none
amd sata controller has no channel option hp g62 notbook windows 7 64-bit

Question

• i am trying to  check my DMA (Direct memory access to see if that is why my DVD drive stopped working)  However, according to HELP i should see "channel" and when i go to DEVICE MANAGER>IDE ATA/ATAPI controller>AMD SATA controller there is no tab or word showing channel.  likewise, in properties resource tab DMA is not listed. 

does anyone know if this paticular controller does not support DMA?

robydehls@hotmail.com

Sunday, February 19, 2012 5:56 AM

Answers

• This is a Microsoft website forum for information about the Windows 7 operating system.

For information about HP hardware, you need to go to www.hp.com and obtain the technical documentation for your system, or caontact HP Technical Support.  Technical information for HP hardware is not maintained on this website.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

Sunday, February 19, 2012 1:44 PM
  • This might have better gone in the "hardware" forum.

("G62" isn't much of an identifier for an HP laptop. There are dozens of G62 models out there. Some use Intel CPUs, some AMD.)

The check suggested by Windows Help is worth doing. I have had drives fall back to PIO mode when there were hardware issues. (The drives still worked, but not well.)

I checked my old Compaq CQ50-105NR, which has an AMD CPU and an nVidia chipset. The ATA channels appear in Device Manager, and show DMA 5 or 6 for the optical drive or HD. (The laptop has been running Windows 7 for more than 2 years, although it has been on X64 for less than two months.)

If HP has chipset drivers available for your model, you could try installing them again. Windows 7 has good driver support, but it doesn't include everything.

Perhaps HP support will have advice. I hope that it's not to re-install the OS.

Good luck.

Sunday, February 19, 2012 5:35 PM

All replies

• This is a Microsoft website forum for information about the Windows 7 operating system.

For information about HP hardware, you need to go to www.hp.com and obtain the technical documentation for your system, or caontact HP Technical Support.  Technical information for HP hardware is not maintained on this website.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

Sunday, February 19, 2012 1:44 PM
  • This might have better gone in the "hardware" forum.

("G62" isn't much of an identifier for an HP laptop. There are dozens of G62 models out there. Some use Intel CPUs, some AMD.)

The check suggested by Windows Help is worth doing. I have had drives fall back to PIO mode when there were hardware issues. (The drives still worked, but not well.)

I checked my old Compaq CQ50-105NR, which has an AMD CPU and an nVidia chipset. The ATA channels appear in Device Manager, and show DMA 5 or 6 for the optical drive or HD. (The laptop has been running Windows 7 for more than 2 years, although it has been on X64 for less than two months.)

If HP has chipset drivers available for your model, you could try installing them again. Windows 7 has good driver support, but it doesn't include everything.

Perhaps HP support will have advice. I hope that it's not to re-install the OS.

Good luck.

Sunday, February 19, 2012 5:35 PM