none
Cannot complete backup. I keep getting error messages

Question

• Hi there. I seem to be having the same problem as everyone else here.
    I am running Windows 7 Professional 64 bit that I received free through MSDNAA and my Technical College. I am trying to backup to my WD Passport Essential 320GB portable hard drive. I am extremely frustrated right now. I have been looking all over to try and find an answer. Everytime I try to do a backup, I either get error code 0x80070002 or 81000037. I have gone through all the posts and have tried everything. I am using Microsoft Security Essentials so I tried turning off real time protection. That did not work so I tried going in and deselecting "APPDATA", which did not work. I have no idea about the whole library thing that was discussed. I have been spending way too much time trying to resolve this problem! Please help me!!! If you are going to need me to zip that system drive file and email it, I am going to need directions on how to find it and do so as well.
    Friday, December 04, 2009 7:01 AM

Answers

• Hi,

I would like to confirm that can you backup the files to your local hard disk?

After searching from the Internet, I find that this issue may occur if there are duplicate accounts on the computer.

I would like to suggest you perform the following steps to check the issue.

Since modifying the registry improperly may cause damage to the system, we can first follow the step 1 below to back up the registry key.

Step 1: Backup registry key

=========================

1. Click Start, click Run, input "REGEDIT" (without quotation marks) in the Search box and press Enter.

2. Navigate to the following registry key by expanding the "+" beside the registry tree in the left pane:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/Microsoft/Windows NT/CurrentVersion/ProfileList

3. Right click on "ProfileList", click "Export"; please name the file as "RegBackup" (without quotation marks) and then save it to the C:\ drive as a backup.

Note: In case we need to undo the modification, we can double click this RegBackup.reg file to restore the registry key.

Step 2: Delete the duplicate account

1. Click the Start button, type “regedit” (without quotation marks) in the Search box and press Enter.

2. Navigate to the following registry key by expanding the "+" beside the registry tree in the left pane:

3. Delete the duplicate profile list keys there.

4. Exit the registry editor and reboot the computer to check the results.

What’s the result?

Arthur Li - MSFT
    Wednesday, December 09, 2009 4:49 AM
  • Please disreguard my email. There must of been a problem with my registry. I installed a cleaner since the last time I tried the backup and I just created a system image to my external hard drive and it worked.
    Sunday, January 31, 2010 12:25 AM

All replies

• jdkrockstar,
    It appears that it may be an issue with the WD Passport. Connect the passport, select start, my computer, then right click the passport drive and select properties. Select the security tab and review the permissions. Your current user and Adminstrator should have full permissions.  OK and close. Then test backup.

Also, as you are not using the WD Smartware, disable the Smartware and apply the firmware update from Western Digital here. Be sure to follow the precautions mentioned or you could lose any data on the drive.

Post back with your result.
    • Edited by Nano Warp Friday, December 04, 2009 11:33 AM add'l info added
    Friday, December 04, 2009 11:31 AM
  • Hi jdkrockstar,

Thanks for trying out Windows backup. To get to the exact problem for the failures, please send me the following details:

1. What have you selected to backup and exact error details that whether it is 0x80070002 or 0x8100037.

2. Details of user profiles existing on the system. To get the list of users please go to Change Settings on Backup and Restore CPL. Select "Let me choose" option on "What do you want to backup?" page and take screenshot of the next wizard page with the tree view. Save this screenshot as .png file.

3. Library config details. They lie under <systemdrive>\Users\<username>\Appdata\Microsoft\Windows\Libraries. Zip this folder and send across.

Please send these file at nehaa_at_microsoft_dot_com. (Please remove underscores and replace words with symbols wherever applicable).

Thanks,
    Neha[MSFT]

Friday, December 04, 2009 12:10 PM
  • Hi jdrockstar,

I am looking forward to solve your problem, please revert back with details. If the problem is already resolved please update the thread with the findings.

Thanks,
    Neha[MSFT]
    Tuesday, December 08, 2009 6:13 AM
  • Hi,

I would like to confirm that can you backup the files to your local hard disk?

After searching from the Internet, I find that this issue may occur if there are duplicate accounts on the computer.

I would like to suggest you perform the following steps to check the issue.

