none
My Computer doesn't recognize external USB hard drive

General discussion

• My Computer doesn't recognize external USB hard drive, however it does show up in Device Manager- both under disk drives as a USB device, and under USB controllers as a mass storage device. 

A different laptop I have, also running XP, does recognize it, however and I was able to initialize and format the new drive using that laptop.

I am trying to use the external drive to clone the drive on the problem laptop because its drive is full and the external drive is much bigger and I don't want to have to back up all my data and do a complete install of XP and all my programs on the new disk

Monday, December 03, 2012 10:47 PM

All replies

• With the external USB hard drive powered on and connected to your PC, restart your PC and it should be recognized.

Carey Frisch

Tuesday, December 04, 2012 2:31 AM
  • re-started several times- My Computer still doesn't recognize the drive, however it does show up in Device Manager- which also says the device is working properly.
    Tuesday, December 04, 2012 2:49 AM
  • the problem is apparently with the USB hub devices.  when i plug the drive directly into one of the laptop's USB ports, the drive shows up in My Computer
    Thursday, December 06, 2012 8:00 PM