none
Vista sleep mode not playing well with external eSata drive?

Question

• Hi everyone,
    I have a brand new PC Build with an ASUS P5Q-E motherboard running Windows Vista Ultimate. Everything is working well; the one exception is my 1TB Fantom external drive connected via the eSATA port.

Vista recognized the drive just fine upon installation and whenever I first boot the PC. However, when I put the PC to sleep using Vista's sleep function (which I do every night) I can no longer "see" the drive. The only way to get it back is to reboot the PC.

Anybody know what the problem is? I can't seem to find a direct answer to this problem anywhere. I know I had problems a year ago with Vista sleep mode and USB drives, among other things, but those problems today seem resolved.

Note I have not tried updating the BIOS or anything yet; but the parts are all brand new from NewEgg and I would think up to date.

Thank you,
    pjpinella
    Wednesday, November 12, 2008 9:12 PM

Answers

• Hi,

This is a driver issue. Did the issue occurred when you obtain the computer?

If it occurred from beginning, this may be a driver issue. The built-in USB storage driver in the ASUS Windows Vista system may be not compatible. In this case, we may need to re-plug the hard drive as a workaround.

However, if it started to occur recently, I suggest that you follow the steps below to reinstall the driver for the device.

1. Plug the hard drive.

2. Expand “Disk Drives”, right-click on the entry of the external hard drive under and click Update Drive Software.

2. Click "Browse my computer for driver software"

3. Choose "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer".

4. Please check the option Show compatible hardware. Then click Have Disk.

5. Click Browse and locate to the following path

C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\usbstor.inf_bb2778a0

The number after “usbstor.inf” indicates the version of the driver. On your computer the number may be different. Please select the latest folder “usbstor.inf_*”

Click Open. Click OK.

If the issue persists, please let me know if the issue occurred since you installed certain update such as Service Pack 1.

Hope it helps.

Friday, November 14, 2008 8:20 AM

All replies

• Hi,

This is a driver issue. Did the issue occurred when you obtain the computer?

If it occurred from beginning, this may be a driver issue. The built-in USB storage driver in the ASUS Windows Vista system may be not compatible. In this case, we may need to re-plug the hard drive as a workaround.

However, if it started to occur recently, I suggest that you follow the steps below to reinstall the driver for the device.

1. Plug the hard drive.

2. Expand “Disk Drives”, right-click on the entry of the external hard drive under and click Update Drive Software.

2. Click "Browse my computer for driver software"

3. Choose "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer".

4. Please check the option Show compatible hardware. Then click Have Disk.

5. Click Browse and locate to the following path

C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\usbstor.inf_bb2778a0

The number after “usbstor.inf” indicates the version of the driver. On your computer the number may be different. Please select the latest folder “usbstor.inf_*”

Click Open. Click OK.

If the issue persists, please let me know if the issue occurred since you installed certain update such as Service Pack 1.

Hope it helps.

Friday, November 14, 2008 8:20 AM
  • Arthur,
    Thanks very much for your reply. Just to be clear, yes, this computer is brand new and the sleep disappearance act has occurred from the very beginning. I am using this PC's eSATA port, not the USB port; and the instructions that came with the drive was to use the default Vista driver during plug and play. This is what I did. Vista "discovered" the drive when I first turned it on just fine. (The driver, which Vista says is up to date, is dated 2006, by the way.)

The problems I had a year ago with Vista and USB drives was with another computer. Those problems have gone away. But this sleep problem with eSATA persists. Again, drive works fine after a clean boot. But doesn't show up as soon as a put the computer to sleep and wake it up.

The driver you recommend, "usbstor.inf_*, has USB in the name. Are you sure this is OK to run with an eSATA drive? I just want to make sure before I try it.

Thanks again!
    pjpinella

Friday, November 14, 2008 11:48 AM
  • Arthur,

I've done more experimentation with this and Windows Vista. And I found out that when everything is working normally after a cold boot, and I switch the eSATA drive on, it works. I can see the drive.

I can turn the drive off and on as much as I want, no problem. I can always see the drive.

Now comes sleep. IF a leave the drive on when I put the PC to sleep...and IF I have the drive turned on before I awaken it...everything works as advertised. It's OK if I turn off the drive after the PC is slumbering.

I just have to remember to do this procedure, though. If I forget and sleep the PC before turning the drive back on, or wake it up without first switching on the eSATA drive, the drive disappears and will not appear again without a cold boot.

Be nice if it worked just the same as a USB drive; I suspect others may be disappointed as this gains in popularity. Just my opinion though. Thanks again for your help.

pjpinella

Windows 7.

Saturday, November 15, 2008 12:09 AM
  • Hi Paul,

Sorry for delay.

Have you tried the suggestion to reload the driver for the drive? If not, just give it an attempt, it may resolve the issue.

When the issue occurs, can you access the drive after clicking Start, and typing "[drive letter]:\" in the Start Search box? If so, the issue may be caused by the user profile that is corrupt. You may create a new profile and check if the issue still exists.

Additionally, I suggest that you plug the drive into another Windows Vista computer, and confirm if it occurs. If so, it maybe a design issue of the hard drive.

Hope the suggestions help.

Monday, November 24, 2008 9:57 AM
  • I have the precise same problem on my new Dell PC with a FreeAgent Extreme eSata drive.
    I don't know how appointed Arthur to be moderator or answer questions here - pure nonsense.
    Wednesday, August 12, 2009 6:01 AM
  • This is why Apple is gaining, with Chrome et al behind.

I have a Dell XPS 8000 w/Vista 64-bit (just got it yesterday 28Oct2009). Plug in my brand new 1 TB Seagate Xtreme via eSata. Works fine for ~15-30 minutes. Now, no matter what I do, the drive is not recognized.

Apple gets that a system is exactly that....a *system* (an aggregation of hardware, software, and firmware). If I buy something with an Apple stamp on it and plug it in to my Apple machine....IT JUST WORKS! I don't have to spend my free time chatting on forums about compatibility issues (I'm sure most ppl have other things they'd prefer to be doing).

Next time I'll spend twice the $ on an Apple - it will just work.
    Thursday, October 29, 2009 7:03 PM
  • No kiddin, R. Shirlen. I suppose we can all take comfort in the fact that while Arthur never answered the question, he or one of his colleagues did put a comforting green check mark at the top of the page, and a legend (get that!) to tell us that green check marks mean the question has been answered.

Friday, December 18, 2009 1:05 AM
  • Do you know if the drive has a power down on pc power down functionallity?

I'm just thinking here....that maybe the problem chould be that when the pc goes into sleep mode, the drive gets it as power of and will not power back on because you diden't turn "ON" the PC.

Try looking under power settings in control panel.

I allways turn off the Selective USB shutdown...Not sure that is what it is called. (Not English OS)

Not really sure what this does...But something tells me that it seperates USB connectivity. (How they act) Logitech, Western Digital, Microsoft and so on....

Am i way off?
    Monday, December 21, 2009 7:39 PM