none
Matshita dvd-ram UJ870QJ ATA device

Question

• I have an Acer Aspire 4520 laptop with Windows Vista Home Premium 32 bit.  The matshita dvd-ram UJ870QJ ata device is what was installed on the computer when I bought it (March 2008) and up until a couple weeks ago it was working fine. Now I am getting the message:  Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged. (Code 19)

Click 'Check for solutions' to send data about this device to Microsoft and to see if there is a solution available.

Whenever I look at the properties.  However, I ran the update, and it is all up to date, and they have no solutions to offer. I uninstalled a DVD decrypter that I had recently installed, but I don't think that had anything to do with it as the driver had been working after that.  Any HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!
    Wednesday, September 03, 2008 3:23 PM

Answers

• Hi

First, try System Restore to go back to a point before the problem first appeared. System Restore points include a complete backup of the registry.

See the following website for the SR instructions.

How to use System Restore in Windows Vista:
    http://bertk.mvps.org/html/restoresysv.html

If this does not work, contact Acer support for updated drivers and instructions for reinstalling the device.

ACER Support & Download:
    http://acer.com/support/index.htm

Hope this helps.

If this post helps to resolve your issue, click the Mark as Answer or Helpful button at the top of this message.
    By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Windows Desktop Experience
    Wednesday, September 03, 2008 11:40 PM

All replies

• Hi

First, try System Restore to go back to a point before the problem first appeared. System Restore points include a complete backup of the registry.

See the following website for the SR instructions.

How to use System Restore in Windows Vista:
    http://bertk.mvps.org/html/restoresysv.html

If this does not work, contact Acer support for updated drivers and instructions for reinstalling the device.

ACER Support & Download:
    http://acer.com/support/index.htm

Hope this helps.

If this post helps to resolve your issue, click the Mark as Answer or Helpful button at the top of this message.
    By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Wednesday, September 03, 2008 11:40 PM
  • Hi,

Normally, this issue is caused by incompatible CD/DVD-burning software or damaged registry information. Let's perform the following steps to troubleshoot this issue:

Step 1: If you have installed any CD/DVD-burning software, please temporarily remove them from "Control Panel"-> "Programs and Features".

Step 2: Modify the Registry

====================

1. Click the Start Button, type regedit in the "Start Search" text box and then press ENTER.

2. Navigate to the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

3. Right click the {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} entry, choose "Export", select Desktop in the Save in box and type backup in File Name. Click Save.

Please Note: The backup file is on the Desktop and named backup.reg. We can simply restore the registry by double-clicking the backup.reg file.

4. Highlight this key ({4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}), on the right pane, and then check if Upperfilters and Lowerfilters value are present. If so, please right click on the values and select "Delete" to remove them.

5. Restart the computer

Step 3: Remove the DVD-ROM drive

===========================

1. Click the Start Button, type devmgmt.msc in the “Start Search” box and press Enter.

2. Expand "DVD/CD-ROM drives".

3. Right click the DVD-ROM drive, and click "Uninstall".

Then, please restart the computer. Does the DVD-ROM work properly now?

Hope it helps.

• Proposed as answer by CarmelLuis Sunday, December 13, 2009 7:08 PM
    Friday, September 05, 2008 5:47 AM
  • spot on with this one, so easy to follow, didn't even have to do step 3, i have acer aspire 5315 so any1 else with probs with cd/dvd drive use as the guy above has advised

Saturday, September 27, 2008 10:51 PM
  • I need help..

I have a Matshita dvd-ram UJ870QJ, it used to read and write any CD format unfortunately now it can only read and write DVD format (DVD-R and DVD-RW). It cannot also read some CD installers..  

What's wrong with my drive?

Thursday, October 02, 2008 1:54 PM
  •  

Hi I was reading your post about cd/dvd rom not working and followed your steps. The only thing is you didnt mention what to do if one of the upperfilters or lowerfilters isnt on the right pane list (in my case its the lowerfilters). I have an Acer 4620z and my cd/dvd driver worked fine up until a few weeks ago, now i get a code 19 in my device manager for this drive. I tried the restoring updating, and checking the manufactures website for driver updates and none of it has helped. Im boggling my brain trying to fix this issue. So please tell me what to do now that Ive gotten this far, but just dont have the lowerfilter in the registry editor......PLEASE HELP!!!!!
    Wednesday, November 19, 2008 1:45 AM
  • Hi

Please see my reply to your other post on this subject.

Read your post in Sep about cd/dvd driver, but am missing one thing from your instructions on how to reset - TechNet Forums:
    http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=4143553&SiteID=17

Hope this helps.

