none
Vista Ultimate Update Lock-up

Question

• Can anyone help with Vista Update downloads preventing booting up Vista Ultimate.

Have been running Vista Ultimate (upgrade) for over a year with regular update downloads, with only minor teething problems, til last week when Vista locked on 'Configuring Updates/Shutting Down' cycle when booting up.

The screen display is:

'Configuring Updates : Stage 3 of 3 - 0% Completed'

followed (after approx 10 secs ) by 'Shutting down' being screened, and the computer shutting down.

Without going into detail, I have tried with the Vista installation disc to use both the 'Repair' and 'Install Now' options without success and had 2 long time-wasting phone calls to MS customer support - all without success.

Obviously, I wish to recover my previous version but would settle to re-install Vista Ultimate.

Monday, December 08, 2008 2:09 PM

Answers

• Hi Pete,

Please try the suggestions in the following article:

The update is not installed successfully, you receive a message, and the computer restarts when you try to install an update in Windows Vista

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949358

Hope it helps.

Tim Quan - MSFT

Wednesday, December 10, 2008 10:40 AM

All replies

• Hi Pete,

Please try the suggestions in the following article:

The update is not installed successfully, you receive a message, and the computer restarts when you try to install an update in Windows Vista

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949358

Hope it helps.

Tim Quan - MSFT

Wednesday, December 10, 2008 10:40 AM
  • Thanks Tim,

Great result in minutes, especially after knocking my head against the wall this past week.

Info for others in similar difficulties : Three methods were given to solve the Vista Ultimate lock-out, the last (Method 3) being the one that did the trick in my case.

A cautionary word of advice for anyone using Method 3 for the first time if you are using a partitioned drive. I discovered having Vista Ultimate installed on a partitioned drive (not C) that it is necessary to modify the Method 3 command statements (obvious of course!)  in accordance with the relevant drive letter which Vista is installed on.

Grateful Pete

Thursday, December 11, 2008 12:23 AM