none
Physical Memory Limits: Windows 7

General discussion

• why windows 7 profrsional 32bit only use 2.76 gb of memory instead of 4gb that are curently installed in any machine that supports more than 2,76?

the folowing info are from :

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa366778(VS.85).aspx#physical_memory_limits_windows_7

The following table specifies the limits on physical memory for Windows 7.

VersionLimit in 32-bit WindowsLimit in 64-bit Windows
    Windows 7 Ultimate

4 GB

192 GB

Windows 7 Enterprise

4 GB

192 GB

Windows 7 Professional

4 GB

192 GB

Windows 7 Home Premium

4 GB

16 GB

Windows 7 Home Basic

4 GB

8 GB

Windows 7 Starter

2 GB

2 GB

there are many "paches" all over tne net that claim to resolve the issue

Monday, February 01, 2010 1:13 PM

All replies

• Its not an OS problem but more a Chipset/Motherboard one
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929605

MVP Setup and Deployment - http://www.forum-microsoft.org
    • Proposed as answer by KazerMVP Monday, February 01, 2010 4:47 PM
    Monday, February 01, 2010 4:46 PM
  • I would prefer if 64-bit Windows would be like Linux and see 18EB of memory. This limitation is very artificial. This is why I scream my lungs out at the limitations all the time.

As for the 32-bit version of Windows, I abandoned them so long ago its hard to remember using them.

Workstation video cards have 4GB of them, so a 32-bit OS cannot seen anything. Beside that, RAM is so cheap today, that 8 GB is chump change.

My AMD CPU can see up to 8GB sticks which is what the JEDEC spec is for DDR2, DDR3 caps out at 16GB sticks, which is another limitation I loath. Why not support 256GB sticks and support double ranked memory for uppity machines.

JEDEC knows me, I have screamed at them too. I suggest DS DR memory as the standard, so 16GB can be made today for chump change if there was more competition. You need 32 chips to make it with 512MB semiconductors.

See the problem, this is why I am so incensed.

Vote if answered or helpful, I am running for Office (joke)! IT/Developer, Windows/Linux/Mainframe RaidMax Smilodon, 680W, Asus M2NBP-VM CSM AMD X2 4200+, 2GB DDR2-800, x600, more details on my site, need a video card for the Windows machine, the 8600 GT fried
    Monday, February 01, 2010 11:58 PM
  • Hi,

This is a nice blog post about memory limits. Pls take a look at it!

Tuesday, February 02, 2010 12:08 AM
  • See my rant here .
    Vote if answered or helpful, I am running for Office (joke)! IT/Developer, Windows/Linux/Mainframe RaidMax Smilodon, 680W, Asus M2NBP-VM CSM AMD X2 4200+, 2GB DDR2-800, x600, more details on my site, need a video card for the Windows machine, the 8600 GT fried
    Tuesday, February 02, 2010 12:17 AM
  • Yeah, like you're ever really going to outfit a workstation with more than 192 GB of RAM, or you could think of an application that needs it.

That said, I use Ultimate so that I am not subject to the lesser limitations.

How better to differentiate editions of software than to limit the resources they can manage?

-Noel
    Tuesday, February 02, 2010 4:32 AM
  • Actually I do have a project that will stress a machine with 256GB of memory using four quad-core processors. In the field of computer chess such a machine is simply one more step in proof that chess is a draw.

Tuesday, February 02, 2010 4:35 AM
  • Well, as you pointed out, there are size limitations in the DIMMs.  When the RAM technology puts more density in the packages the then Windows OS under development will likely increase on those limits.

Not only that, but the current bandwidth limitations, cache sizes, etc. simply don't make that large a RAM practical.

At the moment, the people needing in excess of 192 GB on a single computer probably number in the tens at best.

-Noel
    Tuesday, February 02, 2010 4:41 AM
  • If I could get it, I would love to have static RAM, the chess program would be 200x faster at least. The program is a hardcore database with trillions of records. In addition to the RAM, disk storage for the need an 8U chassis with fifty 2TB disks.

In the interest of time, a rack of machines with the quad CPU boards would be needed to operate on parts of the problem. The 8U box could hold the results.

I am still working on the site slowly, http://computer-chess.dyndns.biz

Chess is hardcore research. It really does touch supercomputing.

Tuesday, February 02, 2010 4:46 AM

for your information the same machine that windows 7 use 2,75gb of ram uses 8gb with windows xp64 sp3
    (Hp ML115g5)
    Thursday, February 04, 2010 8:08 AM

for your information the same machine that windows 7 use 2,75gb of ram uses 8gb with windows xp64 sp3
    (Hp ML115g5)

Its still the same problem as the chipset is still using a 32bits adress table, you need to enable a greater adress table (memory remap feature in some BIOS) if your chipset is compatible.
    And dont compare Win7 with WinXP ....

Thursday, February 04, 2010 8:46 AM
  • Go into the BIOS and make sure address remapping is enabled.

Thursday, February 04, 2010 2:14 PM
  • I subscribe to Action Pack, I currently use XP 64 bit version for day to day emails / work etc + specifically for the reason that it can see my 8GB of RAM and that I have quite a few VMs I run purely for 'playing' / learning eg SBS2008 , system centre essentials, Exchange servers  etc etc. 
    This means I can run SBS2008 + SCOM + XP client  and do some full end to end test scenarios.

As far as I see the Windows 7 32bit version that comes with Action Pack would only allow me 3GB or less ?

My Questions - stick with XP 64bit , migrate to Windows 7 32bit or , just move everything to  a Hyper V server ?
    Sunday, February 28, 2010 10:26 AM
  • If you are already using XP x64 then moving the Windows 7 x64 will make you happy. As long as you have a good set of drivers you will be happy.

