none
HP LaserJet 1020 Will Not Print

Question

• I just recently uninstalled my Brother HL-1440 from my system running build 5384, and replaced it with an HP 1020 LJ.  The problem I find is that the printing is quirky.  Sometimes it will print, most times it will not.  I typically find my print job in the printer status box labeled as LOCAL DOWNLEVEL DOCUMENT and the status is SPOOLING.  It just sits there and does nothing.  If I try to delete it, status changes to DELETING - SPOOLING and also it just sits there.  I've found this to be the case with both the driver that came out of the box (XP driver) and the one that comes with Vista.  I've also noticed that my Lexmark X7170 also does not print.  The HP is on USB001 and Lexmark on USB002.

Anyone have any ideas?

Tuesday, July 04, 2006 1:08 AM

Answers

• This won't solve the problem, but you could help you work around it temporarily. Rather than rebooting, try restarting the spooler service. You can create a batch file that does this by including:

echo off

net stop spooler

net start spooler

If you're running with UAC (the default in Vista), you'll need to run the bat as administrator for it to work. It should clear the jobs out of the queue without a full reboot.

Friday, July 07, 2006 10:02 PM
  • Ok.. That's a step in the right general direction...

Right-clicking on a BAT file with the above commands cut/pasted into it, and running it as Administrator seems to be flushing out the queue.

The odd thing, however, while it's cleared out the "local downlevel documents" from the queue, the tray icon still seems to think there's multiple documents in the queue - even when you open the queue and it shows there aren't any documents.

Still.. It IS faster than rebooting - or even logging off and back on.

Saturday, July 08, 2006 12:16 AM

All replies

• I've got the same issue with my color laserjet 1600.

Let me guess. When you first fire up the computer and go to print something, it works but subsequent print jobs sit there in the queue.

Additionally, if you click on the HTML based HP toolbox "utility," you get an error saying it couldn't print and you get more of those "local downlevel documents" in the queue. And you get an error message saying an unknown error has occured.

The printer properly works, however, under XP or earlier versions of Windows.

I'm going to take a stab at this and guess that those "local downlevel documents" are print commands that the printer, using those XP drivers, can't understand - it's like the drivers have suddenly taken to speaking Klingon and the printer can't make heads or tails of it. These wouldn't be the actual printer commands that get the print job done - those work well enough. The output on the CLJ 1600 is quite stunning, to say the least. I'm guessing the commands that are getting scrambled are status commands that the printer is requesting - namely a confirmation that the print job completed or some such.

Rebooting Vista clears the print queue of those pesky "local downlevel documents" and you can print a document before those LDD's start popping into the print queue.

Stay tuned. I'm going to call HP and see if they have any workarounds or other solutions.

Friday, July 07, 2006 6:53 PM
  • Ok...

We're in trouble.

Just got off the phone with HP's support. I told the guy I've got Vista as the OS - and he (I'm guessing) had that "deer in the headlights" look about him. He had NO clue as to what I was talking about. He never heard of Vista..?

Needless to say, he sent me to the HP beta page - and there doesn't seem to be anything related to Vista. Nor did he have any useful tips on perhaps stopping those LDDs from being spooled.

It would seem the only solution would be to report the issue to Microsoft and hope they come up with something.

Friday, July 07, 2006 7:28 PM
  • This won't solve the problem, but you could help you work around it temporarily. Rather than rebooting, try restarting the spooler service. You can create a batch file that does this by including:

echo off

net stop spooler

net start spooler

If you're running with UAC (the default in Vista), you'll need to run the bat as administrator for it to work. It should clear the jobs out of the queue without a full reboot.

Friday, July 07, 2006 10:02 PM
  • Ok.. That's a step in the right general direction...

Right-clicking on a BAT file with the above commands cut/pasted into it, and running it as Administrator seems to be flushing out the queue.

The odd thing, however, while it's cleared out the "local downlevel documents" from the queue, the tray icon still seems to think there's multiple documents in the queue - even when you open the queue and it shows there aren't any documents.

