none
VPN Connection Wizard fails

Question

• Hello

On a Windows 7 laptop if I try to create a VPN connection the wizard either says "cannot connect" or bizarrely "connection created successfully" but no VPN WAN Miniport adapter appears in Network and Sharing Centre.

If I create a new user on the same laptop create VPN wizard works fine.

If I allow all users to use the connection it still does not appear in 1st user's Network and Sharing Centre.

If I log this user into another laptop on the same domain she can create a VPN connection no problem.

Any ideas?

Monday, December 03, 2012 3:02 PM

All replies

• Hi,

You may try to create a new VPN by rasphone. If it cannot create the VPN connection either. Please try deleting your Network Adapter and install it again.

If there is any update, please let me know.

TechNet Subscriber
    Support

If you are TechNet Subscription user
    and have any feedback on our support quality, please send your feedbackhere.

Juke Chou
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, December 05, 2012 8:54 AM
  • What is rasphone? Please give procedure

Wednesday, December 05, 2012 9:03 AM
  • Hi,

It is a application located in C:\Windows\System32. You can directly get it by Search in Start Menu.

Juke Chou

Wednesday, December 05, 2012 10:27 AM
  • I see. I will give it a go when I have access to the laptop again

Thanks for your help

Wednesday, December 05, 2012 11:24 AM
  • 

Is that user administrator on that laptop?

You can make a backup from that user’s profile on that laptop and then delete it, and then logon it again to recreate it, then check the matter again.

• Edited by Ali Hashemi Thursday, December 06, 2012 10:06 AM
    Thursday, December 06, 2012 10:05 AM
  • Hi Ali

Yes I had thought of that as a last resort. However this is the CEO's laptop. Any changes to desktop icons/programs/emails etc.. will not be good.

Thursday, December 06, 2012 10:26 AM
  • Hi,

The Phonebook file is lolcated in C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Network\Connections\PBK. All your VPN settings will be saved into this file. You can also directly double-click this file to lanuch rasphone to create a new connection. Please try and let me know the result.

Juke Chou

Friday, December 07, 2012 7:01 AM
  • Rasphone error

cannot load phonebook

Error 621: the system could not open the phone book file

Wednesday, December 19, 2012 9:47 AM
  • Hi,

I think the phonebook should be corrupted.

Please try deleting this file, then run rasphone. The file will be recreated.

Juke Chou

Wednesday, December 19, 2012 9:59 AM