none
Tablet Input Panel Blank for Keyboard

Question

•  

After installing XPSP3 on my Gateway E-155C tablet I lost the contents of the on screen keyboard.  When the system first starts or the laptop is locked, the displayed keyboard has an outline but there are no keys shown.  Likewise, when I call up the Input Panel and go to the keyboard entry mode, there are no keys displayed.  Is this a driver problem and, if so, which one and where can I get an updated version to fix this problem.
    Friday, May 30, 2008 3:34 PM

Answers

•  

Evening Walt

a few things to check.

Btw you did not post your systems specifications.

Which video card is listed in your device manager? *click on start, control panel, system, then device manager*

What version of your video card driver is listed?

During your post install of Sp3 did your system have any devices with an yellow exclimation mark next to it?

Panisonic, What speeds, memory, which recognition pack, any other software that might interfere with the install of Sp3 Anti-virus, anti-malware. Zone alaram, Anti-malware products prevent instllation of Sp3.

What errors were present in your event viewer?

c:\%windir%\svcpack.log file?

%windir\system32\Windowsupdate. log file?

Have to ask this isnt a x64 version of Tablet pc is it? have to ask.

Did your tablet pc have the latest bios available from your system manufactorer?

1 a) What are the settings in the regional and language panels?

b) Also please check the following settingsin the advance text services

Tablet PC Correction 
       Tablet PC Correction for Windows Journal 
       Tablet PC Text Insertion.

c) Next open up a command window by clicking on start, run, enter the letters "cmd" then enter.

navigate to the following folder

cd c:\program files\common files\microsoft shared\ink

regsvr32 inkobj.dll

It should put up a succeded text box click on ok.

d) Start the services.msc from start, run.

Since I am not as familiar with the tablet edition.

Start with the HID input,, RPC, windows installer. Make sure these are at least set to manual, Some will be started and automatic. There may be an extra servi

Then you may wish to restart.

If your system is still not recognizing this

2)  In Sp3 there is a debugger attached to dot net 1.1 sp1 it needs to be downloaded and re-isntalled.

Reboot and check your pen funcationality

3) Which driver are you using for your video card? Ati has a new catalyst 8.5 out that fixes many functional problems. Available from www.ati.amd.com And it is signed for Sp3, and even (possibly but unconfirmed) fixes rotation issues present in the past drivers.

There is a new 175.14 WHQL signed driver from nvidia. *of course this changes, almost daily*

4) If there still is a problem download and use the process explorer from sysinternals.com The TABBTNU.EXE may have required calls to addfitional portions of the software and may need to reregister something else. Or it is not inlucded in the path for execution of the tablet functions.

Sunday, June 01, 2008 3:29 AM
  • Thanks for all your good suggestions, 1stKnight.  My tablet is a corporate image and is always kept up to date.  Bios is current.  It is a 32 bit versions of XP Pro SP2.  After upgrading to SP3 there were no exclamations on any of the devices.  There were no events in the log.

I uninstalled SP3 and the input panel keyboard returned.  I can restall and check out your suggestions, none of which I did the first time.  Thanks for your help.

Tuesday, June 03, 2008 3:45 PM

All replies

•  

Evening Walt

a few things to check.

Btw you did not post your systems specifications.

Which video card is listed in your device manager? *click on start, control panel, system, then device manager*

What version of your video card driver is listed?

During your post install of Sp3 did your system have any devices with an yellow exclimation mark next to it?

Panisonic, What speeds, memory, which recognition pack, any other software that might interfere with the install of Sp3 Anti-virus, anti-malware. Zone alaram, Anti-malware products prevent instllation of Sp3.

What errors were present in your event viewer?

c:\%windir%\svcpack.log file?

%windir\system32\Windowsupdate. log file?

Have to ask this isnt a x64 version of Tablet pc is it? have to ask.

Did your tablet pc have the latest bios available from your system manufactorer?