If this post helps to resolve your issue, click the Mark as Answer button at the top of this message.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Thursday, November 20, 2008 1:43 AM
  • Hi,

Normally, this issue is caused by incompatible CD/DVD-burning software or damaged registry information. Let's perform the following steps to troubleshoot this issue:

Step 1: If you have installed any CD/DVD-burning software, please temporarily remove them from "Control Panel"-> "Programs and Features".

====================

1. Click the Start Button, type regedit in the "Start Search" text box and then press ENTER.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

3. Right click the {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} entry, choose "Export", select Desktop in the Save in box and type backup in File Name. Click Save.

Please Note: The backup file is on the Desktop and named backup.reg. We can simply restore the registry by double-clicking the backup.reg file.

4. Highlight this key ({4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}), on the right pane, and then check if Upperfilters and Lowerfilters value are present. If so, please right click on the values and select "Delete" to remove them.

5. Restart the computer

1. Click the Start Button, type devmgmt.msc in the “Start Search” box and press Enter.

Hope it helps.

This was very helpful indeed.

Even did not need step 3.

Deleted both low and high filters and restarted my computer and VOILA ALL FIXED!

Thanks
    Sunday, April 05, 2009 6:35 AM
  • I need help..

I have a Matshita dvd-ram UJ870QJ, it used to read and write any CD format unfortunately now it can only read and write DVD format (DVD-R and DVD-RW). It cannot also read some CD installers..  

What's wrong with my drive?

I did have same problem and it was due to broken registry.
    I just downloaded two files from here http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/swu-list.pl?mdl=VGNCR420E&LOC=3 . It fixed my problem. Even though I didn't see any same driver for this device there., I downloaded these following two files. (1) Sony® Registry Update for CD/DVD Drives   (From CD/DVD drivers ) and  (2) Disc Software Update   (From Click to Disk TM). It fixed.

I found the full driver of this device after I fixed my problem. You can try it from here. http://rapidlibrary.com/index.php?q=uj870qj+ata+driver .
    Good luck.
    Tuesday, May 05, 2009 6:41 AM
  • Thanks allot!!! That was very helpfull!
    Saturday, August 01, 2009 5:09 PM
  • Hi Robinson Zhang 

Eres un genio
    Thanks !
    Thanks ! 
    Thanks a lot !
    Muchas Gracias !!!
    Funciona perfecto. Me has sacado de una gran dolor de cabeza.

• Edited by CarmelLuis Sunday, December 13, 2009 7:13 PM Funciona !
    Sunday, December 13, 2009 7:11 PM
  • I have a Sony Vaio NGU-CR353 laptop (with windows vista home premium SP2). The DVD/CR-ROM device installed is Matshita dvd-ram UJ870QJ ata device. It was working fine until recently it stop reading DVD-R disc. Now I can only burn my dvd into DVD+R disc but not DVD-R. I've tried deleting the upper and lower filter in the reg. editor window and followed all 3 steps but it still doesn't fix my problem. Can anyone help me out!!!
    Friday, January 22, 2010 11:18 AM
  • DIS GUY IS A FREAKEN GENIUS I HAVE AN ACER ASPIRE 4720Z AND I WAS RECEIVING ERROR CODE (39) FOR MY matshita dvd-ram UJ870QJ ata device AND I FOLLOWED THE SIMPLE STEPS UP TO STEP 3 AND MY DRIVER WAS FIXED IMMEDIATLY AFTER I RESTARTED MY LABTOP DIDNT NEED 2 DO STEP 3 THANKS ALOT TECH GUY!!!!
    Saturday, February 27, 2010 5:58 AM
  • i've followed the steps but i do not find upperfilters and lowfilters values, can someone plz help??? thnx a lot!!!
    Thursday, April 08, 2010 6:37 PM
  • You are incredible........I own a sony and this was perfect...I was pulling my hair out with drivers etc.  These instructions were  precise.  TY TY TY
    Sunday, October 17, 2010 4:29 AM
  • I did this too and it did not fix my issue.  I had to delete the lower in my registry.
    Sunday, October 17, 2010 4:30 AM
  • Hi,

====================

5. Restart the computer

Hope it helps.

Robinson Zhang has been of great help your information to solve the problem, thank you very much!!!
    Tuesday, January 18, 2011 9:44 PM
  • Hi did you get a solution for this problem, i've exactly the same issue. no upper/lower filters in my regedit.
    Saturday, August 13, 2011 10:02 AM