none
Unable to install Windows Update - 80072EE2,8024400A and 80072EFE

Question

• We have recently bought a new Dell Optiplex 990 (Windows 7 Professional, Service Pack 1) in our offices and I need to run some updates on it, however, I keep getting error codes and the phrase 'Windows Update encountered an unknown error'.  First error code was 80072EE2, I tried a few suggestions from other users on here and various other sites yesterday to no avail.

I have since received the error codes 8024400A and 80072EFE.

I'm not a genius with computers, so any help, written as simply as possible would be hugely appreciated!

Many thanks.

(We have no extra/3rd party antivirus software running on this computer, just the windows firewall)
    Tuesday, September 11, 2012 12:27 PM

Answers

All replies

• I would start here

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058

You can use "FixIt" or you can run it yourself

To reset the Windows Update components, follow these steps:
      • Open a Windows Command Prompt Windows. To open a command prompt, click Start and then click Run. Copy and paste (or type) the following command in the Open box and then press ENTER:

cmd
      • Stop the BITS service and the Windows Update service. To do this, type the following commands at a command prompt. Press ENTER after you type each command.
        • net stop bits
        • net stop wuauserv
      • Delete the qmgr*.dat files. To do this, type the following command at a command prompt, and then press ENTER:
        Del "%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Application Data\Microsoft\Network\Downloader\qmgr*.dat"
      • If this is your first attempt at resolving your Windows Update issues by using the steps in this article, go to step 5 without carrying out step 4. Step 4 should only be performed at this point in the troubleshooting if you cannot resolve your Windows Update issues after following all steps but step 4. The steps in step 4 are also performed by the "Aggressive" mode of the Fix it Solution above:
        1. Rename the following folders to *.BAK:
          • %systemroot%\SoftwareDistribution\DataStore
          • %systemroot%\SoftwareDistribution\Download
          • %systemroot%\system32\catroot2
          To do this, type the following commands at a command prompt. Press ENTER after you type each command.
          • Ren %systemroot%\SoftwareDistribution\DataStore *.bak
          • Ren %systemroot%\SoftwareDistribution\Download *.bak
          • Ren %systemroot%\system32\catroot2 *.bak
        2. Reset the BITS service and the Windows Update service to the default security descriptor. To do this, type the following commands at a command prompt. Press ENTER after you type each command.
          • sc.exe sdset bits D:(A;;CCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRRC;;;SY)(A;;CCDCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRSDRCWDWO;;;BA)(A;;CCLCSWLOCRRC;;;AU)(A;;CCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRRC;;;PU)
          • sc.exe sdset wuauserv D:(A;;CCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRRC;;;SY)(A;;CCDCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRSDRCWDWO;;;BA)(A;;CCLCSWLOCRRC;;;AU)(A;;CCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRRC;;;PU)
      • Type the following command at a command prompt, and then press ENTER:
        cd /d %windir%\system32
      • Reregister the BITS files and the Windows Update files. To do this, type the following commands at a command prompt. Press ENTER after you type each command.
        • regsvr32.exe atl.dll
        • regsvr32.exe urlmon.dll
        • regsvr32.exe mshtml.dll
        • regsvr32.exe shdocvw.dll
        • regsvr32.exe browseui.dll
        • regsvr32.exe jscript.dll
        • regsvr32.exe vbscript.dll
        • regsvr32.exe scrrun.dll
        • regsvr32.exe msxml.dll
        • regsvr32.exe msxml3.dll
        • regsvr32.exe msxml6.dll
        • regsvr32.exe actxprxy.dll
        • regsvr32.exe softpub.dll
        • regsvr32.exe wintrust.dll
        • regsvr32.exe dssenh.dll
        • regsvr32.exe rsaenh.dll
        • regsvr32.exe gpkcsp.dll
        • regsvr32.exe sccbase.dll
        • regsvr32.exe slbcsp.dll
        • regsvr32.exe cryptdlg.dll
        • regsvr32.exe oleaut32.dll
        • regsvr32.exe ole32.dll
        • regsvr32.exe shell32.dll
        • regsvr32.exe initpki.dll
        • regsvr32.exe wuapi.dll
        • regsvr32.exe wuaueng.dll
        • regsvr32.exe wuaueng1.dll
        • regsvr32.exe wucltui.dll
        • regsvr32.exe wups.dll
        • regsvr32.exe wups2.dll
        • regsvr32.exe wuweb.dll
        • regsvr32.exe qmgr.dll
        • regsvr32.exe qmgrprxy.dll
        • regsvr32.exe wucltux.dll
        • regsvr32.exe muweb.dll
        • regsvr32.exe wuwebv.dll
      • Reset Winsock. To do this, type the following command at a command prompt, and then press ENTER:
        netsh reset winsock
      • If you are running Windows XP or Windows Server 2003, you have to set the proxy settings. To do this, type the following command at a command prompt, and then press ENTER:
        proxycfg.exe -d
      • Restart the BITS service and the Windows Update service. To do this, type the following commands at a command prompt. Press ENTER after you type each command.
        • net start bits
        • net start wuauserv
      • If you are running Windows Vista or Windows Server 2008, clear the BITS queue. To do this, type the following command at a command prompt, and then press ENTER:
        bitsadmin.exe /reset /allusers
      • Install the latest Windows Update Agent. For more information, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
        (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949104/ )
        How to obtain the latest version of the Windows Update Agent to help manage updates on a computer
      • Restart the computer.

