none
Windows 8 won't allow me to add a second hard drive

Question

• Sirs,

I try to add a second internal SATA 6 hard drive to my computer. On restart, Windows 8 gives a message "Preparing Automatic Repair" and after few seconds it restarts computer and again the same message and continues to restart.

This SATA was already working smoothly with Windows 7 and Windows 8 RP.

When I detach the HDD Windows 8 starts as usual.

I loaded Gparted Live and it showed all the hard drives as healthy and working. Then I loaded Ubuntu Live (latest). I could copy and move files from and to the hard drives. There is something wrong collaborative between Windows 8, UEFI, and hardware (BIOS) perhaps not ready for the market that I can't sort it out. I hooked SATA cables to many different scenarios, with no result, yet.  Should be obliged for any advice.

Windows 8 Enterprise

ASUS P9X79 PRO,

Core i7-3820 3.6GHz LGA2011 10MB 130W,

Sapphire Technology ATI
    Radeon 7770 HD 1GHz 1GB PCI-Express 3.0,

Kingston 32GB (8 x 4GB) HyperX 1600MHz DDR3,

PJ

Saturday, October 20, 2012 9:52 AM

Answers

• So if I read what you have listed right your BOOT drive is the SATA 3 drives.  When you installed Windows 8 that would have been Drive 2.  But when you add another SATA6 drive that's going to be sandwiched between Drive 1 and the existing SATA 3 drive.  So the BOOT drive would now become Drive 3 in terms of the system.  So when the Bootldr tries to find the partition that has Windows 8 it looks in physical drive 2, which is now a new Drive and so the C:\Windows directory can't be found.  I know how we would have fixed this in the past by editing the BOOT.INI file.  But I'm not sure what you would need to do with BCDedit to fix this issue.  I suspect there is no easy fix.  If I'm right you could easily add a SATA 3 drive to the existing system, but not a SATA 6 drive.

Paul Stork SharePoint Server
    MVP Senior Solutions Architect: BlueChip Consulting Group
    Blog: http://dontpapanic.com/blog
    Twitter: Follow @pstork
    Please remember to mark your question as "answered" if this solves your problem.

Sunday, October 21, 2012 4:55 PM
  • Sirs,

It is resolved as

"Windows 8 UEFI won't boot together with, in presence of,
    another drive in the system when that other drive contains an extended
    Partition."

My second drive contained an extended partition. I had to move content of that partition. I deleted that partition, then, and changed it to a primary one.
    My second drive now is working normally with the Windows 8 drive.

Please look at the screen shot after successful boot with both drives:

Credit goes to http://windows8forums.com/windows-8-rtm-support/13384-windows-8-wont-allow-me-add-second-hard-drive-new-post.html

Many thanks for other participants in this thread, too.

Best Regards

PJ

PJ

Thursday, October 25, 2012 11:46 AM

All replies

• Could loading the drive be changing the volume order of drives in your system BIOS?  If it does that will throw off the boot process since the windows boot loader boots the system based on the numbering of the drives by the BIOS.

Please remember to mark your question as "answered" if this solves your problem.

Saturday, October 20, 2012 11:59 AM
  • Sir,

That was helpful; thanks. But I couldn't solve it. This is array of my 8 internal SATA's:

Intel® X79 Serial ATA 6.0 Gb/s connectors
    (7-pin SATA6G_1/2 [gray]) SATA6G_1 connected to WD5000AZRX (Western Digital SATA6 500GB) partitioned as NTFS Containing files and folders.

Intel® X79 Serial ATA 3.0 Gb/s connectors
    (7-pin SATA3G_3–6 [blue]) SATA3G_1 connected to WD5000AADS (Western Digital SATA3 500GB) partitioned by Windows 8 defaults Containing operating system and installed applications.
    Marvell® Serial ATA 6.0 Gb/s connectors
    (7-pin SATA6G_E1/E2 [gray])

