none
Virtual XP files question

Question

• I have a Dell Quad core I7 running Win 7 Proffessional 64 bit. I recently did a complete backup to an external hardrive and then formatted and reinstalled Win 7 to get a fresh copy of the program running on this computer.

I had Virtual XP mode installed on the old copy and have installed Virtual XP on the fresh copy.

Which files do I need to copy over from the backup to put the virtual files back on my normal copy of Win 7 and Virtual XP?

I don't want to copy over the entire back up file set as I am trying to get all the junk off my computer that had accumulated over the years and to get Win 7 running back up at a respectible speed again.

So are thee specific file I can copy over to get the files from the backup to this machine or am I going to have to recreate all the virtual stuff I had before the reinstall?

Thanks for your help with this.

If I select the wrong forum can you please copy it over to the correct forum or tell me which one this should be in! Thanks

A1pilota320@flica.net

Monday, February 20, 2012 9:45 PM

Answers

• There are four main files you want.  First, make sure you completely shutdown XP Mode.

C:\Program Files\Windows XP Mode\Windows XP Mode base.vhd  -- base installation of Windows XP Mode, while you may not need it, if the replacement base disk is in any way different than the one you originally had, it will make your child disk unusable

%USERPROFILE%\Virtual Machines\Windows XP Mode. vmcx  -- not required, but it will allow you to set up XP Mode quickly

%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Virtual PC\Virtual Machines\Windows XP Mode.vhd --contains all YOUR data and changes to XP Mode

%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Virtual PC\Virtual Machines\Windows XP Mode.vmc -- the configuration file that the .vmcx points to, again not required but helps speed set up of XP Mode in your new system.

For a smooth transistion, make sure you restore all 4 files to their original locations

Tuesday, February 21, 2012 4:26 AM

All replies

• There are four main files you want.  First, make sure you completely shutdown XP Mode.

C:\Program Files\Windows XP Mode\Windows XP Mode base.vhd  -- base installation of Windows XP Mode, while you may not need it, if the replacement base disk is in any way different than the one you originally had, it will make your child disk unusable

%USERPROFILE%\Virtual Machines\Windows XP Mode. vmcx  -- not required, but it will allow you to set up XP Mode quickly

%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Virtual PC\Virtual Machines\Windows XP Mode.vhd --contains all YOUR data and changes to XP Mode

%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Virtual PC\Virtual Machines\Windows XP Mode.vmc -- the configuration file that the .vmcx points to, again not required but helps speed set up of XP Mode in your new system.

For a smooth transistion, make sure you restore all 4 files to their original locations

Tuesday, February 21, 2012 4:26 AM
  • Hi Smjain

That worked thanks.

You saved me from having to recreate a bunch of data.

Thanks again.

A1pilota320

Wednesday, February 22, 2012 12:13 AM