none
Windows 7 How to install network printer

Question

• Try to install network printer (HP). Printer was found, but no driver avialable. Then try to install a Vista-driver but the installation didn't found a local printer, course it is a networkprinter. I can not bring the printer to the pc to install it local. How can I install the network printer?
    Tuesday, July 28, 2009 5:43 AM

Answers

• Most printer driver installation program can help us to install a shared printer. During the installation, it may prompt that if you would like to install a local printer or a network shard printer. Then select the correct option and finish the installation.

If the driver installation program does not help in this, follow the steps below to add a shard printer.

1. Launch Control Panel/Devices and Printers.
    2. Click "Add a printer".
    3. Select "Add a local printer".
    4. Select "Create a new port". Choose "Local Port" as the type of the port.

5. In the box "Enter a port name", type the address as the following format.

\\[IP address of the host computer]\[The Share Name of the printer]

Then click Next.

6. Follow the instruction to finish the installation. During installing, choose the correct driver in the driver list. If the driver does not exist, click the button "Windows Update". Wait for the process finishes and check if there is a available driver.

Arthur Xie - MSFT
    Wednesday, July 29, 2009 8:05 AM

All replies

• Most printer driver installation program can help us to install a shared printer. During the installation, it may prompt that if you would like to install a local printer or a network shard printer. Then select the correct option and finish the installation.

If the driver installation program does not help in this, follow the steps below to add a shard printer.

1. Launch Control Panel/Devices and Printers.
    2. Click "Add a printer".
    3. Select "Add a local printer".
    4. Select "Create a new port". Choose "Local Port" as the type of the port.

5. In the box "Enter a port name", type the address as the following format.

\\[IP address of the host computer]\[The Share Name of the printer]

Then click Next.

6. Follow the instruction to finish the installation. During installing, choose the correct driver in the driver list. If the driver does not exist, click the button "Windows Update". Wait for the process finishes and check if there is a available driver.

Arthur Xie - MSFT
    Wednesday, July 29, 2009 8:05 AM
  • I have a new Windows 7 computer and have a similar problem.  However, my network printer is not connected through another computer, it is directly connected to my router.  The printer is an HP 1022nw.  On my Windos XP machines the printer shows up when I search.  How do I get Windows 7 to recognize the same printer?
    Saturday, May 14, 2011 9:51 PM