none
windows 7 devices and printers not showing

General discussion

• The ultimate fix was when MS Support advised be to go to services.msc and start Bluetooth services (and set it to automatic) -- I did, rebooted and the Windows 7 Pro Devices and Printers once again showed up!

Not sure why Bluetooh services would cause my Device and Printers window to open blank (and seemingly keep looking for icons to populate the screen), but I am sure the code fix will be in a fuute windows update.

There was no other place to put this so, I figured that this possible solution will help other early adopters of Win7
    Tuesday, December 08, 2009 3:59 PM

All replies

• Thank you Rick.  Your solution worked

Cheers

Mary

Monday, October 25, 2010 11:29 PM
  • Great ! Thanks for sharing.

I actually didn't have to reboot, but merely start the service. Unbelievable..... but it's working . Tkx.

Wednesday, April 13, 2011 1:40 PM
  • Thanks Rick,

Piece of cake to resolve the issue and it did work.  Not sure as to why that affects the device and printers as well.

Sunday, August 14, 2011 2:01 PM
  • Thank you. This has been driving me nuts for weeks and you finally provided the solution. I'm not an early adopter and we are on SP1 - and this still is not resolved correctly. 

The workaround is perfect.

Tim

Tuesday, September 06, 2011 10:24 PM
  • This also fixed a second issue. I have not been able to click the "Remove Hardware Safely" icon to eject devices from the tray. Thanks again. Two birds with one stone.
    Tuesday, September 06, 2011 10:32 PM
  • The ultimate fix was when MS Support advised be to go to services.msc and start Bluetooth services (and set it to automatic) -- I did, rebooted and the Windows 7 Pro Devices and Printers once again showed up!

Not sure why Bluetooh services would cause my Device and Printers window to open blank (and seemingly keep looking for icons to populate the screen), but I am sure the code fix will be in a fuute windows update.

There was no other place to put this so, I figured that this possible solution will help other early adopters of Win7

Thanks a lot Rick , it solve my problem, fixes my bluetooth problem, i was working on the problem for a couple of days.

Thanks again !

Thursday, December 01, 2011 12:02 PM
  • This problem of printers now showing under devices and printers can also be caused by installing then then uninstalling access 97 on windows 7. reinstalling access 97 fixes the problem. don't know why but it's consistent accross devices no matter how many times you install or uninstall.
    Wednesday, December 14, 2011 1:53 AM
  • Try the below KB:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2486635: The Devices and Printers window stops responding (hangs) after you disable the Bluetooth Support service in Windows 7 or in Windows Server 2008 R2

Wednesday, March 14, 2012 5:16 PM
  • I have the sames problem with my Devices and printers it will not load.  Ive tried all the fixed mentioned here and a few others.  For me, i noticed that when i opened Devices and printers by going through the control panel it loads just fine. But if i try going to Devices and printers from the start menu, it will not load.

Monday, April 30, 2012 5:00 PM
  • It worked!!!!!!!! Thank you.
    Wednesday, October 17, 2012 4:20 PM
  • This is really good and quick solution. Many many thanks
    Monday, October 22, 2012 1:43 AM
  • Tried this.  I didn't work for me.  Just saying.
    Saturday, November 24, 2012 2:01 PM
  • Thank Rick27607.

services.msc it really grate solutions. Enter to run, tape services.msc, activate Blutouth and ales!

Tuesday, December 04, 2012 2:34 PM
  • Hi,

I tried all things mentioned here and in other forums; nothing helped us to get things done. Printers were still not showing up in Devices and Printers.

I discovered opening Printers and Devices in a separate process (with a Shift+right click on Printers and Devices) works - All Printers and devices show up in Printers and Devices now.

Do not know what caused this behaviour, but to avoid any further issues I changed the following:

Open Windows Explorer, goto Extras, Options, View and Activate the "..run in separate Process" Option.

That helped us.

Josi

Monday, May 20, 2013 8:59 PM
  • Not sure if anyone can help me.  I have tried all of these fixes and I keep having the problem reappear.  It is only happening on the Lenovo laptops (8 in all)  This issue does not happen on any other brand of laptop or PC all are Win 7 Pro (over 200 setup in the last 12 months).

As mentioned above I have tried all of the fixes to no avail.  Any suggestions?

Friday, April 25, 2014 12:10 AM
  • NOT SOLVED THE PROBLEM IS BACK perhaps worst: I know it is a lot to read but if you have time please read carefully so we can get to the bottom of this problem.

Tried everything suggested from Bluetooth service to Windows in-place upgrade. Please help!

Most interesting is it is showing same or very similar problem on multiple Windows computers in HOME network and HOME Group. Not on all of them. so here is some background (it may show that some other people with the same problem may have same setup): 8x Windows PC - Vista, W7 and W8.1, plus Macs, iOS, Linux, Android devices and 2 wired network printers - Brother MFC9120CN and HP Officejet 6500. Now PCs with trouble (1 W7 Ultimate, 1 Vista Pro and 2x W8.1 - Vista and W7 had this problem before W8 came along but not regularly) have these in common and I believe are source of trouble. All have installed QuickBooks 2011, all needed to print to QB PDF creator by Nuance, that does not work and causes QB app not responding. All are setup with same printers. So you would say " there you go!! QB 2011!" well not so quick. Removed it from 2 of the PCs no change in the issue.

What I'm experiencing now. W8.1, can not add remove Printers error > Print Spooler not running! I go to services etc. Print Spooler is Auto and running! I restart it or put on Manual it shows running but Add printer no go again. W7 machine - Devices Printers won't open (EVER!) besides that if I try to Right click any file / folder Windows Explorer Not Responding error. On this W7 is unusual there is A printer (Epson) being installed on other network that I go occasionally, both W8 sort of inherited the printer that doe not physically exist on their network group. And can not be removed or when I was lucky enough and had W8 Devices and Printers OK I removed it and it came back after while.  Also on W8 there are multiple printers showing of same model but can not be removed are not active. I mean printers I have on the network. And one more thing right now none of the active printers is default! And I can't make it default. Right click menu does not offer it! see attached. sorry not allowed attach just trust me.

Please, please Microsoft God (and smart people around the world) help. 

Friday, May 30, 2014 2:53 PM
  • I'm with you, zbojar, I've tried all of the so-called solutions but still cannot open Devices and Printers in any way, from the Start menu, from the Control Panel or as a new process, despite Bluetooth being automatically enabled and having run sfc (as an administrator). I can add printers, but I cannot delete them without recourse to this panel, so I am becoming very frustrated. And I cannot remember when it stopped working, so I cannot use System Restore to back-track to find out what upset the system.

So, if the MS God is listening, there are quite a number of us who would really appreciate a comprehensive (non-Bluetooth) solution to this problem.

Ian B

Wednesday, July 09, 2014 12:40 PM