I insert screens of Boot and SATA's

Best Regards

PJ

PJ

Sunday, October 21, 2012 11:57 AM
  • So if I read what you have listed right your BOOT drive is the SATA 3 drives.  When you installed Windows 8 that would have been Drive 2.  But when you add another SATA6 drive that's going to be sandwiched between Drive 1 and the existing SATA 3 drive.  So the BOOT drive would now become Drive 3 in terms of the system.  So when the Bootldr tries to find the partition that has Windows 8 it looks in physical drive 2, which is now a new Drive and so the C:\Windows directory can't be found.  I know how we would have fixed this in the past by editing the BOOT.INI file.  But I'm not sure what you would need to do with BCDedit to fix this issue.  I suspect there is no easy fix.  If I'm right you could easily add a SATA 3 drive to the existing system, but not a SATA 6 drive.

Sunday, October 21, 2012 4:55 PM
  • Sir,

I did a clean install with both SATAs connected. After the screen that says, "Restarts in 10 seconds" (that is, when Windows has installed in to HDD) when Windows restarted the same message came out as "Preparing Automatic Repair" again and again until I disconnected the second drive. Then Windows completed its installation and started to work normally.

You are correct Sir. It seems Windows 8 should be on the very first physical drive, as well. I might get a SATA 6 Dive and try to test it. At present I can't have access to my files on the other drive except by using Ubuntu live cd.

PJ

Sunday, October 21, 2012 5:27 PM
  • Sirs,

I re-configured SATA's as

Intel® X79 Serial ATA 6.0 Gb/s connectors
    (7-pin SATA6G_1/2 [gray])

SATA6G_1 connected to WD5000AADS (Western Digital SATA3 500GB) partitioned by Windows 8 defaults Containing operating system and installed applications. (As SATA6 host is backward compatible with SATA3 drive )

SATA6G_2 connected to WD5000AZRX (Western Digital SATA6 500GB) partitioned as NTFS Containing files and folders.

Windows worked normally when alone but didn't allow connection of second SATA6.

SATA 6 has three NTFS created partitions: 1st is logical 2nd is logical, 3rd is extended.

I shut down the computer and  connected both drives and booted from Windows 8 media. Opened a command prompt for repair.

Windows 8 was on C:

Media was on D:

3rd extended was on E:

2nd logical was on F:

There was no 1st logical drive on G:

On G: there was bootmgr and other similar files. I checked all alphabets there was no sign of the 1st logical drive of SATA6.

Again opening by Ubuntu live showed all partitions and files on SATA6 untouched as before.

I wonder if cloning or copying of SATA6 to a new drive might transfer the fault.

PJ

Tuesday, October 23, 2012 3:59 PM
  • Correction of the last post:

SATA6G_1 connected to WD5000AADS (Western Digital SATA3 500GB) partitioned by Windows 8 defaults Containing operating system and installed applications. (As SATA6 host is backward compatible with SATA3 drive )

SATA6G_2 connected to WD5000AZRX (Western Digital SATA6 500GB) partitioned as NTFS Containing files and folders.

Windows worked normally when alone but didn't allow connection of second SATA6.

SATA 6 has three NTFS created partitions: 1st is logical 2nd is logical, 3rd is extended.

I shut down the computer and  connected both drives and booted from Windows 8 media. Opened a command prompt for repair.

Windows 8 was on C:

1st logical was on D:

3rd extended was on E:

2nd logical was on F:

On G: there was bootmgr and other similar files.

Please look at the screen:

Now I wonder if it is safe to hot plug the second drive while Windows 8 is running. Motherboard BIOS supports hot plug to be enabled.

PJ

Thursday, October 25, 2012 8:00 AM
  • Sirs,

It is resolved as

"Windows 8 UEFI won't boot together with, in presence of,
    another drive in the system when that other drive contains an extended
    Partition."

My second drive contained an extended partition. I had to move content of that partition. I deleted that partition, then, and changed it to a primary one.
    My second drive now is working normally with the Windows 8 drive.

Please look at the screen shot after successful boot with both drives:

Credit goes to http://windows8forums.com/windows-8-rtm-support/13384-windows-8-wont-allow-me-add-second-hard-drive-new-post.html

Many thanks for other participants in this thread, too.

Best Regards

PJ

PJ

Thursday, October 25, 2012 11:46 AM