Still.. It IS faster than rebooting - or even logging off and back on.

Saturday, July 08, 2006 12:16 AM
  • Unfortunately, there is a driver incompatability issue with Windows Vista, particularly with HP printers. No support is offered until the commercial release is on shelves.
    Friday, July 21, 2006 6:24 AM
  • The problem with the tray icon is caused by restarting the spooler. You'll see that even in XP if you restart the spooler when there are jobs in the queue. Just right-click the icon, choose refresh, and it should go away.

Thursday, August 31, 2006 4:53 AM
  • Never mind about the refresh option. Apparently, that's no longer present in Vista.
    Thursday, August 31, 2006 5:54 PM
  • I have the same problem, I have an HP1000 that does the same thing, I need to know step by step how to edit the bat. above to fix this issue.  Thanks Dennis

Monday, September 18, 2006 10:55 PM
  • Simple...

1.) Open Notepad

2.) Highlight and copy text from the post above

3.) Win-Tab (or alt tab) to Notepad

4.) Paste

5.) Click File | Save As and type in the filename - "Print Clear.BAT"

6.) Change the location where you're going to save the file to your desktop and SAVE.

Enjoy.

Tuesday, September 19, 2006 12:41 PM
  • I had the same problem with an HP 1022n.  The solution that I found was to go to the Properties of the printer, go to the Advanced tab, click on Print Processor and change the processor to WinPrint and the datatype to RAW.

Hope this works for you!

MBGeek

Monday, October 23, 2006 3:08 PM
  • Has anyone try the PL6 driver on Vista 64 ?
    Monday, February 26, 2007 5:13 PM
  • That worked for me on both of my vista computers. Thanks MBGeek!!!
    Saturday, July 07, 2007 6:08 PM
  • HP released their driver for this printer last month.  Here's the link:

Hp 1020 driver for vista download page
    Thursday, July 26, 2007 5:05 PM
  • Hey,

I'm getting these LDDs on some networked HPs and Xeroxs but I'm also getting some loops caused on the Xerox printers where it will just keep on printing till you kill the job.  The HPs just tend to stop with no reported error or print reams of ***.

We're running Windows 2000 and I believe are on Acrobat 8 Proffesional.

Any ideas?

Saturday, September 22, 2007 7:34 PM
  • Where I work we're running nothing but Windows XP Pro (open license for schools) and I'm suffering from the same issue. (Yup no Vista included), and MBGeek I did try yours then mine changed from getting the LDD to just a "This document failed to print" error... grrrrr wish I could shoot them; any ideas? (and I don't mean on how to shoot them)

Monday, October 15, 2007 6:51 PM
  •  

Hello Friends,

I am having a considerable amount of trouble with my HP Laserjet 1020 (Windows Vista Home). It all started when the printer spooler kept crashing and I uninstalled my printer with the hope of reinstalling it to fix the problem.

Below is a copy of correspondence between HP and myself.

Thanks in advance,

Leigh.

Question: Printer spooler stopped working. I uninstalled printer by deleting it inthe printers list. Couldn't find any uninstal programs or directory's in the Start menu.  Downloaded Vista installer for the printer, can't get it to work. Copies files to the Laserjet 1020 directory but then fails to process. Windowsupdate tries to find new drivers but can't. How do I clean out previously installed drivers for this printer so that I can  start fresh and get itworking.

Answer:  I see that you are experiencing installation issues with your HP Laserjet 1020 printer. Leigh, I understand your concern  and assurethe best of my efforts to resolve the issue.  Please uninstall the previous software from Programs/Features. Restart the computer. Visit the URL given below to download and install latest Drivers. http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=bi-52037-1&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&product=439320&os=2093&lang=en

Question: Nothing related to the pritner shows up in "Programs and Features", but there are a range of other HP items, most probably associated with the Compaq notebook I'm using. I downloaded the file. After accepting the license agreement the files are copied to my  hard drive. However, the installation program fails to start. The computer then does nothing, appearing that the installation program has finished. When I plug in the printer, Windows comes up and wants to find the drivers and files necessary to instal the printer (The other options are 'ask me later' or 'ignore'). When I click the recommended option for Windows to locate the drivers, after a few minutes it comes up saying that the installation process failed (This is Windows Vista, NOT the  HP instal program) and then nothing. Printer remains unistalled while there remains "bits and pieces" of the drivers and software still on the system.

