none
Print Spooler is running but cannot print in Windows 7 Enterprise

Question

• I hope someone can help to shed some light on this problem we have been having.

Were a support group for a large company, they are  running Win 7 Enterprise 32bit workstations and a Server 2003 Print Server. The DC is Server 2008. I really dont think more info is neccessary. Maybe just this, all the computers were set-up using the Windows Framework and USMT.

Description: Randomly, lets say 10 workstations out of 400, during the day some computers just stops being able to print. Trust me, we have been looking at all kinds of solutions, but nothing is pointing in the right direction. The print spooler is running, you can access the print properties etc, the print jobs sit in the que... It just doesnt go to the printer! All are network printers, HP, Nashua, Brother etc. The workstations that do not have the problem can still print to the printers. So where is the problem??

The most common solution is to restart the print spooler, that works in the sense that it works for now. It will keep working normally till the next day or even a week later, then the same problem just randomly comes back to another person or even the same guy. Sometimes, you have to actually stop the service, wait and then start it again. Other times, you have to restart the computer...

The thing that we do not get is that it's really random. No errors in the logs etc. it just simply cant print...

We have even tried removing ALL the DRIVERS and PRINTERS from the spooler folders the registry etc... We really don't think it has anything to do with USMT or Print settings or what ever other common thing you might think of...

This is definitely some small little problem that just wont go away and is not big enough to raise flags everywhere... some days go by where nothing happens...

We have given up on our search, is there maybe someone out there that experienced the same issue ??? Please guys, this is just one of those that we need to know why,,, MS PLEASE HELP...

As we go along I will try to post more info on what we've tried... On Vista in our environment this did not happen!

Hardware: Lenovo T410, T400, T61 and some T60 machines. Lenovo M57 and M90 Desktops

Thanks

• Edited by Dirk Schaap Wednesday, January 19, 2011 11:45 AM Update
    Wednesday, January 19, 2011 11:42 AM

Answers

• Hi Dirk,

as you already know it is a little bit difficult to say something about the cause of the problem without analyzing the client pc’s and if there aren’t any known issues.

In your case I would suggest first to update some of the core spooler components. You can ignore the kb article descriptions.

The mentioned below kb article contains some of the important core spooler components like localspl.dll which is the local print provider etc..

Please do not ask why the problem occurs only on some pc’s even if they are all on the same patch level. J) As you know in MS kb articles it is already mentioned it can,could,may,might occur .. J.

No event is added to the System log or to an operational channel when a print job is canceled or deleted

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/979241/en-us

Poor printing performance in Windows 7 or in Windows Server 2008 R2 compared to the performance in Windows Vista or in Windows Server 2008

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2295825/en-us

Some print jobs fail and raise Event 6161 when the Print to File option is used on a multiprocessor computer that is running Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008 R2 and is under heavy stress

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2388144/en-US

After the update please inform us if the problem still reoccurs.

With kind regards,

Cengiz Kuskaya

Wednesday, January 19, 2011 10:51 PM
  • Hi Dirk,

additionally please be aware that there are some issues reported in the forum that the clients cannot print successfully after the notebooks wake up from sleep or hibernate state. If the problem occurs also when the users leave their deski this could be also one of the resons.

You can temporarely check the users pc's and disable sleep or hibernation state. Instead of this you can configure the pc's to dim the display in example after 15 min if your boss complains :).

With kind regards,

Cengiz Kuskaya

Thursday, January 20, 2011 9:20 AM

All replies

• Hi Dirk,

as you already know it is a little bit difficult to say something about the cause of the problem without analyzing the client pc’s and if there aren’t any known issues.

In your case I would suggest first to update some of the core spooler components. You can ignore the kb article descriptions.

The mentioned below kb article contains some of the important core spooler components like localspl.dll which is the local print provider etc..

Please do not ask why the problem occurs only on some pc’s even if they are all on the same patch level. J) As you know in MS kb articles it is already mentioned it can,could,may,might occur .. J.

