none
Google Security Certificate Expired- NOT A SYSTEM CLOCK ISSUE

Question

• I recently had a virus such that it leads you to believe that you have viruses, malware, and armageddon somehow installed on your system and that you have to buy the associated/suggested software to save you when in actuality the virus is the product offering itself.

After removing it successfully, using IE8 my google calendar no longer works. I get the error message to the effect of 'the service is not currently available, try back later..'. Logging on to another PC does NOT replicate the problem.

Additionally, trying to use Mozilla as a work around exposes a possible related concerns: it claims that the google security certificate is expired as of 1/4/2010. even though, i have used the calendar without this error up to and until the virus issue this past Sunday (3/21/10).

Google provides limited suggestions as a resolution, all of which I have tried and confirmed not to work. My clocks date/time is set accurately. I have deleted ALL cached and temp files, cookies, etc. I can find. I have renamed any google software folders. All to no avail. I also updated from IE7 to IE8

Does anyone know of any other possible options to attempt in order to resolve this? Thank you!

Friday, March 26, 2010 6:29 PM

All replies

• hi briandhaupt,

now you have IE8 i would srongley recomend removing google completely, check out the resent nss labs.com on the safety of browsing and its independant studies on how and why IE* is the safest option to date.

but if you must have it then attempt to unistall and the resart system and then clean your disks and temp folders then attempy a new install.

because you had a virus i strongley recomend you install Microsoft Security Essentials and perform a complete scan, its free of charge and requries little to none attention as its all automated.

hope this helps

yours

ashley

Monday, April 05, 2010 6:24 PM
  • Sounds like the virus you had was "My Security Engine," which masquerades, ironically, as antivirus software. For more info on the virus, see: http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=49160

Although it sounds like you removed it, it screws with your hosts file, which you should replace.

To fix:

Go to http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/972034?p=1

Click on the "Fix it" logo.

Download & run the file.

Restart your computer.

Hopefully that'll fix your problem.

Wednesday, May 12, 2010 2:57 PM