none
Virus on portable

General discussion

• What protects data on a portable device that is plugged into a public computer with windows?

Fx. something created autorun.inf and another executable on my portable by plugging into a public computer in an internet cafe. So if something can create those, what protects data from being deleted?

Thursday, February 07, 2013 10:30 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I will back up any important data before plugging my portable device on the computers which are probably infected with virus.

Tracy Cai
    TechNet Community Support

Friday, February 08, 2013 5:28 AM
  • So there isn't any protection?
    Friday, February 08, 2013 10:22 AM
  • Basically, autorun viruses enables themselves to spread virus codes from one medium to another medium automatically thus creating a widespread effect of the virus.

Techs are much aware of this so here are some links which will show you how to protect your data files from these autorun viruses:

http://thepinoyforum.com/computer-tips-techniques-how-to-s/protect-your-usb-from-autorun-inf-t376.html

http://freeware4review.blogspot.com/2009/10/autoruninf-malware-threat-protect-and.html

Tuesday, February 12, 2013 2:51 PM
  • Certainly, there is....
    Tuesday, February 12, 2013 2:54 PM
  • Basically, autorun viruses enables themselves to spread virus codes from one medium to another medium automatically thus creating a widespread effect of the virus.

That is some weird tricks to prevent only the autorun.inf.

But once I saw the autorun.inf and another executable. So I wonder if some worm is able to fx eat my video collection when using public computers?

I used a program "NTFSAccess" to set the same ownership on all my files on the portables. Because else I had problems when downloading or saving something using one public computer and then some other day trying to manage those files on another public computer. So I don't think ownership is very protective.

Usually the internet cafes allow you admin rights on their public computers because else there's a lot of stuff you can't do. And then they use fx. deepfreeze so whatever you do, the public computers have their data saved on reboot.

Tuesday, February 12, 2013 8:01 PM
  • Now I just got virus again in a complete other store with public PCs.

There's a hidden autorun.inf with this

[AutoRun]
    Open=SysAnti.exe
    Shell\Open=´ò¿ª(&O)
    Shell\Open\Command=SysAnti.exe
    Shell\Open\Default=1
    Shell\Explore=×ÊÔ´¹ÜÀíÆ÷(&X)
    Shell\Explore\Command=SysAnti.exe

And there's a hidden executable SysAnti.exe 50.8 KB

So where's it all comming from?

Monday, February 18, 2013 3:01 PM
  • I just don't get why windows doesn't protect user data?

It's got a "guest" account, which means that the current user isn't the owner of the machine and also must bring own documents and data on a portable device. And if you're a "guest" on several machines what do you get? You get RECYCLE and System Volume Information and completely useless stuff from different machines written on your portable.

Fx. I formatted a partition on the portable USB device as a guest, and the machine with win xp wrote 8 GB in System Volume Information...

Wednesday, February 27, 2013 1:02 PM