Vote if answered or helpful, I am running for Office (joke)! IT/Developer, Windows/Linux/Mainframe RaidMax Smilodon, 680W, Asus M2NBP-VM CSM, AMD X2 4200+, 2GB DDR2-800, HD2400 Pro, more details on my site, need a new boot disk, existing one is 5 years old
    Sunday, February 28, 2010 3:29 PM
  • cellweb, you do get both x86 and x64 versions in your MAPS.  This applies to all software that's available in both versions.  ;)
    Same key; you just need to download the x64 media thru the Partner Portal. 

-Chris
    [If this post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" or "Helpful" button at the top of this message. By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.]
    Sunday, February 28, 2010 7:17 PM
  • My Questions - stick with XP 64bit , migrate to Windows 7 32bit or , just move everything to  a Hyper V server ?
    Why would you not consider Windows 7 x64?

I used XP x64 well before it was mainstream, then moved up to Vista x64.  Now I'm on Windows 7 x64.  It's very solid, very good.

-Noel
    Sunday, February 28, 2010 8:21 PM
  • Noel, I think that he didn't know that he also gets the x64 media with his MAPS subscription.   Easy mistake to make, seeing as they only shipped the x86 discs (x64 is via download.)

-Chris
    [If this post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" or "Helpful" button at the top of this message. By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.]
    Sunday, February 28, 2010 9:27 PM
  • You must be the biggest geek around, I am a great chess player but all the power you need to run a powerful chess program is a joke.

i run extreme chess on a 6 Gig Memory Windows 7 Ultimate, 4 2.8GHz Processor and this is perfect

U dont need Deep Blue 100 workstation of memory to run powerful chess, the graphics are simple 

You must have alot of money to waste on computers - why not use OSX Lion Apple Mac Pro this is a much better platform 

Friday, August 10, 2012 12:21 PM
  • I was just thinking about this issue and found your list. Thank You as it answered a concern I had in regards to my next build. Board supports 32GB but I run Home Premium (64) and would have to upgrade to Pro to use all of it. Guess I'll stick with 16 as my current system isn't suffering any lack..

Saturday, September 29, 2012 3:12 PM
  • DDR2 is now fading in the market and I have noticed good stocks of 2 GB sticks for sale, not much for 4 GB sticks as they are triple the cost of DDR3 sticks

I am using AMD and with 4 slots, I can get 8 GB on my server without major cost. Otherwise I need to build a new server.

DDR3 sticks are now very low cost and it makes the case to replace a server/gaming rig system board with each generation of RAM but I prefer to wait for PCI Express 3 to come out of the woodwork better.

On an AM3+ box, the best deal is 16 GB for < $100 with a cheap CPU its easy to modernize. 32 GB is likely to be possible < $100 as prices of 4 GB sticks continue to fall.

Intel has some new boards with 8 memory slots on it. I speculate there is demand for more RAM these days.

Windows 7 runs fine with 4 GB of RAM, more is not really doing much for performance compared to a faster CPU or GPU.

Windows MVP 2011-12, XP, Vista, 7 and 8. More people have climbed Everest than having 2 MVP's on the wall.

Hardcore Games, Legendary is the only Way to Play

Developer | Windows IT | Chess | Economics | Vegan Advocate | PC Reviews

Saturday, September 29, 2012 3:27 PM
  • Just a note:  If consistent, stable operation is important to you, consider using ECC RAM.

Errors do happen, and I'll wager you don't want your computer forging ahead using an uncorrected bogus value read from RAM.

-Noel

Detailed how-to in my eBooks:  

Configure The Windows 7 "To Work" Options
    Configure The Windows 8 "To Work" Options

Saturday, September 29, 2012 5:59 PM
  • RAM today is pretty stable, only 1 dead stick in service and I believe that was killed by a PSU failure.

I ran memtest on my machine for 4 days before I was satisfied it was stable enough to work with after replacing the PSU and some other components. I also stress tested the CPU thermal grease to be sure it was good.

ECC memory is still widely available and its widely supported on AMD and Intel machines.

Windows MVP 2011-12, XP, Vista, 7 and 8. More people have climbed Everest than having 2 MVP's on the wall.

Saturday, September 29, 2012 6:19 PM
  • As you know, pretty stable and utterly reliable can be two different things.

I had a DIMM go bad in a system some time ago.  It worked fine for the better part of a year, then started to cause a system halt every week or so due to an uncorrectable error.  Because it was ECC and supported by the BIOS, the system would not allow me to continue with bad data.  It (a Dell Precision workstation) even identified what pair of DIMMs the error was being detected in.  Replacement of 4 GB in 2 x 2 GB ECC FBDIMMs was a whole $32 (love it), after which it worked perfectly.

Bottom line is this:  Without ECC you just don't know whether your RAM is returning what you put into it, unless you test it (as you mentioned, VF).  Most prefer not to test their computer, but rather to use it.

Just food for thought.

-Noel

Detailed how-to in my eBooks:  

Configure The Windows 7 "To Work" Options
    Configure The Windows 8 "To Work" Options

Saturday, September 29, 2012 7:04 PM
  • I agree most never bother to check their rig hardware properly.

I have looked at my latest procurements and right now CPU options are more attractive given DDR4  is now on the radar

Saturday, September 29, 2012 7:09 PM
  • I have a wide range of RAM on my 2 trays now. I have a pair of IBM RDRAM 256 MB that cost a fortune back in the day. Today they are worth peanuts.

I am thinking of grabbing more 2048 MB sticks for the server so it can run more virtual machines

DDR2 cost about 20 and DDR3 about 10.50 right now

cheap, and if tested, they can be a real deal for a heavy workload compared to server gear

Saturday, September 29, 2012 7:17 PM