none
EMU 1820m problem...

Question

• Hello all,

First time I've posted on this forum. A subscriber of TechNet+ for a couple of years or so, now. Good stuff.

Before I get to the problem, here's my system setup :
    - e-vga nForce 680i SLI motherboard
    - Intel E6700 Core 2 Duo
    - 2GB matched pair of Corsair RAM (2x 1GB sticks)
    - Thermaltake 850W PSU (replaced, as the previous one died some time ago while the PC was off -though not unplugged- during a power outage... I'm guessing it got jolted somehow)
    - Asus EN8800 GTX (what a card!)
    - WD 250GB SATA-2 HDD x2
    - Vista Ultimate
    PSU aside, the components are a year old.

What I wanted to do was add my E-Mu 1820m soundcard from my old XP PC and try out their beta driver... (I didn't bother installing the daughter card, as I don't use its features anymore.)

So far it's ruined the beginning of a two-week holiday
    Here's why :
    I first install driver, choose 'no' at the restart prompt and then install the PAtchMix software and then restart.
    I go away for a minute and when I come back... the PC is off.
    Odd.
    So I restart... and it shuts down suddenly as I get to the logon screen. Coldly and boldly.
    Brilliant. Sad
    So I figured, I need to plug in a power cable into the soundcard (same connector as that for a floppy drive)... but the system still shuts down at the logon screen.
    So I ultimately decide to just remove the soundcard and uninstall the driver in safe mode (which doesn't cause any sudden shutdowns). I even went through the Registry to clear come entries which I was confident were part of the driver (I backed them all up, anyway, just in case).

The problem is : even with no soundcard and no sound driver, the PC still shuts down spontaneously at logon screen... Sometimes I can log on, but it'll crash about 30 seconds after that...

I tried to run Vista's memory test programme on the CD (on default settigns), but that also resulted in a spontaneous shutdown, about 10% into the test.

So question is : what's gone wrong? why?
    By not plugging in the power cable to the soundcard straight, did that result in overloading the pci-e x16 slot of the graphics card? (I suggest that because, on the times I see the logon screen long enough, there seems to be a bit of graphical 'corruption', that is : the logon screen doesn't show entirely in gone, it loads in segments, in a way.)
    I went into safe mode and also uninstalled the graphics driver, but that doesn't help either.

BTW : restore points or full restores from a backup are not possible.

I also tried the boot logging mode and nothign really usefull in there from, what I can see and from a few searches on Google... (a line that comes up often is the one stating that cpu.inf could not be loaded... but no one seems to know if that's good or bad... and if it bad, what has the processor got to do with any of this?)

Thanks for your help.
    Monday, February 18, 2008 5:36 PM

Answers

• They don't offer support for their beta driver. (As well as considering the driver non-supported by Vista... But I have had few compatibility problems ever since I used Vista daily, so saying "non-supported" just covers them.)

However, applying a new coat of Arctic Silver 5 solved the problem.  I can't really imagine what I could have done to cause the CPU to overheat after installing a soundcard, but ok...
    Sunday, February 24, 2008 7:59 PM

All replies

• By simply going into the BIOS and staying there for a couple of minutes, you see the CPU temperature climbs all the way to about 78°C (roughly 172°F!) and then the PC shuts down. I have already taken off the heatsink (to clean some of the dust off it), so now it seems that once one does that, you need to re-apply some thermal paste/compound? Is that correct? (CPU fan works and is properly connected.)
    Tuesday, February 19, 2008 1:42 PM
  • Hi,

This issue may due to the incompatibility between the beta driver and Vista. It is hard to determine whether you have removed all the beta driver clearly. If not, the system may not work correctly. I would like to suggest that you contact EMU support for further investigation:

http://www.emu.com/support/vista.asp

Hope it helps.
    -----------------------------
    Sincerely,
    Guozhen Wang
    Microsoft Online Community Support

Wednesday, February 20, 2008 9:36 AM
  • They don't offer support for their beta driver. (As well as considering the driver non-supported by Vista... But I have had few compatibility problems ever since I used Vista daily, so saying "non-supported" just covers them.)

However, applying a new coat of Arctic Silver 5 solved the problem.  I can't really imagine what I could have done to cause the CPU to overheat after installing a soundcard, but ok...
    Sunday, February 24, 2008 7:59 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for update here and bring your thought to us.

I am happy to know the issue is resolved.

-----------------------------
    Sincerely,
    Guozhen Wang
    Microsoft Online Community Support
    Monday, February 25, 2008 5:27 AM