none
My Device manager is empty

Question

• Hi,
    MY device manager has suddenly not showing anything when I start it up.

I have checked that the plug and play service is started in automatic mode, and have also tried disabling all 'non-microsoft' services in system start-up and rebooting but to no avail.
    I read about 'clean boot', but I don't know what that is?
    I've tried a system restore but it fails with an error message (I didn't note it) with 2 different points. I've got too much loaded on the pc now to do a fresh install.

Any suggestions on a way forward would be great thanks. I am trying to install Mobile Device Centre and sync up my pda!

Many thanks

Mike
    Monday, January 11, 2010 12:09 AM

Answers

• Have you installed any antivirus program or firewall, such as Norton or other Symantec program? If so, please temporarily turn off them and verify the service again. The issue can be caused by corrupted service and you should start the service first, and then get the issue resolved.

Thanks,

Novak

• Marked as answer by Novak Wu Thursday, February 04, 2010 8:06 AM
    Thursday, January 14, 2010 5:44 AM

All replies

• Under start>search programs and files, type devmgmt.msc if still no go, do the following, under search programs and files type mmc /a and a console box would appear, under file menu choose add/remove snap in, under available snap in, choose device manager follow by add and if you're prompted to choose "snap in will always manage" choose local computer follow by next and hit ok to leave the console box

Next try going to device manager and verify if is working, hope it helps
    Monday, January 11, 2010 12:36 AM
    Answerer
  • Hi.

Sorry that didn't change it.
    Came up as you said but no change. :-(
    • Proposed as answer by -logicslayer- Wednesday, October 10, 2012 8:41 PM
    Monday, January 11, 2010 7:39 AM
  • Hi,

Here are some suggestions you can try:

1. Restart the machine in Safe Mode and verify whether there is any item in Device Manager. Please let me know the result.

2. Disable "Plug and Play services" and re-enable the service again in Normal Mode.

Thanks,

Novak

Tuesday, January 12, 2010 8:06 AM
  • Hi Novak

1. No - nothing in Device Manager

2. Got an error message, something about service could not accept control or something so couldn't stop/start the service.

If I use a 3rd party program I can see everything.

Thanks for your help with this.

Mike
    Wednesday, January 13, 2010 2:20 PM
  • Have you run sfc /scannow from the command prompt yet? (system file checker) Review what it does here http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/1538-sfc-scannow-command-system-file-checker.html (and don't click on that link below Recommend Fix - never ever do that except from Microsoft site s if it applies)
    MCSE, MCSA, MCDST [If this post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" or "Helpful" button at the top of this message. By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.]
    Wednesday, January 13, 2010 2:37 PM
  • Have you installed any antivirus program or firewall, such as Norton or other Symantec program? If so, please temporarily turn off them and verify the service again. The issue can be caused by corrupted service and you should start the service first, and then get the issue resolved.

Thanks,

Novak

• Marked as answer by Novak Wu Thursday, February 04, 2010 8:06 AM
    Thursday, January 14, 2010 5:44 AM