none
Locked out of windows 8 and can't reset my password.

Question

• Hi,

I got randomly locked out of my Windows 8 the other night.  I left my computer on with Pandora playing while I went to sleep.  When I woke up I didn't log into my laptop after it automatically went to sleep mode after a few minutes.  I put it away and later took it back out and tried to log on, but I couldn't log on.  A message kept on coming up saying that my PC was offline.  Please use the password you last logged in with.  I tried using the last password and it didn't work.  I used every password I knew of that I had and even made sure I didnt mistype it.  I didn't get any reset discs when I bought the computer and I can't find any helpful places to reset my password.  How should I?

Friday, January 11, 2013 6:55 PM

Answers

All replies

• Try this: one of the easiest methods

http://pogostick.net/~pnh/ntpasswd/

Friday, January 11, 2013 8:38 PM
  • Blue boy, does it work with Windows 8?  The referenced page only indicates support up to Windows 7 and I suspect you might have problems with a secure boot PC.

Jerry

Friday, January 11, 2013 8:45 PM
  • now hold on the second, from the users of the this pass reset app i wanna know, so are you saying any one who knows this app could use it to hack in to windows 8 running system??

ps- i know you have posted it for the good purpose, but if it can be used to hack then all windows users are in a hole!

I use Visual studio 2010 professional and SQL server 2008 developer edition!

Saturday, January 12, 2013 2:12 AM
  • now hold on the second, from the users of the this pass reset app i wanna know, so are you saying any one who knows this app could use it to hack in to windows 8 running system??

ps- i know you have posted it for the good purpose, but if it can be used to hack then all windows users are in a hole!

I use Visual studio 2010 professional and SQL server 2008 developer edition!

I've used tools like this for years. You need to boot the computer to the tool to reset passwords.

This is no big deal. The first rule of security is: If someone has physical access to your computer, then you have no security.

This is true for any operating system on any machine. Data is typically not encrypted on a hard drive, meaning the only thing stopping you from accessing it is the operating system respecting your password. Booting any other operating system from a flash drive, cd, etc. will allow you to bypass that.

Encrypting an entire drive makes it much harder to access, but still not impossible. Booting another OS could allow a copy to be made which could be brute forced at leisure. A usb keylogger surreptitiously installed in a hard to see usb port, or even bios or firmware modification could allow capture of the encrypted drive password. Heck, with sophisticated equipment, even physical access isn't needed as keystrokes can be recorded remotely via monitoring of electromagnetic frequencies (called a tempest attack). That is incredibly unlikely however, unless you've ticked off a government somewhere.

Never allow physical access to your computer to anyone you do not trust. Passwords won't save you. They aren't meant to.

Saturday, January 12, 2013 2:51 AM
  • Hi,

Please make sure you have an Internet connection when you are using Microsoft account to login Windows 8. Or you can use your local account to log in.

Alex Zhao
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, January 15, 2013 6:52 AM
  • But does this work for windows 8? Windows 8 has a secure boot option that needs to be disabled before you can system boot it using a CD or USB. 
    Tuesday, August 20, 2013 8:11 PM
  • I also had ever locked out of my Windows 8 computer and had no way to solve it before, until recently my friends sent and article that talks about how to reset Windows 8 password when locked out of Windows 8, I think it is quite helpful to me, you may do some reading:

http://www.recoverlostpassword.com/article/reset-windows-8-password.html

Saturday, February 22, 2014 8:37 AM