• Proposed as answer by nooknakub Tuesday, September 11, 2012 5:14 PM
    Tuesday, September 11, 2012 1:22 PM
  • Hello,

Firstly, many thanks for your response- I really appreciate your help!

Unfortunately I didn't get very far before reaching a problem-

I followed your instructions and this was where I got to:

Stop the BITS service and the Windows Update service. To do this, type the following commands at a command prompt. Press ENTER after you type each command.
    • net stop bits
    • net stop wuauserv

Both of these came up on the cmd as System error 5 has occurred. Access is denied.

I am an administrator on this computer so I am not entirely sure why access should be denied?

Many thanks.

Amber

Tuesday, September 11, 2012 3:01 PM
  • you need to run it with elavated CMD prompt.

Even admins by default run in standard user mode unless you right click on cmd and chose "Run as administrator".

• Proposed as answer by nooknakub Tuesday, September 11, 2012 5:08 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by nooknakub Tuesday, September 11, 2012 5:15 PM
    • Proposed as answer by nooknakub Tuesday, September 11, 2012 5:15 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by nooknakub Tuesday, September 11, 2012 5:15 PM
    Tuesday, September 11, 2012 3:51 PM
  • Hi,

I suggest you try the following:

1. Use the fixit in Windows Update error 8024400a, 8024400d, or 8024400e and Windows Update error 80072efe or 80072f76.

2. Scan the system for virus.

3. Temporarily disable the firewall, anti-virus program, and bypass the router(if you use) to test the update.

Hope this helps

Vincent Wang

TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, September 12, 2012 8:25 AM
  • Hi Vincent,

Thank you for your suggestion, unfortunately this didn't seem to make a difference, I still received the error code 80072EFE.

Brano Lukic-

Thank you for your response regarding the administrator settings for the cmd prompt.

I have followed your instructions and have now got to the point of re-registering the BITS files and the Windows Update files, however, when typing 'regsvr32.exe mshtml.dlll' I got the following error message -

The module "mshtml.dll" was loaded but the entry-point DllRegisterService was not found. Make sure that "mshtml.dll" is a valid DLL or OXC file and then try again.

I also received that message for the next two commands (with the appropriate letters changed)

Any ideas?

Many thanks.

Wednesday, September 12, 2012 9:51 AM
  • Don't worry if some of them give you message like that.

Just do all of them and reboot your computer.

After reboot try to run the updates again.

Wednesday, September 12, 2012 1:24 PM
  • Hi,

Have you check for the virus? In addition, please check whether the following tool will find the rootkit.

http://support.kaspersky.com/faq/?qid=208280684

Note: Microsoft provides third-party contact information to help you find technical support. This contact information may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this third-party contact information.

Hope this helps

Vincent Wang

Thursday, September 13, 2012 5:57 AM
  • Hi,

I tried the Kaspersky link and it found no threats..I suppose that's a good thing! Though maybe not in helping to solve the update error!

For the previous thread, I followed through and also received messages "The module "msxml.dll" failed to load. Make sure the binary is stored at the specified path or debug it to check for problems with the binary or dependent .DLL files. The specified module could not be found."

I received the same message for the following commands - "gpkcsp.dll" "sccbase.dll" "slbcsp.dll" "initpki.dll" "wuauengl.dll" "wucltui.dll" "wuweb.dll" "qmgr.dll" and "muweb.dll"

When trying to reset Winsock I received the message (in the cmd box) "The following command was not found: reset winsock"

I restarted the BITS service and the Windows Update service. However, I still can't find any updates..

I think I might give up trying but just wanted to check that with all the commands I set to the computer and all the different messages that have come up - that I haven't damaged anything or would be leaving the computer in a vulnerable position?

Many thanks for all your help.

Thursday, September 13, 2012 10:04 AM
  • It's working!

I am currently installing 58 updates!

Thank you!

If you do think I have left anything 'undone' as such after the error messages received I would really appreciate you letting me know.

Thanks again!

Thursday, September 13, 2012 11:27 AM
  • Hi,

Glad to hear this issue has been solved.

Regards,

Vincent Wang

Friday, September 14, 2012 2:12 AM