1 a) What are the settings in the regional and language panels?

b) Also please check the following settingsin the advance text services

Tablet PC Correction 
       Tablet PC Correction for Windows Journal 
       Tablet PC Text Insertion.

c) Next open up a command window by clicking on start, run, enter the letters "cmd" then enter.

navigate to the following folder

cd c:\program files\common files\microsoft shared\ink

regsvr32 inkobj.dll

It should put up a succeded text box click on ok.

d) Start the services.msc from start, run.

Since I am not as familiar with the tablet edition.

Start with the HID input,, RPC, windows installer. Make sure these are at least set to manual, Some will be started and automatic. There may be an extra servi

Then you may wish to restart.

If your system is still not recognizing this

2)  In Sp3 there is a debugger attached to dot net 1.1 sp1 it needs to be downloaded and re-isntalled.

Reboot and check your pen funcationality

3) Which driver are you using for your video card? Ati has a new catalyst 8.5 out that fixes many functional problems. Available from www.ati.amd.com And it is signed for Sp3, and even (possibly but unconfirmed) fixes rotation issues present in the past drivers.

There is a new 175.14 WHQL signed driver from nvidia. *of course this changes, almost daily*

4) If there still is a problem download and use the process explorer from sysinternals.com The TABBTNU.EXE may have required calls to addfitional portions of the software and may need to reregister something else. Or it is not inlucded in the path for execution of the tablet functions.

Sunday, June 01, 2008 3:29 AM
  • Thanks for all your good suggestions, 1stKnight.  My tablet is a corporate image and is always kept up to date.  Bios is current.  It is a 32 bit versions of XP Pro SP2.  After upgrading to SP3 there were no exclamations on any of the devices.  There were no events in the log.

I uninstalled SP3 and the input panel keyboard returned.  I can restall and check out your suggestions, none of which I did the first time.  Thanks for your help.

Tuesday, June 03, 2008 3:45 PM
  • This too is happening on our Motion LE1700s...I'm curious if this has anything to do with the tcserver.exe memory leak that was patched in SP2...was that patch added to SP3?

Also, my application log shows the following error, which have been reported in prior OS versions as well...

Event Code: 1000....

"Faulting application taptip.exe, version 1.7.2600.2180, faulting module ntdll.dll, version 5.1.2600.5512; fault address 0x0000fe40"

TaskMgr shows that TapTip is still running...at least loaded...also TCServer pops in every now and then so it appears that services are running as expected.

Process Monitor shows TabTip trying, but eventually it calls faultrep.dll...not too consistent other than that.

Thoughts?  Note that while I could re-register InkObj.dll, many others in the same MS Shared/Ink directory could not be re-registered...of course, I'm assuming most have the DLL entry points for registration which may not be the case...

TIA for any suggestions...

Rob

Monday, September 29, 2008 8:31 PM
  • Same problem here after installing XP SP3.  Removed SP3 and problem is resolved.  Microsoft should test a SP better before releasing something with such a major bug.
    Saturday, October 11, 2008 3:18 PM
  • I can confirm the problem on a Toshiba M200. What an "upgrade".

Has anyone found a fix other than uninstalling SP3?

Many thanks,
    David.
    Monday, October 13, 2008 10:40 PM
  •  

I can confirm as well on a Lenovo x61.  With and image built off of XP SP3, the keyboard is just a blank blue box. Please tell me there is a fix for this somewhere, as SP3 is now our standard...
    Wednesday, December 10, 2008 8:06 PM
  • Has anyone found a resolution for this problem? I'm seeing it on a freshly installed tablet PC using the XPSP3 cd with the tablet CD...so I can't uninstall SP3...
    Wednesday, March 11, 2009 2:59 PM
  • Same problem here.  Acer TravelMate C300 series.  Immediately after upgrade to sp3, the tablet input panel stops working.  No warnings.

