none
Windows firewall: how block ICMP echo (ping response) ?

Question

• Comodo won't run for me any more so I'm back to Win firewall, which yields stealth from Gibson research (GRC) except that it answers the ICMP ping.  I can't figure out how to block it.

Any help appreciated!

Hope that helps! - - - Kris
    Thursday, May 28, 2009 3:35 AM

Answers

• apparently I sussed it...

Control Panel / Windows firewall / Advanced settings (on left side) / Inbound rules / New rule (on right side) :

set "all programs" , protocol "ICMPv4" , ICMP settings click Customize button and choose "specific ICMP types / echo request.  Choose "block".

It will put it appropriately at the top of the list.  GRC now shows full stealth.

Thursday, May 28, 2009 4:08 AM

All replies

• apparently I sussed it...

Control Panel / Windows firewall / Advanced settings (on left side) / Inbound rules / New rule (on right side) :

set "all programs" , protocol "ICMPv4" , ICMP settings click Customize button and choose "specific ICMP types / echo request.  Choose "block".

It will put it appropriately at the top of the list.  GRC now shows full stealth.

Thursday, May 28, 2009 4:08 AM
  • yes, this is definitely much simpler and definitely the firewall way to go (for me!) !
    Friday, May 29, 2009 3:11 PM
  • your a dumbass,there are no such options to windows 7 firewall and i dont give a dam if they kick me off here,you still a dumbass!
    Monday, June 25, 2012 3:51 PM
  • universalsoldier53,

It is there.  The way to set it up has  changed, but only slightly.  It took me all of 2 seconds to find it.  I didnt realize that you not being able to do something resulted in other people being "dumbasses."

Allow me to help you so that other people aren't "dumbasses" anymore *rolls eyes*

Open Windows Firewall with Advanced Security>Inbound Rules>New Rule>Custom Rule>All Programs>Protocol type:  ICMPv4 (then click customize at the bottom)>Specific ICMP types: (tick 'Echo Request') (click OK)>Choose your IP settings>Block Connection>Apply to Domain/Private/Public>Finish.

tested on win7x64SP1, Win8x64.

Saturday, November 03, 2012 7:01 PM
  • <object height="1" id="plugin0" style=";z-index:1000;" type="application/x-dgnria" width="1"><param name="tabId" value="{D3249603-5247-4976-998A-D8A7FD77264C}" /></object>

p00n4n1,

Thanks for your posting and your answer, it has helped me find a solution I've been looking for all day.  Appreciate your time.

Friday, December 07, 2012 5:48 AM
  • This thread marked as responded so not sure this will be read.

Experiencing similar problem with ping response showing per Shields Up.

I have created rules per second instructions (p00n4n1?).   Created rule for both ICMPv4 and ICMPv6.   Everything appears to be correct.   Still get failure indication on Shields Up though indicating ICMP echo response.   Tried reboot to no affect.

Some thoughts -

Had just uninstalled Norton 360.     Don't see why that should make a difference, but thought I should mention.

Could Shields Up be looking at other ICMP protocol responses then echo response?   Any reason not to check them all?

Is it possible my cable modem is responding independently of my PC and that is what Shields Up is seeing?

Followup - believe I may have my answer from Shields Up (Gibson Research Corporation).    They provided link 

www.grc.com/sn/SN-064.htm

Appears my cable modem is likely a NAT router and responding to ping itself.

• Edited by ioweejun Wednesday, May 08, 2013 2:32 PM
    Tuesday, May 07, 2013 2:43 PM