none
"Something Happened - sorry we're having trouble determining if ypour PC can run Windows 8. Please close setup and try again"

Question

• I performed a clean install on my Laptop without error using my Technet Windows 8 x64.

I then restored my existing Windows 7 Ultimate x64 image and tried upgrading to Windows 8.  I got this error:

"Something Happened - sorry we're having trouble determining if ypour PC can run Windows 8.  Please close setup and try again"

This error occurs straight away before the compatibility report is created.

Has anyone got any ideas?

Many thanks.

Friday, September 07, 2012 7:24 PM

Answers

• Could you post back model and manufacturer of your PC?

It could be due to compatibility issue with some applications or drivers.

Also post this issue in your PC manufacturer's support website.

Is your Windows 7 PC updated and SP1 installed?

Saturday, September 08, 2012 2:02 PM

All replies

• Could you post back model and manufacturer of your PC?

It could be due to compatibility issue with some applications or drivers.

Also post this issue in your PC manufacturer's support website.

Is your Windows 7 PC updated and SP1 installed?

Saturday, September 08, 2012 2:02 PM
  • I got the same error when upgrading from windows 7. Called Microsoft support and they don't know the solution too, told me to call back in 2 hours
    Friday, October 26, 2012 8:51 PM
  • Hi

I have the same problem.  Did you get an answer from Microsoft?

Sunday, October 28, 2012 8:36 PM
  • I have the same problem with an older Dell.  Interestigly I only get this error when running the setup from the DVD.  If I run setup from the microsoft.com site as if I were going to buy it again the compatability checker runs without error and tells me I am good to go.  But since I have already purchased the DVD I do not want to buy it again.
    Saturday, November 03, 2012 3:26 AM
  • I am having exact same issue. Error msg comes during initial setup "Something happened. Sorry, we're having trouble determining if your PC can run Windows 8. Please close Setup and try again." re-occurs consistently. I am trying to install 32 bit version from purchased Windows 8 Pro CD. System is Dell DXP061, 3GB RAM, running Win XP Pro SP3. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks
    Saturday, November 03, 2012 8:12 PM