none
Program Data Folder

Question

• In Vista you have a Program Data in addition to Program Files. What is Program Data for? Can I delete the files in it, as it is eating up my HDD space each time I install drivers or related stuff?

Thanks

Awdhil

Wednesday, April 23, 2008 9:19 AM

Answers

•  

Hi

The All Users profile has been renamed Public to better describe its purpose. (Anything stored in this folder is publicly available to all users on the computer.) The contents of certain subfolders within this profile, such as Desktop, merge with the user’s own profile when the user logs on to the computer, just as the All Users profile did in Windows XP. As with All Users in Windows XP the Public profile in Windows Vista has no per-user registry hive because the operating system never loads the profile. In addition, application data previously stored in the All Users profile in Windows XP is now stored in the hidden %SystemDrive%\ProgramData folder in Windows Vista.

For more information about ProgramData, you can refer to the following site:

http://www.vistaheads.com/forums/microsoft-public-windows-vista-installation-setup/176056-program-files-programdata.html

Please Note: Since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

hope it helps.

Tim Quan - MSFT

Thursday, April 24, 2008 2:40 AM
  • Awdhil

No, do not delete this folder, It is an essential component in Vista.

The ProgramData folder contains all your application data, like program settings, user data, etc, for all of the installed programs on the computer.

Just for reference, the ProgramData folder holds the same files that were contained in the

\Documents and Settings\All Users  and  \Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data folders in XP.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Windows Desktop Experience

Wednesday, April 23, 2008 10:00 PM
  • Awdhil

The SWSETUP folder appears to be a folder that is found on HP computers.

There are a lot of descriptions on the internet and it appears that this folder may contain backup copies of HP installed software and drivers.

Before deleting the folder, I would recommend checking with HP to make sure it is safe to delete.

Search HP US - Search results for 'swsetup':
    http://search.hp.com/query.html?cc=us&lang=en&search=++&qt=SWSETUP&la=en

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Thursday, April 24, 2008 3:58 PM

All replies

• Awdhil

No, do not delete this folder, It is an essential component in Vista.

The ProgramData folder contains all your application data, like program settings, user data, etc, for all of the installed programs on the computer.

Just for reference, the ProgramData folder holds the same files that were contained in the

\Documents and Settings\All Users  and  \Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data folders in XP.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP

Wednesday, April 23, 2008 10:00 PM
  •  

Hi

The All Users profile has been renamed Public to better describe its purpose. (Anything stored in this folder is publicly available to all users on the computer.) The contents of certain subfolders within this profile, such as Desktop, merge with the user’s own profile when the user logs on to the computer, just as the All Users profile did in Windows XP. As with All Users in Windows XP the Public profile in Windows Vista has no per-user registry hive because the operating system never loads the profile. In addition, application data previously stored in the All Users profile in Windows XP is now stored in the hidden %SystemDrive%\ProgramData folder in Windows Vista.

For more information about ProgramData, you can refer to the following site:

http://www.vistaheads.com/forums/microsoft-public-windows-vista-installation-setup/176056-program-files-programdata.html

Please Note: Since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

hope it helps.

Tim Quan - MSFT

Thursday, April 24, 2008 2:40 AM
  •  

Thank you for your replies.... But I have been totally stupid..... I was reading some post on program Data folder and mentioned that....

Whereas what I meant to ask was about the folder C:\SWSETUP

Again apologies for the mistake. Would be helpful if you could reply...

Thursday, April 24, 2008 10:04 AM
  • Awdhil

The SWSETUP folder appears to be a folder that is found on HP computers.

There are a lot of descriptions on the internet and it appears that this folder may contain backup copies of HP installed software and drivers.

Before deleting the folder, I would recommend checking with HP to make sure it is safe to delete.

Search HP US - Search results for 'swsetup':
    http://search.hp.com/query.html?cc=us&lang=en&search=++&qt=SWSETUP&la=en

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Thursday, April 24, 2008 3:58 PM