Since modifying the registry improperly may cause damage to the system, we can first follow the step 1 below to back up the registry key.

Step 1: Backup registry key

1. Click Start, click Run, input "REGEDIT" (without quotation marks) in the Search box and press Enter.

3. Right click on "ProfileList", click "Export"; please name the file as "RegBackup" (without quotation marks) and then save it to the C:\ drive as a backup.

Note: In case we need to undo the modification, we can double click this RegBackup.reg file to restore the registry key.

Step 2: Delete the duplicate account

1. Click the Start button, type “regedit” (without quotation marks) in the Search box and press Enter.

3. Delete the duplicate profile list keys there.

4. Exit the registry editor and reboot the computer to check the results.

What’s the result?

Arthur Li - MSFT
    Wednesday, December 09, 2009 4:49 AM
  • Yea...that did not work!!! Luckily for me I am a IT Networking student because when I did what you told me to do I could no longer log into my account. I got: The user profile service service failed the logon. User profile cannot be loaded. I had to restore to an earlier version and luckily for me it had just done one 2 hours ago or I would of been really upset.
    Wednesday, December 16, 2009 12:32 PM
  • I took 2 screenshots of the tree but I was unable to find the library config details. How do I go about finding it?
    Wednesday, December 16, 2009 12:58 PM
  • Sorry it took so long to get back to you. My user account did not have full permissions so I changed that. I tried to create a system image again and got this: The system cannot find the file specified (0x80070002). I am not sure how to disable the Smartware and when I downloaded and unzipped the firmware update I got this message on the updater: No drive found. Please insert a WD Smartware drive to continue, then click rescan. 
    Wednesday, December 16, 2009 1:01 PM
  • Hi,

Can you backup to your local hard disk?

I would like to suggest you reinstall the USB controllers for the external hard disk.

Reinstall USB controllers

-----------------------------

Use the Mouse

================

First, please disconnect all USB devices and then perform the following steps:

1. Click "Start" button, type “devmgmt.msc” (without quotation marks) in the “Search” bar and press "Enter". Click “Continue” if necessary.

2. In Device Manager, double click to expand "Universal Serial Bus controllers", right click on the Host Controller, click "Uninstall" and click "OK".

3. Repeat the step 2 to uninstall all items under "Universal Serial Bus controllers".

Then, restart your computer and Windows 7 will reinstall all USB controllers automatically.

Use the Keyboard

================

First, please disconnect all USB devices. Then, go through the following steps:

1. Press "Ctrl + Esc" to open the “Start” menu.

2. Type “devmgmt.msc” in the Search bar and press "Enter". Click “Continue” if necessary.

3. In Device Manger, press Tab and use "Up" and "Down" to move the highlight to "Universal Serial Bus Controllers".

4. Press "Right" and expand it.

5. Press "Down" to move to the first item and press "Delete" to remove it.

6. Repeat the step 5 and uninstall all items under "Universal Serial Bus Controllers".

Then, restart your computer and Windows 7 will reinstall all controllers automatically.

What’s the result?

If you also cannot backup to the local hard disk, I would like to suggest you perform an In-Place upgrade to repair the system.

Good luck!

Arthur Li - MSFT
    Thursday, December 17, 2009 6:01 AM
  • Hi,

Did you try file folder backup, does that succeed?

You can find your library config files in <system drive>\Users\<Username>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Libraries. Please browse to this folder, the files inside are of type .library-ms, you can see this extension in their properties. Zip this folder, its size will be in order of some KBs.

Failure logs are located at <systemdrive>\Windows\Logs\WindowsBackup. Zip this as well.

Please send across this information to nehaa_at_microsoft_dot_com(Remove underscores and replace words with symbols wherever applicable). Thanks for your cooperation. 

Thanks,
    Neha
    Thursday, December 17, 2009 6:16 AM
  • Sorry it's taken me so long Neha. I will be sending those zipped files momentarily
    Friday, January 29, 2010 11:14 PM
  • Please disreguard my email. There must of been a problem with my registry. I installed a cleaner since the last time I tried the backup and I just created a system image to my external hard drive and it worked.
    Sunday, January 31, 2010 12:25 AM