none
Windows 7 64bit Sleep Mode Issue - multi-proceesor XPS 435mt

Question

• Had this coming out of sleep mode problem under Vista 64bit...did a clean install of Windows 7 Pro on new HDD; thinking maybe the issue would go away. NO! the coming out of sleep mode problem is still there. BIOS and drivers are up-to-date; as is Windows Updates. Have double-check all power settings.

A firend of mine thinks that Microsoft has a HOTFIX for this problem. If so, where and how do I get this HOTFIX?

Thanks for any help on this issue...

Friday, October 14, 2011 12:45 AM

Answers

• This problem has been resolved...it was the PSU...installed new PSU and problem is gone. Hopefully for good, I depend upon sleep mode.
    • Marked as answer by nkqx57a Thursday, December 08, 2011 3:52 PM
    Thursday, December 08, 2011 3:52 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I would like to verify if the computer cannot wake up from sleep.

Generally, the issue is caused by incompatible video card or display card driver. Please make sure all drivers come from manufacture's site. Then, please open an elevated command window, type the following command to show which device can wake up computer.

powercfg -devicequery wake_armed

In addition, please check the following device's configuration of Power Management.

1. Go to Device Manager, under network adapters, double click your Ethernet.

2. On Power Management, enable Allow this device to wake the computer.

3. Also find Mouse device and enable Allow this device to wake the computer.

If the issue persists, please try the device clean boot.

1. Go to Device Manager

2. Expand "Sound, video and game controllers".

3. Right Click on Audio device and choose disable.

4. Please use the same method to disable other dubious hardware such as: internal modem, and CD-R drive. Please note some devices such as video adapter are not available to be disabled.

5. After that, restart the computer and then test the issue. If it does not occur, you can enable the device one by one to narrow down this issue.

After you found the device that causing the problem, you can resolve by installing last driver or replacing the device.

Best Regards,

Niki

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Monday, October 17, 2011 9:36 AM
  • I did as requested…powercfg  -devicequery indicates that 6 devices are available for wake, including mouse and keyboard. I checked the power management again for allow this device to wake the computer, all properly set.

Disabled all items found in “sound, video and game controllers”. Used msconfig to disable all non-Microsoft services and disabled all startup applications (although ZoneAlarm will not disable). Re-booted system…system entered sleep mode as usual (blinking system light), this morning the system light was solid and the system would NOT wake by pressing keyboard, moving mouse, or pressing power button (just as before). Had to power down unplug, wait a few minutes plug-in and power on to get the system to boot-up.

It surely seems like the ATI Radeon HD 4800 Series adapter maybe the problem, its drivers are up-to-date. In fact all drivers have been updated via manufacture’s web site.

So where do I go from HERE?

Thanks for the help on this issue, it really has me stupped!

Neal

Tuesday, October 18, 2011 2:52 PM
  • Hi,

I wonder how you make the computer sleep? Using power option settings or using the button on keyboard?

If you are using keyboard button, it could be hibernation. Only the power button can wake up hibernation. Also, please open an elevated command prompt, type the following command.

Powercfg –h off

Best Regards,

Niki

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Wednesday, October 19, 2011 9:45 AM
  • Niki, thanks for assistance. I was on the phone with Microsoft R&D last night...its seems the problem was resolved by Troubleshoot problems waking computer from sleep mode, read the following…KB266283, 928631, 871233, 929577. You should have the latest SP and have drivers up-to-date.

I was having problems coming out of sleep mode…keyboard and mouse would not wake the computer. After making the suggested registry changes, my sleep mode problem went away.

Running WIN7 now, but the problem started under Vista. Did a clean install of WIN7 on new HDD and the sleep mode problem was back. Currently, the problem is gone and the system is looking good and acting the way it should; after making the suggested registry changes found in these KB articles. But I am still checking it out.

• Marked as answer by nkqx57a Wednesday, October 19, 2011 6:31 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by nkqx57a Thursday, October 27, 2011 2:29 AM
    • Marked as answer by nkqx57a Wednesday, December 07, 2011 9:32 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by nkqx57a Wednesday, December 07, 2011 9:35 PM
    Wednesday, October 19, 2011 6:30 PM
  • Sorry...but after checking it out, these changes did nothing to solve the coming out of sleep mode issue.
    Thursday, October 27, 2011 2:31 AM

• Coming out of sleep mode problem is still a problem. I believe this issue is caused by the ATI Radeon HD 4800 Series Card or its drivers; or could the problem be with a Windows7 update? The system goes into sleep mode normally, but the keyboard or mouse appears to wake the computer. However, the monitor remains blank...power off, it never wakes from sleep (so I do not really know what the system is doing; other than the system light goes from blinking to steady). Maybe the monitor is not getting any wake-up notice or signal from the Radeon Card. I just do not know...any ideas??

Monday, October 31, 2011 4:35 AM
  • Changed power setting from S3 to S1, it that seems to be working. What is the difference between S1 and S3?
    • Marked as answer by Niki HanModerator Monday, November 14, 2011 9:56 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by nkqx57a Wednesday, December 07, 2011 9:32 PM
    Friday, November 11, 2011 4:32 PM
  • S0 (Working) is lit. The CPU functions in entirety; the conservation of power is on a basis of by-device.

S1 (Sleep). The CPU is stopped; The RAM is regenerated; the system functions in reduced power.

S2 (Sleep 2) The CPU does not have any power; The RAM is regenerated; the system is in lower mode of the S1.

S3 (Standby) The CPU does not have any power; The RAM regenerates at minimum; the power supply unit is in mode of reduced power. This mode is also called "Save to RAM".

S4 (Hibernate). All is powered off, but the memory was saved like temporary file on the hard drive. This mode is called "Save to disk".

S5 (Off) Everything is shutdown. Means you need a full reboot.

S3 is the best. It uses less power and reboots faster.

Best Regards,

Niki

Monday, November 14, 2011 9:56 AM
  • This sleep mode issue I am having with my Dell Studio XPS 435mt is not new, review this link>>

http://www.ehow.com/how_4812128_sleep-mode-problems-dell-computer.html

Really do not understand...sleep mode worked, then after a couple of years and Microsoft updates it stopped working under Vista...upgraded to WIN7 and sleep mode still does not work.

So, what should or can I do now?

Thanks,

Neal

Friday, November 25, 2011 8:36 PM
  • This problem has been resolved...it was the PSU...installed new PSU and problem is gone. Hopefully for good, I depend upon sleep mode.
    • Marked as answer by nkqx57a Thursday, December 08, 2011 3:52 PM
    Thursday, December 08, 2011 3:52 PM