none
Problem Ejecting USB Mass Storage Device - How to troubleshoot?

Question

• Hi,

While ejecting the USB drive (Western Digital External Hard Disk) on Vista Ultimate 32-bit, I sometimes get the following error:

---------------------------
    Problem Ejecting USB Mass Storage Device
    Windows can't stop your 'Generic volume' device because it is in use. Close any programs or windows that might be using the device, and then try again later.
    OK  

Logoff is the only way which helps me now. 

How do I troubleshoot and fix this without logging off?

Thanks,
    KSDN
    Thursday, February 12, 2009 6:50 AM

All replies

• You've tried simply waiting a bit, and trying again?
    Making sure that you don't have that drive open in Explorer?

If yes to both, then install Unlocker - it'll allow you to see what process(es) are holding the drive, as well as to stop those processes from holding it.

HTH, and, pleae report back with results,
    Chris
    [If this post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" or "Helpful" button at the top of this message. By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.]
    Friday, February 13, 2009 5:02 AM
  • Guys just go to my computer right click the device name,click on properties>Hardware>Properties>Drive>Uninstall,You will be prompted to restart your computer,restart and eject the devive.Only tested with windows xp sp2.

Good Luck From Richard Sande(Ug)

• Proposed as answer by Rk Sande Thursday, June 03, 2010 10:06 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by KSDN Friday, June 04, 2010 2:43 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Anurag G. _ Thursday, July 29, 2010 11:32 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by KSDN Friday, July 30, 2010 4:30 AM
    Thursday, June 03, 2010 10:05 PM
  • Hey Richard,

I want to eject it properly and then remove the USB drive while the PC is ON.  Everyone know that we can remove the USB drive when we shutdown/restart PC.

Your solution involves which involves Restart, which is not I require.

And please, don't Mark As Answer for your own response.  Let others decide this.

Thanks & Regards,
    Kamlesh | Blog | Twitter | Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Friday, June 04, 2010 2:45 AM
  • Chris, I am yet to try the Unlocker utility.  I am little against any 3rd party tools :)
    Thanks & Regards,
    Kamlesh | Blog | Twitter | Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Friday, June 04, 2010 2:46 AM
  • Hello,

I'm having a similar problem with my Seagate 1TB external hard drive. I'm running windows 7 (x86) and have had data loss before due to non-safe device removal, but everytime i try to it gives me the error "Problem Ejecting USB Mass Storage Device". Now i have been using Unlocker from a long time and had no problem with it and i use itif i have a flash/pen drive giving me a similar problem but i dont get a problem with small fash drives upto 32GB. But this one is a headache. And the worst part is Unlocker shows the drive is in use with Windows Explorer, Take a look at the screenshot http://i.imagehost.org/0210/Unlocker.png I have enabled the Optimise for quick removal in hardware policies as well as disable file indexing and any other service windows might use on the external drive and unlocker shows no other program using the drive. I tested it by formatting it to avoid execution of any spyware or trojan from the external drive but still in vain. I even tested this in safe mode so there wont be any 3rd party software accessing it but still same. Lemme know anyone has any other solutions.

Anurag Ghorpade.

Thursday, July 29, 2010 3:28 PM
  • Hey, It worked, i dont know what exacly is the problem, but the reinstallation of the device drivers for any external mass storage device that is detected as a local disk i.e. like an internal hard drive as in my case the seagate 1TB external drive is treated as a internal hard drive and windows runs the disk management features on it. I still have to find out what exactly it is.. but thanks anyway. kudos
    Thursday, July 29, 2010 11:37 PM
  • I am yet to find a solution.  This problem comes randomly.  Most of the time Eject operation works well.  But only during certain instances (very rarely) I get this eject problem.  When this problem happens, I really don't know how to fix it without shutting down my PC.  I do not want to use any 3rd party tool and want to troubleshoot within windows.  How to find the culprit(application/process) which is using the device???

Thanks & Regards,
    Friday, July 30, 2010 4:32 AM
  • you just have to uninstall the the device via device manager and restart the PC, after restart windows will re-install the drivers for the storage device and from then on you wont have problem safely removing/ejecting the device. you just have to do this once for every new device you are facing the problem with and it will be fixed...

