none
Problems with Media Player 12... Media Sharing

Question

• I am running Win7RC1 and I have been having some issues with Windows Media Player 12.

1. Media Sharing can not be turned off or disabled.
      -TS- I disabled media sharing by options and in library (some options are grayed out).  My media share is still showing on the net work.  Users can not play the music but they can still see it.
      -TS- Changed network settings. I flushed the DNS reset all hardware. All the stupid trouble shooting steps... I have 2 know good networks and 8 computers to test with.
      -TS- Re-tested all TS in admin mode... still a no go.
      -TS- Googled the heck out of this bug.  Not much listed.
      -TS- Uninstalled WMP12 and the share is gone... not really the fix i was going for.

2. Adding media to the library takes too long.
      -TS- Added media to local drive.
      -TS- Changed connection from USB2, Fire wire, and eSata all have about the same speed.
      -TS- Looked on forums no answers to explain the loading time for 10.5g of music that windows media 10 loaded in 2 minutes.
      -TS- Tried competitor music program (iTunes) takes about 4 minutes to load all songs... that’s even with the program auto converting wma to m4a (unwanted feature)...

3. There are a lot of the features I think are missing from media 10 that should be in 12.
      -Comment- Hard to navigate.
      -Comment- Tabs are still a good feature.
      -Comment- Now playing window was nice.  It allowed a good switch from library to playing window. 

---My system specs---
    OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate
    Version 6.1.7100 Build 7100
    System Type x64-based PC
    Processor AMD Athlon(tm) 7750 Dual-Core Processor, 2700 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s)
    BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. 0601, 4/8/2009
    SMBIOS Version 2.5
    Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 8.00 GB
    Total Physical Memory 7.50 GB
    Available Physical Memory 5.86 GB
    Total Virtual Memory 15.0 GB
    Available Virtual Memory 12.9 GB
    Page File Space 7.50 GB

Saturday, May 23, 2009 7:45 PM

All replies

• I'm going to second the comment that there is no way that I've found to disable media sharing for Windows Media Player 12.  I would like to be able to enable it or disable it on a per-profile basis.
    Sunday, May 31, 2009 10:11 PM
  • Although this is far from an ideal situation for the average end user, you should be able to disable media sharing for Windows Media Player 12 by opening the services.msc menu from Instant Search, scrolling down to the Windows Media Network Sharing Service, and right-clicking to open the Properties menu. From there, change the Startup type to Disabled.

-Alex
    Monday, June 01, 2009 2:26 AM
  • I agree with the OP 100%. WMP12 is a nightmare for media sharing.

It just doesn't work.

I use Nero Media Home to share my home media across the network and to my gaming consoles, even to my Microsoft Xbox 360.

The WMP12 Media Library is a nightmare, it's difficult, ugly and takes way too long. In fact WMP12 will not even index my entire library of over 2TB of movies and music. It just gives up, where as Nero does not have a problem with this.

WMP11 was awesome and worked perfectly on Vista Ultimate.

What is wrong with WMP12?
    Thursday, October 29, 2009 5:50 AM
  • Alex, that seemed to solve the sharing issue - thank you.

I totally agree with other people on this post about 12 - it sucks for all the reasons stated.  In Softy's attempt to constantly re-invent WMP, they given us an inferior product that is not intuitive to use.  11 was so much better, but again I will concur with Axis.

For now Alex, thank you for the work around.

Matt

Wednesday, July 20, 2011 7:49 PM
  • Here we go again: my problem has returned!  Same issue of audio/video stuttering, but with the media sharing featured turned off.  It happens as part of a process, occuring every 1:34 seconds.  I have also shut off media sharing on all computers and my MediaSmart server.

It seems that codecs might be to blame here, but I can't lock down the specific issue, which occurs BTW whether I'm using WMP12's codecs or a third-party like Shark.

Any new ideas?

Wednesday, August 10, 2011 6:08 PM
  • mfc90125: do you still get the stuttering when you boot Windows into Clean Boot mode?

Tim De Baets
    http://www.bm-productions.tk
    Friday, August 12, 2011 4:06 PM
  • Hi mfc90125

First I would suggest changing codec packs (I personally think Sharks pack needs work "my opinion") I use K-lite codec packs for years and have never had an issue with them plus they are constantly updating them to the latest an greatest.

Another good alternative is CCCP Pack (Combine Community Codec Pack).

Good Luck and hope this helps.

Please remember to flag a post that helps you as "answer" so that it may help others with same problems.
    Saturday, August 13, 2011 4:44 PM