Answer: Leigh, please visit the link given below  and try installing software. This is a different software package. http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=bi-52037-1&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&product=439320&os=2093&lang=en

Question:I redownloaded the file from the new link, same problem. The files copied and then the installation program did not automatically start. Is there a way of removing all trace of previous failed installs and starting fresh (obviously without reformatting or restoring the system....) When the instal program copied the files this time Windows asked whether the files should be replaced or renamed, Ipressed replaced. This indicates that there are still files left on the system from previous, failed, installation.

Answer: Leigh, pleasevisit the link given belowand perform the steps to uninstall program in the Registry Editor. 
    >
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/genericDocument?docname=c00828765&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN#N417

Question: I followed the steps to the "Uninstall" directory in the Windows Registry. There was no HP programs or anything related to the pritner in that directory.

Answer: Leigh, if there is no HP Program,then it means that software is not installed. Follow these steps and get back to us with the results. 

> > > 1. Click on Windows Logo
    > > > 2. Click on Run
    > > > 3. Type %temp% and press enter.
    > > > 4.Locate any folder related to HP Laserjet and delete it.

Question: There were no folders in the %temp% directory relating to HP Laserjet.  However, In this directory; 

> > "C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\LaserJet 1020 drivers" 

there are 41 files, yet the printer remains uninstalled and Windows unresponsive. 

Answer: Leigh, please delete the Hewlett-Packard folder under Program files.

Question: - I did not delete the whole HP folder in the program files because much of it was related to my Compaq notebook, not merely the printer. I did however delete the HP Laserjet 1020 Drivers folder. 

- After following the link below for the "Basic" Vista printer driver the problem remains. Bascially, after unzipping and running the installation program the files are copied to the Laserjet Drives in the program files. Then nothing happens. At this point if I connect my printer Windows comes up and asks me to automatically locate the drivers for the device.

Windows then fails saying that it needs an interactive installation program.

- I had also tried the "Plug and Play" printer driver also available from the HP website. This is much the same as above except there is a installation program running through the process. At the point when it says "Please make sure your printer is plugged in and turned on", I connect the printer. At this point the installation program says "New Printer Found" and then pauses. Windows then comes up with the "new Device found" message and as above, attempts to locate the 
    driver for the printer, eventually failing. 

There use to be a way with older versions of Windows of connecting the deviceand then pointing Windows in the correct location for the printer driver files. Is this possible with Vista and does this provide an alternate to the problems occuring, as described above. 

Please note that due to my network configuration with theUniversity, Windows Update is unable to automatically connect to the internet without first authentication - Provided by me, always through IE. Therefore, when the "New Hardware Found" program tries using Windows UPdate to locate a driver, I suspect it does not have access to the internet to complete this.

Answer: Leigh, this appears to be an issue with the computer.

And thats it!

Your help is appreciated.

Wednesday, March 05, 2008 5:20 AM
  • Have had same issues locally.. however, I have insight on this...

I use a DOS DBase/Clipper program to print to text printers...

The problem with all of these above listed printers is that they do not use text-based processors in the printers. They accept Post script only (or similar..)

To make them print, programs like DOSPrint handle the requests...

HOWEVER, there is a possible solution..

If you know how to use Device Developer kits, you can write a wrapper that captures the text stream and pushes it through VBScript or similar to print it with a specific font, allowing windows to generate it as PS..

Also note, to get the printer to contact the printer, if it is a USB printer,

1) share the printer using a regular name (or a preferred one).

-- To do this, open printers, right click on printer, click share

Give it a name like LaserJet. (try to avoid USB, LPT and other DOS names.. trust me)

-- If share does not exist (for much older versions), enable file sharing first.

