none
Windows 7 Desktop Icons Disappear???

Question

• 1.  Computer went into sleep mode and came back with no desktop icons

2.  Rebooted and Icons were back, but the taskbar across the bottom was gone.

3.  Rebooted again and the taskbar is back but all icons are gone... screen is completely blank

4.  Went into the start menu and it appears that I can open files since they show on my taskbar at the bottom... but they will not open on my screen.

5.  I have rebooted over a dozen times and I'm stuck with a taskbar and a blank screen

6.  My internet works and opens on the computer screen... but no other documents will.  I was able to send and email to myself and attach the documents I need from this computer without a problem... I just cannot open/see them.

I cannot perform any of the fixes I've read since I cannot open a link or a window or even Ctrl-Alt-Delete.  Any help is appreciated.

Saturday, August 11, 2012 4:32 PM

Answers

• Here is an answer from Shinmila (answers.microsoft.com):

To troubleshoot the issue, please perform these steps.

Method 1: Disable screen savers

Some screen savers can interfere with the computer’s ability to go into and come out of sleep/standby mode. Disabling or changing the screen saver may resolve the problem.

Refer: Turn your screen saver on or off

Method 2: Run Powercfg command

Run Powercfg Command-Line Options to check the devices that wakes your computer. One of these devices could be causing the sleep issue.

Step 1:

To run powercfg command:

a.    Go to start and type cmd.

b.    Right-Click on cmd and select “Run as Administrator”.

c.    Type “powercfg –lastwake”without the quotes on the command prompt and press Enter. This reports information about the event that woke the computer from the last sleep transition.

d.    To get the most detailed info (and probably easiest) on the device that wakes your Windows up during the sleep, type:

“powercfg –devicequery wake_armed” without the quotesand press Enter.

This lists devices that are currently configured to wake the computer from any sleep state.

If there are multiple devices listed, you may remove or disable one device at a time till you figure out the culprit device.

Referral link for the command:

Powercfg Command-Line Options
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc748940%28WS.10%29.aspx

To disable the device:

a.    Go to start and type device manager.

b.    Select device manager from the control panel list.

c.    Right-click on the device and select “Disable”.

Step 3: Disable the device to wake the computer

Once you figure out which device is causing the sleep issue, perform these steps to disable the device from interfering with the sleep mode from the device manager.

Procedure to do so:

c.    Locate any one of these devices: Network Adapter, Mouse and keyboard.

d.    Right-click and select “Properties”.

e.    Go to power management tab and uncheck “Allow this device to wake the computer”.

f.     Test by putting your computer to sleep.

g.    Repeat this process for the remaining devices from step c.

Regards

Milos

Sunday, August 12, 2012 8:24 AM

All replies

• Here is an answer from Shinmila (answers.microsoft.com):

To troubleshoot the issue, please perform these steps.

Method 1: Disable screen savers

Some screen savers can interfere with the computer’s ability to go into and come out of sleep/standby mode. Disabling or changing the screen saver may resolve the problem.

Refer: Turn your screen saver on or off

Method 2: Run Powercfg command

Run Powercfg Command-Line Options to check the devices that wakes your computer. One of these devices could be causing the sleep issue.

Step 1:

To run powercfg command:

a.    Go to start and type cmd.

b.    Right-Click on cmd and select “Run as Administrator”.

c.    Type “powercfg –lastwake”without the quotes on the command prompt and press Enter. This reports information about the event that woke the computer from the last sleep transition.

d.    To get the most detailed info (and probably easiest) on the device that wakes your Windows up during the sleep, type:

“powercfg –devicequery wake_armed” without the quotesand press Enter.

This lists devices that are currently configured to wake the computer from any sleep state.

If there are multiple devices listed, you may remove or disable one device at a time till you figure out the culprit device.

Referral link for the command:

Powercfg Command-Line Options
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc748940%28WS.10%29.aspx

To disable the device:

c.    Right-click on the device and select “Disable”.

Step 3: Disable the device to wake the computer

Once you figure out which device is causing the sleep issue, perform these steps to disable the device from interfering with the sleep mode from the device manager.

Procedure to do so:

c.    Locate any one of these devices: Network Adapter, Mouse and keyboard.

d.    Right-click and select “Properties”.

e.    Go to power management tab and uncheck “Allow this device to wake the computer”.

f.     Test by putting your computer to sleep.

g.    Repeat this process for the remaining devices from step c.

Regards

Milos

Sunday, August 12, 2012 8:24 AM
  • Thank you!

Unfortunately... I cannot do any of what you wrote because I cannot get a screen to display on my computer.  The only screen that will open is the internet.

Again, all my icons are gone and I have a blank screen with a taskbar on the bottom.  I can bring up the internet but I cannot get any other screen up.  I can also open programs that will appear on my taskbar - but I cannot see them.

Strange, I know, but I've been told it's a Windows 7 issue.

gary magnum

Monday, August 13, 2012 3:13 PM
  • Hi ,

It may be the program is running but somewhere off screen. Open a program, Shift+ right-clicking the program taskbar icon and select Move option and see if the program screen will pop up.

Also, boot in safe mode to test the issue.

If any progress, please let us know.

Tracy Cai

TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, August 15, 2012 1:51 AM
  • Thanks Tracy... but still no success. 

gary magnum

Tuesday, August 21, 2012 5:30 PM
  • Hi ,

You can perform the system restore through system recovery options at boot.

1. Start or Restart the computer, press F8 every second until you see the Advanced Boot Options.

2. Select Repair your computer and press Enter.

3. Select your keyboard language preferences and click on Next.

4. Select your user name and type in the password, and then click on OK.

5. Select the System Restore option.

Please check whether there is a restore point before that. If so, you can try to restore it use the previous point to check the result.

If the issue persists, you could repair your system with Windows 7 DVD or System Repair Disc.

1.Boot your computer using Windows DVD. When install Windows dialog appears.

2.Select your preferred settings from Time and currency format and Keyboard or input method boxes, click next.  If using Windows Vista/7 System Repair Disc, System Recovery Options dialog appears instead. Here you can only select the appropriate keyboard layout.

3.Click Repair your computer in the lower left corner. System Repair Disc skips this step and continues with looking for Windows installations.

4.Select the Operation system which need to repair.

5.Then, you need to select an administrator's user name and enter the password.

6.Select System Image Recovery.

More information about Restore your computer from a system image backup, please see: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Restore-your-computer-from-a-system-image-backup

Tracy Cai

TechNet Community Support

Thursday, August 23, 2012 12:46 AM
  • Thanks Tracy, but what you're suggesting above is completing wiping out my computer and losing everything - which I was trying to avoid.  What I found out is that my Windows 7 system, for whatever reason, thinks there are two screens (2 monitors) attached to my computer.  I was able to go into the display mode and select a setting for both monitors to appear on each screen (mirror image) and get my computer fully operational again.  However, I cannot figure out why my system thinks there are 2 monitors connected.

gary magnum

Saturday, August 25, 2012 2:42 AM