obviously for WINDOWS VISTA since they do not have anything for Windows 7 and it did not work. The program would not install. The error states.

"FAILED TO EXPAND FILES"

Wednesday, May 13, 2009 6:15 AM
  • Which Canon site did you get the CODEC from? I got mine from the European site here:
    http://software.canon-europe.com/software/0033279.asp?model=

It installed without problem...
    Wednesday, May 13, 2009 6:19 AM
  • Are you running x64 or x86? Several major manufacturers do not provide x64 support.

See http://www.microsoft.com/prophoto/downloads/codecs.aspx for a list of which camera manufacturers support x64.
    Thursday, May 14, 2009 7:53 AM
  • Hi

For my Nikon, I downloaded a codec on this web site : http://www.ardfry.com/
    Now I can see the preview in windows 7
    Saturday, May 16, 2009 3:29 PM
  • Ok I've got 2 Windows 7 Machines a x86 and x64.
    Also a Canon PowerShot G10 with the .CR2 RAW files extension.

Downloaded the "Canon RAW Codec 1.5.0" version "rc150upd_7l.exe" and installed on both machines.
    Link to Canon RAW Codec site

Conclusion the x86 machine works (very slow however) and the x64 doesn't work.

Canon doesn't do x64 programming for their RAW Codec ;-(

• Proposed as answer by macr88 Monday, August 17, 2009 5:13 AM
    Thursday, August 13, 2009 7:18 AM
  • I have win 7 64bit and the only way I've found to view cr2 files are with windows live gallery. It'll prompt you to download the codec and take you to canons site. I'm having a problem where only a few raw thumbnails will load? Is there any way to fix this. Thanks Mac
    Monday, August 17, 2009 5:17 AM
  • I'm ussing Windows 7 x64 and I got the same problem. Here is how I solve it...

1. Download and install "Canon RAW Codec 1.5.0" version "rc150upd_7l.exe" form the canon website.

2. Right cllick in any "CR2" photo and from the menu choose "open with". Once inside the menu, choose "Windows Live Photo Gallery" as the program to open CR2 files.

-Now you can open an see cr2 files in your windows 7.
    I'm having problems seeing some thumbails in the file explorer,  but you can watch them in the gallery of the "windows live gallery".
    You have to do this to do it...

1. Go to the folder of the pictures you are having problems with.
    2. Open any CR2 file in the Windows live photo gallery.
    3. From the "windows live photo gallery" window, you click on the first menu "Include folder in gallery".

There you go. You should have thumbails in both file explorer and windows live gallery.

• Proposed as answer by Trond 69 Thursday, January 07, 2010 7:28 PM
    Tuesday, August 25, 2009 3:38 PM
  • Try http://www.fastpictureviewer.com/codecs/

CR2 supported in 64-bit and 32-bit, along with 18 other raw formats and DNG.
    • Proposed as answer by Geoffc1 Friday, January 08, 2010 7:43 AM
    Saturday, October 31, 2009 10:33 AM
  • Fast Picture Viewer worked perfected for me (win 7 64-bit and Canon CR2-files). THANX!

Thursday, November 19, 2009 11:11 PM
  • If you know a way to use Window 7 (64bit) exporer and view canon CR2 files, plase let us know.  I upgraded (?) to windows 7 and neiither microsoft.com nor canon.com offers any support.  We need a patch and we need it yestereday.
    Tuesday, February 16, 2010 2:13 AM
  • The answer was given above by Axel Rietschin - use the RAW Codecs from FastPictureViewer. They are free, but the FastPictureViewer folks do ask for a donation. They are worth it.
    Tuesday, February 16, 2010 7:27 AM
  • It doesn't matter from what site or program for my cnaon 350d im trying to install. Everytime it says failed to expand. Running under XP 32bit.

Wednesday, February 17, 2010 6:08 PM
  • They are not free. Try 29.99 far from free.
    Saturday, July 24, 2010 2:37 AM
  • They are not free. Try 29.99 far from free.