Went here:
    c:\program files\common files\microsoft shared\ink
    The file you mentioned is not there.
    Saturday, August 22, 2009 3:31 PM
  • Hey All
      Issues with the .net 1.1 are at fault here. First need to roll back any .net post 1.1 Sp1.
    Please visit Aaron Stebners blog site for dot net failed install clean up tool.
    http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2006/05/30/611355.aspx

Then install WSH 5.7, windows installer final 4.5.
    WSH
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=47809025-D896-482E-A0D6-524E7E844D81&displaylang=en
    Windows installer
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloadS/details.aspx?familyid=5A58B56F-60B6-4412-95B9-54D056D6F9F4&displaylang=en

If you have XP Pro install 1.0 SP3 available here
    http://www.microsoft...;displaylang=en

Then install the 1.1 sp1 available here.

Microsoft journal viewer may be needed. I do not have a reliable link for this, yet.

The microsoft recognizer pack available here.

Not required but adds functionality to the development process
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=884012E7-DD97-4DBC-BF79-68CE8EE2B590&displaylang=en

Thanks to this link here if you still have problems try the following items. (Not an advertisement or endorsement just crediting the source.)
    http://www.wincert.net/forum/index.php?/topic/5023-tablet-pc-input-panel-for-xp-pro-home-mce-installer-and-uninstallable/

Also please go to Control Panel -> “Regional and Language Options” applet then make sure you have:
    - Enabled Xp Language Bar setting
    - Checked “Extend support of advanced text services to all programs” and
    - Unchecked “Turn off advanced text services”
    - Then restart your computer

Please remember after installing .net the service will take some time to optimize the source code to your processor. Allow for some time to compile.

Index for downloading dot net
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/results.aspx?freetext=dot+net+install&displaylang=en&stype=s_basic

And please as always if you find this helpfull or have additional questions. Please post back your results or post back results!

Keith
    Friday, August 28, 2009 1:24 AM
  • Hi all,

I realize that I am adding on to a somewhat ancient thread.  However, I tried everything above (including at www.wincert.net), and in the end I wound up with no Tablet PC Input Panel (TIP) at all, so I used System Restore and went back to before I started trying all this stuff.

I have a somewhat older xplore iX104 slate tablet PC that was specifically built to run on XP Tablet Edition.  I've fooled around with it over the years, and recently figured that I ought to do a clean install as a precondition to getting it set up with just what I now know I want on it.  So, I installed the OEM version of Windows XP Professional Tablet PC Edition 2005.  The TIP worked fine.  Then, on to the upgrades.  I installed XP Service Pack 1a.  The TIP worked fine.  Then I installed SP3, and the TIP is now "broken."  Before finishing boot-up, the TIP shows an on-screen keyboard (OSK) so that you can enter your password if you have set up a log-in password.  All I see now, instead of the OSK, is an empty blue rectangle.  After boot-up, I still see the TIP icon in the Task Bar, and hovering the stylus over it still gets me a little name-tag that says "Tablet PC Input Panel."  However, if I tap on it, instead of the TIP I get two error messages, as follows:

AppName: tabtip.exe [the TIP application]      AppVer: 1.7.2600.5512   ModName: ntdll.dll    ModVer: 5.1.2600.5512      Offset:0000fe40

and

AppName: tabtip.exe       AppVer: 1.7.2600.5512   ModName: kernel32.dll    ModVer: 5.1.2600.5512      Offset:00012aeb

Elsewhere in my installation I came up with errors where the software was having trouble with .dlls, even if they were present.  Registering the .dlls with regsvr32 usually took care of that.  Assuming that I was facing the same sort of problem, I tried registering ntdll.dll and kernel32.dll as well.  What I got were new error messages: "ntdll.dll (or kernel32.dll) was loaded, but the DLLRegisterServer entry point was not found.  This file can not be registered."

So - I don't know if the inability to register them after installing SP3 is the problem, or if it might be something different involving them.  There are two copies of these .dlls, one each in \system32\ and in ServicePackFiles\i386, but the version numbers are the same.  As I mentioned above, I tried everything in Keith's post and the stuff at www.wincert.net, but none of it worked for me.  Any idea what would actually work here?

Kim

Sunday, August 21, 2011 3:43 PM