No event is added to the System log or to an operational channel when a print job is canceled or deleted

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/979241/en-us

Poor printing performance in Windows 7 or in Windows Server 2008 R2 compared to the performance in Windows Vista or in Windows Server 2008

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2295825/en-us

Some print jobs fail and raise Event 6161 when the Print to File option is used on a multiprocessor computer that is running Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008 R2 and is under heavy stress

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2388144/en-US

After the update please inform us if the problem still reoccurs.

With kind regards,

Cengiz Kuskaya

Wednesday, January 19, 2011 10:51 PM
  • Hi Cengiz,

Thank you for the prompt response.

I will give it a try on some of the machines that has given us this problem and see if it re-occurs. Unfortunately it will take some time before I know if it worked, seeing that it all happens at random. I know of two that give the issue more often than others, thus being prime candidates. Another situation it seems that brings this on is when the users leave their desk with their laptops, and reconnect on the same point.

One of the things I forgot to mention was that we are running PEAP in the environment... Which in its own could be a major contributor to the issue. But then again, we also use wireless through out the building, when moving to WLAN, as far as we know the problem has not yet occurred.

Let's hope it's the core files that these hotfixes repairs, then our quest will be at an end.

Thank you,

Dirk

Thursday, January 20, 2011 8:30 AM
  • Hi Dirk,

additionally please be aware that there are some issues reported in the forum that the clients cannot print successfully after the notebooks wake up from sleep or hibernate state. If the problem occurs also when the users leave their deski this could be also one of the resons.

You can temporarely check the users pc's and disable sleep or hibernation state. Instead of this you can configure the pc's to dim the display in example after 15 min if your boss complains :).

With kind regards,

Cengiz Kuskaya

Thursday, January 20, 2011 9:20 AM
  • Hi Cengiz,

Yes, thank you, I am aware of the hibernate & sleep issues. We only have issues with PEAP in this case, then it doesnt allow the computer back on the network, but this is also minimal. I will however look into it again in case I missed something.

Haha, we're an auditing firm and the users here never wants to listen to the benefits of sleep/hibernate vs the safety of their HDD :)

Well that's another story.

Regards,

Dirk

Thursday, January 20, 2011 10:00 AM
  • Hi Cengiz,

The people that I loaded the patches for, has not yet had the same problem. So, thank you.

My co-worker actually found another possible fix... We were also getting a "Local downlevel Document" in the print que on some pc's. I've pasted below the registry entry that fixes this. Thus far, it seems that both fixes has worked. We are keeping track of whom we've loaded the patches and or fix for, so far, so good.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows NT\Printers]
    "EnabledProtocols"=dword:00000006

Monday, January 31, 2011 9:07 AM
  • You are welcome !

With kind regards,

Cengiz Kuskaya

Monday, January 31, 2011 11:24 AM
  • Hi Dirk,

We are having the same issues you described.

Did you install all 3 hotfixes to resolve this?

We also noticed that some machines were showing "Local downlevel Document" in the local print queue but we cannot seem to locate the registry key you mentioned.

Regards,

Joseph

Wednesday, March 02, 2011 4:13 AM
  • Hi Joseph,

Yes, the hotfixes did infact fix the problem on those pc's. The users to this day has not mentioned that the problem re-occured for them. But then again, it might have and they might just have rebooted themselves, but like i said, they did not tell me that anything went wrong... Then this registry fix...

The registry entry change that I mentioned before, fixes the "Local Downlevel Document" problem as well as my first problem, from what we could see/test. Just remember that you have to restart the print spooler after changing this registry entry. But best thing is actually to restart.

Let me know how it goes for you, will be interesting to hear other experiences.

Regards.

Dirk

Wednesday, March 02, 2011 7:37 AM
  • Hi Dirk,

We do not see the "EnabledProtocols" value under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows NT\Printers?

I would rather update one registry value than pushing out 3 hotfixes to all client machines... but for now I will test if these resolve the issue.

Regards,

Joseph

Thursday, March 03, 2011 1:16 AM
  • Hi Joseph,

You have to create the entry. The area that i pasted can just be placed in a text file and saved as a .reg file. It will then automatically create the entry in the registry.

Hope it works for you too

Regards,

Dirk

Thursday, March 03, 2011 7:07 AM