At the time when I originally wrote the above answer (in February 2010), they were, in fact, free (although donations were asked for). Since the FastPictureViewer folks were obviously not getting much of a return on their investment in developing the codec, they have now started charging for it. They are currently offering it for $9.99. If you don't think it's worth it, you're welcome to look for an alternative.
    • Proposed as answer by ahdev Tuesday, July 05, 2011 5:49 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by ahdev Tuesday, July 05, 2011 5:49 AM
    Saturday, July 24, 2010 6:42 AM
  • FastPictureViewer is no longer free - but the owner chose NOT to update his ad in this forum
    Sunday, August 22, 2010 2:14 PM
  • Good man, works a treat - you have solved it without going round the houses.
    Tuesday, September 07, 2010 9:53 PM
  • For a workaround that is reasonably fast... just try using Google's Picasa and GIMP.  Install Gimp first, bog standard settings.  Install Picasa bog standard settings and Picasa will automatically set itself to assume control of .crw .cr2 etc...

Plus it's very fast at opening them up.  Should work well until a solution from microsoft comes out that isn't really in the dark.

Wednesday, November 10, 2010 9:46 AM
  • Just try Fastone : it's free and fast !  (shame for Canon and Microsoft !)
    • Proposed as answer by swapnilg1 Sunday, March 20, 2011 10:47 AM
    Monday, November 29, 2010 10:32 AM
  • I'm running Win 7 Pro x64 and my Canon t2i raw files would not show thumbnails and previews in an explorer window until I installed Windows Live Photo Gallery.  Now when folders are viewed in an explorer window thumbnails and previews are available (very slowly though) as long as windows live photo gallery is also open.  I'm not sure if it is building thumbnails for all of my photos (the reason it's running slow) or what because I'm not doing anything with WLPG yet it is using 25% of my core i7 processor.  I just got this working so I'll see if the task load goes down after a while.  I hope this helps others.
    Tuesday, January 04, 2011 6:45 AM
  • The solution from MonkeySensei worked perfectly for me!  I have a 64bit system and the latest Canon Codec (1.8) did NOT work.  You just have to remember to add each folder.  I wish you could add a folder and all sub-folders...
    Wednesday, January 12, 2011 6:38 PM
  • Use Ubuntu in place of Windows, you don´t need anything to make CR2 works.
    Tuesday, February 01, 2011 6:23 PM
  • this software is overly priced for its utility. If the programmer really wanted to be creative, they would have kept the price low and added features.
    Sunday, March 20, 2011 10:45 AM
  • Use Ubuntu in place of Windows, you don´t need anything to make CR2 works.

Wow... Useless comments like these drive me INSANE!!!
    Monday, April 11, 2011 2:01 AM
  • I installed the drivers from the European site, installed on 64bit Win7 and nothing showed up in explorer/preview. However, when I added the folder to Windows Media Player, everything jumped into action. I can now view in explorer, preview and WMP.
    Monday, April 18, 2011 2:26 PM
  • Just in case anyone else stumbles on this thread... here is a link to the Microsoft Codec pack which supports x64 and Canon 5D Mark II Raw / CR2 files.  Not super hard to find, but it isn't necessary to pay for a codec pack.  Installed on Windows 7 x64 and working fine.

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=26829

Saturday, December 17, 2011 5:42 PM
  • Thanks for your quick and easy fix to view the CR2 files with Windows 7. Now I am wondering if you also know if windows 7 or microsoft will allow for converting the CR2 files to Jpeg files?

Peace,

Julie

Tuesday, December 27, 2011 5:52 AM
  • Julie: you should be able to convert the CR2 files with the free XnView program.
    Tim De Baets
    http://www.bm-productions.tk
    Saturday, December 31, 2011 3:41 PM
  • Hello All,

If you're worried about using 3rd party codecs, as I am, you can install XP Mode, which I believe is a 32-bit Virtual OS.
    Regardless, I have the Canon T3i and installed the Canon software in my XP Mode virtual OS and works like a charm for editing T3i RAW and such.  It's slow, but it gets the job done without any other 3rd party software.
    Best of all, it's free!

Hope this helps...

Friday, May 04, 2012 5:20 PM