none
Built-in SD card reader won't auto-detect an SD card anymore (WIN 7 Pro)

Question

• I have a Fujitsu T series (actually the T4410) convertable laptop running WIN 7 Pro (32 bit).  In the past, when I stuck an SD card into the unit's built-in SD card reader, WIN 7 would automatically see the card and I could drag-drop or whatever I need to from there.  The issue exists with 1 GB and 4 GB SD cards so I don't think it is a card capacity issue.

About 4 months ago, the SD card reader stopped auto-detecting an SD card when one was inserted into the built-in SD card reader.  I think it may have been a Windows 7 update that possibly that messed things up.  I've called Fujitsu and they have no fix other than to re-install WIN7.  What I've been doing in the mean time, every time I need to use the SD card reader, I open Device Manager and rescan devices and WIN7 then finds the SD card reader and the card inserted.

Curious to if anyone has heard of this problem (related to a WIN 7 update?) and if you know if a fix?  The fact that after WIN7's Device Manager finds the SD card reader after I rescan each time, the reader is functional but the issue appears to be related to WIN7.  Thanks.

Tuesday, January 03, 2012 5:29 PM

Answers

All replies

• You need to ensure the current driver & software for the card reader from Fujitsu are installed.  Those drivers are not supplied by Microsoft.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Tuesday, January 03, 2012 6:12 PM
  • Device Manager says that my driver is up to date for my SD card reader.  What else can I try?
    Thursday, January 05, 2012 12:04 AM
  • Also try to update BIOS and chipset to the latest version.

And you’d better contact PC manufacturer to check if the SD card reader has broken.

Regards,

Leo   Huang

Leo Huang

TechNet Community Support

Thursday, January 05, 2012 7:06 AM
  • I actually got it to work now by reverting to an old driver.  The current driver doesn't auto-detect SD cards but the old one does.  Weird.
    Friday, January 06, 2012 1:40 PM