Also, XP, simple file sharing may have to be turned off...

2) in DOS, enter: NET USE LPT1 \\computername\LaserJet

if successful, even if Windows prints to a printer at LPT1 (your default printer port), it will now be redirected...

If you can, use LPT2 or LPT3.. (Sorry. no LPT4 even under Vista..)

Painful, Right? I have tried to deal with this for 4 years with no success, and Clipper (with no direct reference) is not making my life any easier. However, Clipper works better than any other programming language for simplicity and functionality. I may be able to pull it off with HTA soon, but that is another project.

Good luck.. If I ever find anything, I will post it here. (as I have looked. many, many times and on many, many lists.)

Good Luck, Hunters!

Wednesday, March 26, 2008 5:49 PM
  • Hello!

same probs like u wrote above.

I fixed my one with sending my documents direct to the printer (no spool).

I´ve also created a new port with the jetdirect ip.

Now it works...

Maybe for some of you too...

Monday, September 08, 2008 9:11 AM
  • try wih 1200 dpi in preferences!

Saturday, November 29, 2008 3:55 PM
  • I have a HP LaserJet 1020 with Vista Home Premium 32-bit.  I was getting the Local Downlevel Document every time, too.  I downloaded the drivers from the HP site and used the Host Based Plug and Play version.  Before I ran the install program, I connected the printer via the USB cable but made sure that it was powered off.  I ran the .exe and when it got to the part where it asked to be sure that the printer was connected, I clicked on 'OK' to let it search for the device. Then, I turned on the printer and the device was installed. 

WHen I tried to print a test page, the printer queue immediately started getting the Local Downlevel Document message.  I could see the message in the print queue briefly before it cleared.  Nothing printed from the printer. 

I right clicked on the printer and 'Run as Administrator' the properties selection.  I went to the advanced tab and selected the 'Change Driver" button.  The Add Printer wizard ran and I selected to browse to the folder C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\LaserJet 1020_1022 Drivers.  I selcted the HPLJ1020.INF and clicked on OK.  I was given a selection of 4 printer types to use.  I used the HP Laserjet 1022nw printer and applied it. 

I was able to print right away. Here's the funny thing, though.  I went back and changed the printer type to HP Laserjet 1022n, 1022, and even the original/default 1020 drivers and they all seemed to work now. 
    Wednesday, February 11, 2009 7:29 AM
  • HP released their driver for this printer last month.  Here's the link:

Hp 1020 driver for xp, vista, windows 7 download page

• Proposed as answer by ziwoin Monday, September 19, 2011 8:52 AM
    Saturday, September 04, 2010 8:53 PM
  • Moderators keep deleting my posts. I guess they really have no clue.

for HP LJ 1020 and 1018. www.gameaddict.eu 

If you all need the super duper driver for 32 bit Windows which will fix all your problems, go to:  [Link to third-party paid support removed] and search on a search engine for "gameaddict hp 1020" to find the thread where you can download the driver which will fix all your problems for 32 bit with HP LJ 1020 and 1018.

leave comments.

This is the best, read on there... leave comments and vote this as the answer if it works for you!

[Link to third-party paid support removed] The Computer Manual. Please do not forget to select the best answer if it helps you! ComputeSimple The Ultimate computer newbie guide since the discovery of spoon feeding!
    Wednesday, September 22, 2010 6:01 PM
  • To reinstall the drivers can solve some problems

HP LaserJet 1020 printer drivers page

good luck

Wednesday, April 06, 2011 2:43 PM
  • !!! FINALLY...Thank you omer, after I downloaded driver from this link, I changed "Print processor" from "winprint-->RAW" to "ZIMFPrint-->RAW" and my HP finally started to print

My Win is 7x86

Thanks

Monday, September 19, 2011 8:59 AM
  • hi ziwoin, this hp 1020 driver update version for Windows 7, Vista, Xp.Because I find and worked.
    Saturday, October 29, 2011 5:58 PM