none
Backup system without admin rights

Question

• Hi,

I am new on an IT and my admin want I found how an user could backup the system without has admin rights.

I saw in the GPO but didn't find what I want.

Could u explain to me the way to do it ?

Thanks in advance and sorry for my english I am a french user.

See u,

Yaddle

• Changed type yaddle Thursday, May 26, 2011 1:42 PM
    Tuesday, May 24, 2011 2:53 PM

All replies

• As far as I know, there is no such option to enable a normal user account to run Windows Backup.

Kind regards,

Stephan Schwarz.

If you one of these posts answered your question or issue, please click on "Mark as answer". If a post contained helpfull information, please be so kind to click on the "Vote as helpful" button :)
    Tuesday, May 24, 2011 3:54 PM
  • Stephan is correct there is no way for a user that is a standard user to run backup operations.  That user would have to be added to the Backup Operators local group for their computer.

You can do this with a GPO.  However, a problem arises if you want to add each user to there own machine this would have to be done manually or with a lot of GPO's depending on your user size.

Now what you can do is build a GPO that has a secuirty group filter.  Place the users that you want to have Backup Operators rights in a security group and add that group to the GPO.  Do note that this will allow any users in the security group to do backup operations on any machine this GPO applies to.

The settings in GPO you are looking for are the "Backup files and directories" and "Restore files and directories" settings.  These can be found under Computer Config\Windows Settings\Security Settings\Local Policies\User Rights Assignment\

Sean

MCTS: Windows 7
    Tuesday, May 24, 2011 4:33 PM
  • Thanks for your answers.

I will test your method Sean tomorrow, and I will come back here to  give u some news.

Thx again, and good evening.

Yaddle

Tuesday, May 24, 2011 7:24 PM
  • In addition to what others replied, you may consider using third party enterprise backup solution. Such solutions usually install an agent service on client machines. The agent service authenticates with administrator privileges. However, the password of that agent service is unknown to the end user. The agent service then performs scheduled backups, usually across the network. Some players in backup solutio business are Acronis and Symantec.

Wednesday, May 25, 2011 6:29 AM
  • Hi there,

I come back for news,

I had put my user in the "Backup Operators Group" with the 2 GPO : "Backup and Restore", and to be sure I give this 2 GPO to the user too.

But always the same matter, when i want to start the backup, I need admin rights.

My Applocker is disabled.

Thanks Les52, but my admin want a 100% Microsoft solution ;) and don't want to have to install other software in the domain.

So, have u others ideas ?

Thanks in advance,

Yaddle

Wednesday, May 25, 2011 9:02 AM
  • Yaddle,

So you put the user in the Backup Operators Group and created a GPO?

The "Backup Operators Group" already has access to do backups.  If you placed the user in that group on the local box then after a reboot they should then have the ability to backup the system.  If you added the backup operators group to a GPO with the settings I stated earlier that wont solve the issue.

Let me know so we can get you a solution.

Sean

Wednesday, May 25, 2011 5:46 PM
  • Hi Sean,

Thanks for your help.

In fact my matter is that the members of "Backup Operators Group" can't do backup, and I test it in a new pc with fresh install and it's the same matter.

Do u know what could block the rights of Backup Operators ? or others things to have the rights on the backup

Thanks,

Yaddle

Thursday, May 26, 2011 7:12 AM
  • SID: S-1-5-32-551
    Name: Backup Operators
    Description: A built-in group. By default, the group has no members. Backup Operators can back up and restore all files on a computer, regardless of the permissions that protect those files. Backup Operators also can log on to the computer and shut it down.

Whether members of that group can run backup depends on the files you back up, and the backup location.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Thursday, May 26, 2011 7:40 AM
  • Hi Arthur,

I don't understand what you explain sorry :

first, in your description it's write that members of backup operators can back up and restore all files regardless of the permissions.

And after u say that it depends of the files i want back up and the location.

It's a contradiction, isn'it ?

Thanks

Thursday, May 26, 2011 1:42 PM
  • Yaddle,

The freash build you tested the "Backup Operators group" on was it a manual build no answer file no deployment?  If the machine was built fresh from a Microsoft disk and no answer file the "Backup Operators group" should have full permissions to backup data. 

Sean

Thursday, May 26, 2011 11:36 PM
  • Hi Sean,

Yes, the freash build is a manual install done by Dell (in a dell's pc), no answer file and deployment were used and the "Backup Operators group" don't work.

It's a mystery :/

I can do the backup with a batch and the use of "SuperExec" to give the admin rights to the .bat, but i need a cleaner way to do the job and to deploy it on the domain. (a solution more microsoft ;))

Thanks all for your help.

Yaddle

Friday, May 27, 2011 7:19 AM
  • Hi Sean,

Yes, the freash build is a manual install done by Dell (in a dell's pc), no answer file and deployment were used and the "Backup Operators group" don't work.

It's a mystery :/

I can do the backup with a batch and the use of "SuperExec" to give the admin rights to the .bat, but i need a cleaner way to do the job and to deploy it on the domain. (a solution more microsoft ;))

Thanks all for your help.

Yaddle

Friday, May 27, 2011 1:28 PM
  • I am having the same issue. I have followed the same steps here and even after trying a fresh image on a HP Elitebook i still get the message that local accounts that i create cannot do this without admin rights even when placed in the Backup Operators group.
    Tuesday, May 01, 2012 7:43 PM
  • same problem - no matter who is added to backup operators group, add file hash to secpol.msc for applocker/executable rules, nothing changes the user being prompted by uac to enter admin credentials.

bad form microsoft. in an enterprise where you have users who dont or cant always save their files to the server not allowing them to be able to backup their own files is just bad form. i'm ready to go mac believe you me.

Friday, September 14, 2012 12:48 AM