none
Upgrade vs Clean Install

Question

• Just a silly question... What is the difference between Upgrade vs Clean Install ? Which one will be the best option ?

The screen of my Toshiba laptop turns black every 1-2 minutes, and it stays like this for almost 30 seconds. Sometimes, it turns pure white screen and then I've to restart the system. Does anyone know why is it going this ?? Is there any solution for that ?

Thanks!!!!!
    Thursday, May 07, 2009 2:42 PM

Answers

• Well it depends on a few variables..... first you would want to troubleshoot your issue on your laptop.. see if it is software/drivers/settings or hardware... i recommend downloading a linux live CD or dVD boot off of it and see if your system still behaves that way... if it does it may be your laptop has hardware issues or possible a setting in the BIOS.

Now as for Win 7 Clean or upgrade... that depends on your preferences and requirements... If you have nothing on the laptop your worried about loosing just do a clean install... if you have apps and files on there you want to keep an upgrade may be the best, but ther are things to keep in mind... this is still a "beta" of sorts you should ALWAYS back up important info. Just in case.

so the short answer... if you want a clean quick environment and are not worried about loosing you data do a clean install
    if you ave things you need to keep or do not want the hassle of re-installing do an upgrade.
    • Marked as answer by Nick FV Monday, June 08, 2009 3:09 PM
    Thursday, May 07, 2009 3:26 PM

All replies

• Well it depends on a few variables..... first you would want to troubleshoot your issue on your laptop.. see if it is software/drivers/settings or hardware... i recommend downloading a linux live CD or dVD boot off of it and see if your system still behaves that way... if it does it may be your laptop has hardware issues or possible a setting in the BIOS.

Now as for Win 7 Clean or upgrade... that depends on your preferences and requirements... If you have nothing on the laptop your worried about loosing just do a clean install... if you have apps and files on there you want to keep an upgrade may be the best, but ther are things to keep in mind... this is still a "beta" of sorts you should ALWAYS back up important info. Just in case.

so the short answer... if you want a clean quick environment and are not worried about loosing you data do a clean install
    if you ave things you need to keep or do not want the hassle of re-installing do an upgrade.
    • Marked as answer by Nick FV Monday, June 08, 2009 3:09 PM
    Thursday, May 07, 2009 3:26 PM
  • Hi. :)

To answer your first question, the difference between a Upgrade and a Clean Install is:

Upgrade : An upgrade does not uninstall your programs or customizations but installs Windows 7 on existing version of Windows

Clean Install : A clean install will erase your existing version of Windows completely and install Windows 7 in it's place. All files will be lost.

"Which one is the best option ?"

Well, the Windows 7 RC is only a Pre-released Operating System in the final phase of testing so I really don't think either of them is better. But, I think performing a Clean Install would be better. :)

In regards to your screen turning black every 1-2 minutes, you can try to find some updates for your Display driver from your manufacturer and install them and test if it resolves the problem. =)

I hope this helped. :)
    Evandela
    • Edited by Evandela Thursday, May 07, 2009 3:37 PM
    Thursday, May 07, 2009 3:28 PM
  • Thanks Oritech & Evandela... I went on Toshiba.com and downloaded updates but the problem is still there... Sometimes, I feel like to throw it away... :)   It used to be once in every 5-6 minutes but now it's constant...
    Thursday, May 07, 2009 3:35 PM
  • Hi,

Did you try what Oritech has suggested - Download Linux live CD, boot from there and see if the problem persists? Doing this will help isolate whether it's a hardware issue or a device driver's issue.

If the problem persists on Linux Live Cd, it could be a hardware issue - I suggest sending the laptop for servicing.

Jabez Gan [MVP] - http://www.msblog.org Contributing Author for: (Sybex) MCTS: Windows Server 2008 Applications Infrastructure Configuration Study Guide: Exam 70-643
    Thursday, May 07, 2009 7:40 PM
  • Hi Guys... Where do I get this Linux Live CD ?
    Friday, May 08, 2009 5:27 PM
  • Just google "Ubuntu live cd" or "Fedora live cd", etc.
    Friday, May 08, 2009 5:51 PM