• Proposed as answer by lostjuice Wednesday, January 12, 2011 8:52 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by KSDN Saturday, January 29, 2011 5:45 PM
    Friday, July 30, 2010 8:51 AM
  • Hi Anurag,

I will try as you suggest.  It may take some days to Test this, because I can do this only if I get this problem (which appears very randomly)

Thanks & Regards,
    Friday, July 30, 2010 1:16 PM
  • want to get rid of mass storage

Monday, January 10, 2011 3:07 PM
  • Hi,

While ejecting the USB drive (Western Digital External Hard Disk) on Vista Ultimate 32-bit, I sometimes get the following error:

Problem Ejecting USB Mass Storage Device
    Windows can't stop your 'Generic volume' device because it is in use. Close any programs or windows that might be using the device, and then try again later.
    OK  

Logoff is the only way which helps me now. 

How do I troubleshoot and fix this without logging off?

Thanks,
    KSDN
    I am running on a ASUS P7P55D i5 @267, i have both esata ports operational and they always have been able to eject and take esata devices i flashed the bios with a uptodate bios, problem is i get the can't stop error every time now. still looking for the solution. but if anyone has an idea please aid me along as well. 
    Sunday, January 16, 2011 6:00 AM
  • you just have to uninstall the the device via device manager and restart the PC, after restart windows will re-install the drivers for the storage device and from then on you wont have problem safely removing/ejecting the device. you just have to do this once for every new device you are facing the problem with and it will be fixed...

Tried this option.  Device was ejecting without any problem for 2 days.  Later (today) again the same problem has come back.  I think its not a solution to keep doing the "uinstall" business from Device Manager always.  I would require a better way to get this resolved.

Thanks & Regards,
    Saturday, January 29, 2011 5:47 PM

THAT WORKED FOR ME, ALTHOUGH I HAVE NO IDEA WHY  THANKS!!!!!!!

Wednesday, February 09, 2011 7:08 AM
  • I have two 1tb external hard drives. I use one for backups and the other for tools that I don't want installed on my primary hard drive as well as my VMWare player. 

I always run into problems safely removing these drives. I'm not sure if I just totally screwed up but I did the following:

1) Opened "Computer Management"

2) Under "Storage - Disk Management" I right clicked on the desired drive and selected "Offline". I was then able to safely eject my external HDD's. 

Does anyone see any problems with this? 

(no I have not yet repowered them on)

• Proposed as answer by Cambiot Sunday, November 27, 2011 10:23 AM
    Wednesday, April 20, 2011 5:03 AM
  • i had the same problem with samsung mass storage devuce.

go to computer,right click on the device,properties,hardwere,properties,uninstall softwere.

next time you use the device windows will install it automaticly.

that fixed my problem completley without losing files.

Saturday, April 23, 2011 6:41 PM
  • I had the same problem with my WD external hard drive on Windows 7.  I went to Start, Control Panel, View Devices and Printers, right clicked on the device, clicked Troubleshoot it fixed it and I was able to then eject the device by clicking on eject in the Devices and Printers window.

Hope this helps. 

• Proposed as answer by bentmusic Tuesday, June 21, 2011 1:38 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by KSDN Friday, June 24, 2011 11:49 AM
    • Proposed as answer by nmyfm Monday, July 11, 2011 12:58 PM
    Tuesday, June 21, 2011 1:38 PM
  • @totel - But how many times you will reinstall and install? 

@bentmusic - this doesn't work in my scenario.  Kindly avoid proposing your own answer.

Thanks & Regards,
    Friday, June 24, 2011 11:49 AM
  • Hi,

If I get this issue (and I'm pretty sure it's safe to remove the drive), I usually find if I open windows explorer, right-click on the drive and click Eject I get a dialog with a warning and 3 buttons - cancel, try again and continue.  The warning mentions potential data loss if I continue.  Clicking continue most force closure of any process which have locks on the drive and I'm then able to remove the device

HTH

Matt

Application Developer
    Wednesday, June 29, 2011 10:44 PM
  • Yay, thanks you smart computer person! Thank goodness I can move on to other things now.
    Monday, July 11, 2011 12:59 PM
  • for me it said no issue detected

Arron Mothersole
    Monday, January 02, 2012 11:21 AM
  • Having same problem in Windows 7 and been trying most of the above to no use.  Then went into  'Computer'->Manage->Device Manager and picked the device's Properties tab. 

In this there was a 'Policies' tab and a choice for 'Quick Removal' whereby write caching isn't done so it's safe to just disconnect the device without the 'safely remove device' icon.  It worked fine and was able to reconnect to the device with no problem right after.  No need to logoff, uninstall or do anything else but unplug the USB connection(s).

Since you would have to wait for any writing to be done before you could disconnect even with 'safely eject' icon, this sounds like a good enough method and is even shown as the default choice on the tab.

Maybe if I had the 'safely remove' / better performance choice selected, the safely remove thing would have worked.

For now I'm happy with removing the device when I want without having to do anything else.  I believe you can do the same thing via My Computer in XP and Vista but don't have those to try.  For those, try getting to the device's properties from My computer,  then the hardware tab, then select properties for the device listed under the hardware tab, and  then select the policies tab.  Select the quick disconnect policy here.

Good luck

Toni Marie

• Edited by Toni_Marie Thursday, January 05, 2012 3:58 AM
    Thursday, January 05, 2012 3:48 AM
  • Hi Toni,

I just saw the Policies tab and its a great piece of information. 

Thanks for sharing this. 

Thanks & Regards,
    Tuesday, January 17, 2012 3:35 AM
  • Hello all,

Just encountered this same problem, running Vista, with my WD passport and think I have found a solution....In my case, the culprit was searchindexer.exe, which I was then able to stop from within Task Manager.  Bingo!  It is now safe to remove hardware. 

I found the culprit with the Event Viewer (Administrative Tools).  Go to Administrative Events, under Custom Views (in Vista--see screen shot below)  and check the entries near the time that you encountered the problem --you may have to look through a few,  but you should find something like the text below, depending on what is causingyour problem. 

I was surprised to find the answer to my problem in a "Warning" entry and not an "Error".

<<The application \Device\HarddiskVolume3\Windows\System32\SearchIndexer.exe with process id 2744 stopped the removal or ejection for the device USB\VID_1058&PID_070A\575835304142393232353032>>

Hope this helps.

Cheers.

• Proposed as answer by backup admin Tuesday, July 31, 2012 9:22 PM
    Tuesday, February 21, 2012 12:40 PM
  • I have had the same problem.  Are you sharing the drive?  If so turn the sharing off then you should be able to eject the drive.
    Friday, June 29, 2012 12:01 PM
  • I have had the same problem with ejecting my external hard drive, I had tried everything in the book that MS stated to do, but nothing gave. So I opened the drive up and I opened folder options I clicked show hidden folders, and I unchecked hide protected operating system files. Low and behold I had extra Recycle Bins in there like 10 with a desktop.ini after deleting them all out I am now able to eject with out any problems.

Hope this is able to help someone else because I know it was driving me crazy...

Saturday, July 21, 2012 11:33 PM
  • Paraprosdokier,

You put me onto the correct solution, which is to look in the Sytem Eventlog.  I found my solution was different from yours, but it was your suggestion that allowed me to find it.

Problem:  Can't eject USB drive.  Can't safely remove USB drive.

Solution:  I found the solution by looking at the System Event log.  See below for the events that revealed the specific problem.

In this case, the solution was to stop monitoring E: in Media Player.

----
    wmpnetwk.exe with process id 3708 stopped the removal or ejection for the device USB

Event ID 225
    Source kernel-PnP
    ----

Device action request for device USB was vetoed by Storage\volume with veto type 6

Event ID 20011
    Source UserPnp
    -----

I've used forums since the old BBS days. Moderators are good. Moderators bring civility. But in the Expression Web forums, the most uncivil are the moderators and their entourage of thugs. They alienate customers and then abuse those who speak out against abuse.

Tuesday, July 31, 2012 9:27 PM
  • Hi there

Have had the same problem with my eSATA 1TB Hitachi.

This workaround worked in my case:

As Administrator run Computer Management. Go to Disc Management. Go to your drive and set it to offline. After that set it online again.

Eject your drive.

Regards

Sunday, January 20, 2013 9:23 PM
  • open computer, select the disk(s) and right click properties, remove the index check mark.
    Tuesday, July 16, 2013 1:25 AM
  • I have the same problem. Removing the index check did not work. I have a WD USB Drive 1TB
    Thursday, August 29, 2013 7:08 PM
  • Here is a solution that helped me and might help you.. If you delete anything once transferred on your c: drive make sure you empty your recycle bin this helped
    Thursday, March 13, 2014 9:33 PM
  • This was just what I needed. I ran Event Viewer and found that RIMBBLaunchAgent.exe was the offending process. I uninstalled Blackberry Desktop, as I no longer needed it, and the problem was solved. I can now safely remove the drive.
    Tuesday, August 19, 2014 6:39 PM